Thomas Keller menu

Kevnzworld

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting video.

The Ad Hoc at Home concept in the Colonnade looks to be a step down in presentation from what I'm used to with the same concept in Yountville. The presentation is certainly more appealing in land where it's reliant on a daily rotation of goodies from the French Laundry garden. Now that I've seen it, I too question its execution at sea although I still think it's a good fit for rotation in the Colonnade if they can get the execution down.

I thought the Thomas Keller dishes in the MDR looked fine. It seems this menu addition is intended to be more of a supplement versus replacement of the classics we know. Likely no different than how the international airlines utilize celebrity chefs to supplement the first class menu offerings. (I've learned that I rarely enjoy the celebrity dishes - while they sound good, those chefs often don't understand the complexity of flavor changes at 40,000 feet or the construction in a commercial galley oven so the dishes often end up tasting bland!)

Overall, I still think the partnership is a win and I'm excited to try some of the dishes myself!

As stated by the narrator in the video this is just the beginning. A concept like this cannot emerge fully formed and perfect from day one. There will be experimentation, development and improvement. So let's give it a chance before we sit on our high chairs and pooh pooh it. Personally, I found the presentation in the MDR menus stunning. And if the taste is not yet up to par there are always bread sticks, cheeseburgers and fries!

As stated by the narrator in the video this is just the beginning. A concept like this cannot emerge fully formed and perfect from day one. There will be experimentation, development and improvement. So let's give it a chance before we sit on our high chairs and pooh pooh it. Personally, I found the presentation in the MDR menus stunning. And if the taste is not yet up to par there are always bread sticks, cheeseburgers and fries!

wripro =- we do not often agree, but I am 100% with you on the breadsticks, cheeseburgers (without bun for me) and fries. Recently sadly no soft flavoured butter to go with the breadsticks; hope this may return.:)

Thanks for posting the video- TK was exactly as you have portrayed it- definitely not 5/6 star cuisine. The lobster dish was as though the 'broth' was neat soya sauce, maybe watered down with chicken stock, almost inedible ruining the delicate lobster taste. When we ordered TK the waiters would say, you probably won't like it as everyone has sent theirs back, but you can have something else. Yes we did send dishes back. We found a distinct lack of vegetables, maybe a prune or two with the heavily processed pork loin 'roast' similar to a turkey roast roll. Grandmas trifle looked nice but had just a spoonful of apple in the base of the eggcup shaped dish with the cream on top, very ordinary. We 'shared' the 'family ribs' with 4 strangers, more like a medieval banquet with the meat in the large silver 'dog's bowl' , no tongs , eating with your fingers and with a mound of spinach for each person under the meat and a corn that you can buy in vacuum packs off the shelf-' motto is right - feel at home! Wine in help yourself carafes with tumblers, and the dessert as shown in 'old jam jars'... And of course there's no choice, eat what you get!

NZ belle - thanks for the frank report on the sharing menu. I am surprised there were no tongs for serving the ribs, and certainly do not like the sound of a carafe of wine - I don't mind pouring my own, but it sounds as if you were expected to have whatever was in the carafe; not the usual choice if you asked?

Further thoughts - we really do not like wine served in tumblers (they do it on Regent at lunchtime in the casual cafe). Rustic type glasses but with a short stem would more suitable. I also do not like the sound of spinach under the ribs in the dish - messy. Eating with your fingers - fine if you don't mind it, which I don't, but did they provide you with finger bowls and towels afterwards?

I am sure that there will be a lot more 'tweaking' before the full rollout, and wonder if those who have already sampled these dishes were asked for their opinions. I hope so, preferably in writing. And also that the F and B people at head office are keeping an eye on this thread.

Tell that to some of the people on the forums that get angry when food isn't touched up to look pretty and instead looks how its actually served.;)

Unfortunately, too many people get angry at some of the silliest things I've ever heard.

Apologies for being silly about the ribs - obviously you were not meant to eat them with your fingers if baked beans were also involved. Talking of which, they might not have been Heinz, but still - baked beans?[/quote

Madam, beans in various forms--with bits of pork, or bacon, or rind, or molasses--are one of the classic accompaniments to ribs.

Apologies for being silly about the ribs - obviously you were not meant to eat them with your fingers if baked beans were also involved. Talking of which, they might not have been Heinz, but still - baked beans?[/quote

Madam, beans in various forms--with bits of pork, or bacon, or rind, or molasses--are one of the classic accompaniments to ribs.

I like Baked Beans.

Just saying .......... :cool:

NZ belle - thanks for the frank report on the sharing menu. I am surprised there were no tongs for serving the ribs, and certainly do not like the sound of a carafe of wine - I don't mind pouring my own, but it sounds as if you were expected to have whatever was in the carafe; not the usual choice if you asked?

We were on the Odyssey when they first rolled this concept out, as I noted on another post. The carafe was of whatever wine you requested, and multiple carafes if different choices from your dinner companions or if you changed wines after the salad. So your choice: not forced on you by Seabourn.

I did not watch the video but all 3 times we had the family style TK dinner we were given separate serving utensils plus the normal knife and fork so you did not have to eat with your fingers unless so inclined.

We rejoin the O next week and am very much looking forward to it!

Thanks for elucidation on the serving of ribs - as an elderly Brit. I must admit to not knowing how they 'should' be served, and with what accompaniments. We have our own awful habit of eating them with fingers from one bowl, with chips (fries) eaten with fingers from another bowl! Obviously not how it should be done.

Also pleased to hear about the choice of wine, though I can't help thinking it would be easier all round if it just came out of the bottle as usual, possibly with you pouring it out for yourself?

I am pretty sure the serving utensils were a large fork and spoon, I agree tongs might make it easier but it worked for us. I am with you on the tumblers: neither of us like them - my wife really does not like them, which may have something to do with the fact she has small hands; and while the wine selection was not limited, I am not sure why it now is serve yourself and I suspect more is going to waste as not all tables may finish the carafe(s).

The seasoning and cooking style of Ribs in the U.S. and what accompanies them is very much a regional thing.