Thomas Keller menu

Kevnzworld

With all the rubbish about Noro being written here one would think that sharing a lift with others would be enough for Seabourn to get rid of them and just have stairs without hand rails.

I would worry if I saw someone on the same table liking a serving spoon and then putting it back in the dish.

;) I suspect that may go over some heads....

That he caught on to a spelling error? Reminds me of a story (not verified) from staff on Crystal. It seems a woman was ending her cruise and then going to her grandsons wedding. She had intended to give him tableware. The problem was she had acquired her tableware from each of the different restaurants on board. Her stewardess noticed the hidden items and customs was asked to check her bags on disembarkation. She had eight full sets from each venue. I wonder if she ever made the wedding.

Based on some comments in the Seabourn Sailors Facebook group, it does appear that parties as large as 6 are serving out of one dish on the Ad Hoc nights in the Colonnade.

I will remember to plan for those as nights with 2-4 people and not a larger group - not ideal to have to pass around large casseroles for serving!

I have also just got off Sojourn where the old fashioned menus were in force. We ate well and I never struggled to find a plate of food. The meal on the way home was a bump back down to earth. When we next board in December TK will have sprinkled his magic.

Speaking with the restaurant there is a concern that with TK being prepared a la minute there may be some delays in getting dishes out. But let's wait and see.

I'm a glass half full kind of guy and I welcome the opportunity to try new food options. I have no idea who Thomas Keller is, haven't dined in any of his eateries and will judge as I find rather than compare to land based establishments.

It is early days. Chefs are being trained, food logistics finalised and ultimately I suspect we will have to work within the confines of what is possible in South America / Asia / Antarctica / Alaska or some bunch of Islands in the Mediteranian. See it as TK inspired rather than a direct copy of his restaurant.

Also let Seabourn roll out the programme and make any adjustments they see fit.

You can't please everyone all the time and I would be so bold as to suggest that many posters on here form the margins of guest opinion rather than the 50th percentile. Comments about dining room availability for instance. The fact that when open for breakfast or lunch between 0 and 6 people are there out of a potential 450 says something which the ship can't ignore.

Similarly when they close breakfast at 9.30 after putting the clocks forward the night before they realise the error and react accordingly as late comers arrive unaware of the changes.

Seabourn don't want to intentionally peace people off. They want to try and raise the bar.

Henry :)

The TK dishes will not be inspired dishes.

We are just off of the Odyssey and on one evening one of the TK dishes was pulled as the salmon that was brought onboard was not up to the standard and could not leave the kitchen under the TK banner, so a dish was created on the usual menu to use it.

It will be interesting to see how this develops as the ships move around the world and getting precise ingredients maybe more challenging.

jimmyw9

Hard to believe anyone will book SB just because there is a big name chef in theory doing menus on board . The franchising of high end chefs is getting nuts. Charlie trotter never did it. We cruise SB because its SB ,dine when and where you want.See you on board late jan in Aukland

Hard to believe anyone will book SB just because there is a big name chef in theory doing menus on board . The franchising of high end chefs is getting nuts. Charlie trotter never did it. We cruise SB because its SB ,dine when and where you want.See you on board late jan in Aukland

IME very wide restaurant experience you can always tell when it is "chef inspired" vs a chef in place menu.

Give me a chef with less accolades that can create from what he has on hand versus a cook following a recipe any day...

FWIW I've probably eaten at around 20 top 100s on the San Pellegrino list... only 1 or 2 have really blasted me away... and the chef was in house on that night

Edited by MrsWaldo

I apologize for being off topic. Kauaijim, I noticed you are embarking in Auckland in Jan. If you are (as I am) vacationing in Hawaii before the trip to Auckland (Jan 2017) I was wondering if you have any advice on flying from HNL to AKL. Air New Zealand seems the best choice but their business class looks iffy. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks.

By the way, the best meal I ever had was a hot dog in 1954 at Memorial Stadium in Baltimore when my Dad took me to see Ted Williams. If there is a point to this it's that ambiance is the most important part of a meal for me. And Seabourn has it. Sounds like TK will be a nice addition as long as it doesn't restrict us too much.

Air NZ Business class is absolutely superb! It wins awards every year for being the best. I wouldn't have any fear over flying with them. I have never found a better business class on any airline.

Why do you think it is 'iffy'?

I'd like to fully endorse Air NZ Business Class too. Apart from the friendly Kiwi service the trans Pacific schedules mean overnight flights in both directions so you arrive early in the morning and ready to go. We travel this route a few times a year and have never had a problem, unlike other airlines I could mention (looking at you Qantas and United).

Meanwhile, back to Thomas Keller, the Emperor isn't wearing any clothes.

Im looking at Air NZ for an upcoming cruise. Can those that have flow it compare/contrast its business class to say Untied (intentional), Delta, BA or Lufthansa?

nolatravelgirl needs to weigh in here - I think she's had the basis for comparison you are looking for.

My Air New Zealand experiences were a few years ago (I don't do much Star A) but I was pleased with their offerings compared with other two-class aircraft. I was on a OW F RTW at the time though so my bar was pretty high.

Air NZ operate Boeing 777 aircraft on their trans Pacific routes to/from Auckland and Vancouver, San Francisco and LA. Overnight flights mean an early morning arrival which really helps with jetlag. Business class is in the offset "herringbone" 1-2-1 configuration with proper lie-flat horizontal seats/beds. Good in flight entertainment and in our experience the relaxed, warm, friendly service is always spot on.

The other airlines operating these routes don't come close in my opinion. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend Air NZ.

Note: I have absolutely no business or personal connection with Air NZ, I'm just a big fan.

Thanks, everyone, for the Air NZ input. My "iffy" comment was based on this. According to their website, they fly 3 aircraft on the HNL-AKL route. Two are 777s. One is the 767. 777 is lie flat . The 767 is not, 15 degree pitch. When I test book HNL-AKL all I get is 767s. So, I'm not certain we will be comfortable on a long flight. Think I'll call them. Thanks again.

Im looking at Air NZ for an upcoming cruise. Can those that have flow it compare/contrast its business class to say Untied (intentional), Delta, BA or Lufthansa?

You cannot compare it to United. United is like taking the bus, even in business. Air NZ id one of the premier business class products in the world.

We had a very cheeky flight attendant on the LA - AUK route several years ago who brought around the sheepskin pads for the "beds" asking about pillow preferences & said: "I would tell you a bedtime story "luv" if I knew one....awwww. Slept like lambs. Another vote for ANZ

Back to the original topic: we dined at the Family style dinners several times. We enjoyed the food - each has their own tastes so don't accept what someone else tells you - especially the ribs. I would not want to have this more than once or twice per cruise, supposedly there will be up to 5 different offerings going forward. Like any other time, you can opt out of the "suggested" wine offering and get whatever you prefer or buy a bottle during the "family-style" dinners. They did pour the wine into a little carafe - which I liked as I could refill my glass as I wanted.

The crew has separate uniforms for these dinners (black jeans and shirts), there are different plates used only for these dinners, and they play music in the Colonnade (mostly soft rock) a little too loudly IMO. I liked the food, but would prefer not having the attempt at a hip environment. Plus I wonder how much $ was spent on the separate plates and uniforms only used for these family style dinners?

I fail to understand the issue people raised about sharing utensils - they bring a bowel of salad or meat w/ the fixings to the table with the appropriate large spoon, fork, etc. and you help yourself. How is that any different from serving yourself from the chafing dish at the buffet w/ a spoon someone else just used to serve them?

I fail to understand the issue people raised about sharing utensils - they bring a bowel of salad or meat w/ the fixings to the table with the appropriate large spoon, fork, etc. and you help yourself. How is that any different from serving yourself from the chafing dish at the buffet w/ a spoon someone else just used to serve them?

Or any Asian restaurant of any class anywhere in the world.....