20 yr olds in cabin

sunscreen

We have two cabins booked for our upcoming cruise. one for my DH and myself and the other for our 20 yr old daughter and her friend (20) When we booked we had to put one adult in each room. When we get onboard can we go to desk and ask to have my keycard switched out with hers so I can be in our balcony room and she can be in the inside stateroom with her friend?

We have two cabins booked for our upcoming cruise. one for my DH and myself and the other for our 20 yr old daughter and her friend (20) When we booked we had to put one adult in each room. When we get onboard can we go to desk and ask to have my keycard switched out with hers so I can be in our balcony room and she can be in the inside stateroom with her friend?

Yes, you can switch once you are onboard. They can issue extra keys to the guests that want to change staterooms.

Is their cabin next to, or directly across from, your cabin? If so, you do not have to book one adult into each room, and it would be easiest to switch the names beforehand.

Otherwise, the switched people will carry two cards: The original one to the "wrong" cabin which they will need to get on and off the ship, for onboard charges, for reservations (if applicable), etc. And the extra key to open the door to the cabin in which they are sleeping.

Is their cabin next to, or directly across from, your cabin? If so, you do not have to book one adult into each room, and it would be easiest to switch the names beforehand.

Donna's right.

The only catch is that this arrangement has to be made on the phone with Royal Caribbean as the automated booking systems won't permit it.

We've booked several cruises in the past with us in one cabin and our underage boys in the cabin next door. No problems whatsoever.

This is not correct.

The 2nd 20 year old is not the OP's daughter. She's a family friend. In this case the 2 staterooms must be booked with a 21yo+ occupant in each.

They can switch keys once on the ship.

Edited by AdGuyMG

This is not correct.

The 2nd 20 year old is not the OP's daughter. She's a family friend. In this case the 2 staterooms must be booked with a 21yo+ occupant in each.

We were allowed to book our 20 year old daughter with a 20 year old friend alone in a stateroom a bit down the hall from us. We had our TA handle it.

Edited by clarea

This is not correct.

You are WRONG. We have done it multiple times.

On our upcoming February cruise, we have booked our 15-year old daughter and 13-year old son in an adjacent room (I say adjacent as it's next door but not technically adjoining as there is no connecting door). It was no problem and it's clearly stated on the documentation that the kids are in one room and my husband and I in the other.

Likewise, we booked our 18-year old son and 18-year old nephew in a room across the hall from us on a previous cruise. We were told as long as a responsible adult was in a nearby room we could do that. We had 20 people, including 8 children all together on that cruise, with all but the youngest two (ages 3 and 6) in their own rooms, next to responsible adults, not necessarily parents in every case, either. Aunts and Uncles and Grandparents acted as guardians in some cases.

The key might be doing it via phone. We booked both cruises by phone. Maybe with automation on the website you can't?

Good luck!

Amy

You are WRONG. We have done it multiple times.

OOps. My bad. My answer was based on RCL's Onboard Age Policy that I thought was accurate. Maybe I'm just not reading it right.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&pnav=5&pnav=2&faqType=faq&faqSubjectId=333&faqSubjectName=Onboard+Policies&faqId=309

For voyages originating in North America:

No Guest younger than the age twenty-one (21) will be assigned to a stateroom unless accompanied in the same stateroom by an adult twenty-one (21) years old or older. A guest's age is established upon the first date of sailing.

This age limit will be waived for children sailing with their parents or guardians in connecting staterooms; for underage married couples; and for active duty members of the United States or Canadian military.

I didn't get the impression that the 20 year olds were berthed in a connecting stateroom (I read that they are in a balcony with an interior across the hall) nor that the OP was the Legal Guardian of the friend.

To The OP: If you want to switch your booking to put the 20 year olds in their own cabin on your booking now, call RCL to do it. If they give you a hard time due to their policies, tell them "DonnaK from Cruise Critic has done it multiple times" and they should back down.

Good Luck.

Edited by AdGuyMG

OOps. My bad. My answer was based on RCL's Onboard Age Policy that I thought was accurate. Maybe I'm just not reading it right.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&pnav=5&pnav=2&faqType=faq&faqSubjectId=333&faqSubjectName=Onboard+Policies&faqId=309

For voyages originating in North America:

No Guest younger than the age twenty-one (21) will be assigned to a stateroom unless accompanied in the same stateroom by an adult twenty-one (21) years old or older. A guest's age is established upon the first date of sailing.

This age limit will be waived for children sailing with their parents or guardians in connecting staterooms; for underage married couples; and for active duty members of the United States or Canadian military.

I didn't get the impression that the 20 year olds were berthed in a connecting stateroom (I read that they are in a balcony with an interior across the hall) nor that the OP was the Legal Guardian of the friend.

To The OP: If you want to switch your booking to put the 20 year olds in their own cabin on your booking now, call RCL to do it. If they give you a hard time due to their policies, tell them "DonnaK from Cruise Critic has done it multiple times" and they should back down.

Good Luck.

You may have found that on the website, but it is NOT not their current policy.

The staterooms do not have to be connecting. They just need to be next to each other, or directly across the hall from each other. (Sometimes, they will even allow you to book the children into their own cabin diagonally across the hall, or a few doors down, from the parents cabin)

And, the ratio of your children to children that are not yours cannot exceed 1:1. So your child and a friend is ok. Or two of your children and two friends in a quad. But not one of your children and two friends in a triple.

I have a lot of experience with booking teens this way, and I am not the only person doing this. It is their official policy, and it is absolutely not a problem.

Edited by DonnaK

We are a family of 5 on our upcoming NYE cruise in adjoining staterooms (connecting with a door). We booked one adult in each room and split our children up between the cabins knowing that we will sleep adults in one stateroom and 'kids' in the other (kids are 20, 18 and 14 when we sail). We are past final payment and everything has been going along smoothly. We are planning to get the extra key-card for DH and my son to switch rooms when we board.

With all of the IT glitches in RCCL's systems, I am afraid to move anyone around or do anything to our reservation prior to sailing. Might set off a repricing on their end... :eek:

Just not in the mood to have to deal with their Customer Service if something doesn't look right after we make a change. Besides... with an adult over 21 in each room, we can bring on 4 bottles of wine instead of 2. Every cloud has a silver lining... LOL!

Edited by SnappyNappi

• 10 months later...

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but this is exactly our issue sailing this Saturday, (Aug. 20, '16) on Anthem! We booked 3 guarantee cabins over the phone with Royal - a balcony for my husband and I, a balcony for my 23 yo son and his 22 yo girlfriend, and an inside for my 20 yo daughter. He asked if we wanted to be near each other or just go for the best price, and of course we went for the best price!

At the time the rep explained he couldn't book the 20 yo in a room alone, so he put my name on the inside and hers on the balcony with my husband, and said no one will care what we do once onboard. But today my husband realized our drink packages are attached to the sea pass card assigned to the cabin! So if we just switch keys, well - won't work.

I know we can activate WOW bands and handle it that way, but is it worth the hassle of officially switching the keys & associated drink packages onboard? Will they issue a 2nd key for the inside cabin that has my premium drink package on it? Lol, I usually think of everything!

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but this is exactly our issue sailing this Saturday, (Aug. 20, '16) on Anthem! We booked 3 guarantee cabins over the phone with Royal - a balcony for my husband and I, a balcony for my 23 yo son and his 22 yo girlfriend, and an inside for my 20 yo daughter. He asked if we wanted to be near each other or just go for the best price, and of course we went for the best price!

At the time the rep explained he couldn't book the 20 yo in a room alone, so he put my name on the inside and hers on the balcony with my husband, and said no one will care what we do once onboard. But today my husband realized our drink packages are attached to the sea pass card assigned to the cabin! So if we just switch keys, well - won't work.

I know we can activate WOW bands and handle it that way, but is it worth the hassle of officially switching the keys & associated drink packages onboard? Will they issue a 2nd key for the inside cabin that has my premium drink package on it? Lol, I usually think of everything!

You won't be "switching" key you will have two 1 for the room you are officially booked in. You will use this one for you drink package and any charges you have. the second key will just open the door for the balcony room it will not actually identify you at all.

On Anthem, they wouldn't give us an extra card. (I think they don't give them out because you need to insert a card in the slot when you are in the room to activate the AC, and they don't want to give out extra cards so people won't leave one in the slot when they are out of the room. Bring an old card or a loyalty card from a drug store or supermarket to place in the slot to keep the AC on, otherwise it gets too hot in the room).

Perhaps you will have luck getting an extra card because it is to your kids room. Regardless, they will work it out with you once onboard.

This is not correct.

That is not correct.

One of the 20 year olds is the OP's daughter, as such the OP can "supervise" one non related 20 year old, per related 20 year old, they can be booked into their own cabin as long as it is next to or across from the OP's cabin, I have even had them be a little more flexible when my daughter turned 18 and let the cabins be across and 1 cabin down, there was no way the would do that when she was a minor

We are not at all near each other, because we chose the "best price" option. And seeing as she is an adult, I do not expect us to be together all the time, hence the need for either a swap or another key card.

we've done that several times..