LIVE! Crown Princess Hawaii/South Pacific 10/17 - 11/14

traveling1969

We are now firmly ensconced in our DoubleTree San Pedro hotel room. Nice that they were able to put us in right away rather than having to wait. Anyone on the roll call around?

Oh, and all of our luggage got here too! Yeah!

Early morning direct flight COS to LAX. Booked supershuttle for the first time and was very impressed. Shared service, one other couple to the Catalina Ferry. The use of texts and smart phone technology was great. Once we collected our bags and hit the check in button, we got our passenger number and van number, turned left and headed down the sidewalk to where our van pulled up. Very, very nice drive to the port. Not like our past experience with in a hurry cab drivers, or cab drivers who had no idea where the hotel was or how to get there.

Supershuttle is very highly recommended.

Front desk at the DoubleTree was excellent. Probably because there were no other ships in port, we got a room right away, with a balcony to boot over looking the marina. Now its just a matter of kickin back and relaxin, awaiting our shuttle in the morning at 1000 to the port.

Now its time to get some walking in and loosen up those muscles!!!

Later….

Hi Charles & Judy... We were all together In Alaska (June 1 ) this year. Hope you have a great cruise. Ally doing well and still wanting to work on a cruise ship ???? Brenda

I think its great that this live is going on! I can already tell its going to be fun!

This is on our bucket list as well, so I will be following along and reading about your adventures! Wish it was us going too..:(

We have to wait for retirement first...a few more years..

Bon Voyage and have a wonderful & fantastic cruise! :D:);)

Thank goodness we left SF Bay Area on Wednesday to drive down as the I5 HWY was closed in both directions due to flash floods and mudslides on Thursday.

We are at the Doubletree. I have seen a steady flow of our fellow cruisers as they arrive. Let's get the party started.

Jayne

Edited by Irishjayne

Hi everyone! Unfortunately, circumstances beyond our control forced us to cancel this cruise...:(:(:mad:

I will be following along, with a sad song in my heart!

Have a fantastic time everyone!

Nina- so sorry you had to cancel your cruise.

I hope things will get better for you.

Best wishes,

Norris

Hi Charles & Judy... We were all together In Alaska (June 1 ) this year. Hope you have a great cruise. Ally doing well and still wanting to work on a cruise ship ???? Brenda

Ally is doing great. She started college, local junior college because of costs, to get an AA in Acting, then transfer to Metro State in Denver to get at least a certificate in Tourism Management. She wants to go to the fleet now so bad she can taste it - but she's not 21 yet. The cruise really opened her eyes to what is out there for her to do and she just can't wait to start.

She got a 95 on her first public speaking class assignment. Lost 5 points because she wouldn't quit TALKING! Sounds like her doesn't it?

Nice chatting again!

As with a few others, this particular cruise is also on my bucket list. I am not sure whether it will be next year or 2017. Viet Nam has to be there as well. I decided to read through the thread dealing with all the posters on this cruise last month and read most of the posts. The excitement just ramped up and up. I was able to make a number of notes and will be ahead of the game regarding excursions when we decide to take the plunge. I am looking forward to reading about this great adventure of yours as it unfolds.

Nikki

Judy declared herself hungry and she wanted to be fed. I, as her dutifully appointed provider and cleaner upper of her leftovers, agreed to provide. So we opted for an early lunch at 22nd Street Landing and were completely satisfied. It was a great, but expensive meal, with great service.

They unfortunately did not have any ginger beer, so I had to move on from my new drink of choice, Moscow or Kentucky mule, to the old faithful Long Island Iced Tea!! (Boy did that hit me between the eyes!)

We started with the Calamari. Calamari has to be fried just right to be any good. Ever since the Calamari in Venice a couple of years ago, we’ve been searching for something approaching it, but could only find chewy, greasy calamari. This was very good Calamari. Not as good as in Venice, but not bad either. The oil was hot enough and the calamari were fresh enough that it was very good calamari.

Judy had the mixed green salad and I had the Caesar. And my Caesar had the anchovy in it. That’s the right way to have a Caesar salad! For mains, Judy could not decide on fish or shellfish, so she had the Ciappino. This was a good Ciappino. Not as good as the Ciappino I had in San Francisco at a 150 year old eatery, but pretty good. Spicier with a little more cumin than I care for, but loaded with lots of good fish, clams, mussels, shrimp and above all else, scallops! My main was fresh grilled halibut. I love halibut. This wasn’t quite as good as the alder grilled salmon I had in Fairbanks a couple of years ago, but it was very very well done.

Dessert was the Pecan Pie. Once again not as good as my Aunt Mary makes it in Arkansas and it did need a little more time in the oven to crust the bottom pie dough, but very nice none the less.

So as you see, most of what we had was 2nd best, but second best to some really great eats!

It is rather expensive though, but what the heck, we are now officially on vacation!

We arrived safe and sound at the Best Western San Pedro. Very nice here and the room lovely

The area isn't to upscale,but we chose KFC for a quick supper?

The next block is the Rite Aid where you can get your wine and etc. .

Idea of meeting anyone at the bar did not happen as it isn't open,probably only when thy have special affairs going on.

Breakfast area looks like it will be nice.

Super shuttle worked well,but was a bit slow with so many using them and going in different directions. They are friendly and kept us informed as to when our van would arrive. Everyone in it was going on this cruise.

Now its just a matter of kickin back and relaxin, awaiting our shuttle in the morning at 1000 to the port.

Please let us know how the shuttle to the port worked out.

a) Were you able to get on one at 10:00 or did so many people line up for one you had to wait?

b) What did the hotel charge for the shuttle?

Ally is doing great. She started college, local junior college because of costs, to get an AA in Acting, then transfer to Metro State in Denver to get at least a certificate in Tourism Management. She wants to go to the fleet now so bad she can taste it - but she's not 21 yet. The cruise really opened her eyes to what is out there for her to do and she just can't wait to start.

She got a 95 on her first public speaking class assignment. Lost 5 points because she wouldn't quit TALKING! Sounds like her doesn't it?

Nice chatting again!

Thanks for the update... So nice how the crew took her under their wing. Smooth Sailing..... Brenda

Well, we are up and at 'em. Landed at LAX around 5:45 pm yesterday; about a half hour early. Met the Super Shuttle and were whisked away to San Pedro and the Best Western Plus. Everything was smooth; drive to airport, flights, layovers and our bags were in the first ten to appear on the carousel.

Once we checked in, I went to the liquor store next door to pick up our wine. In the "old days" that would have meant a case or two but now means a bottle or two:rolleyes:. Oh well, it is what it is. Only hope they offer the wine packages. We'll probably get a couple 12 bottle silver packages and pay a few bucks extra if we want a more expensive bottle.

We called the hotel early yesterday to sign up for the shuttle to the port. We opted for the 10 am transfer. As my sweetie says, rather wait there than here. I couldn't post last night as the computers in the hotel would not cooperate and we never travel with the laptop. For us, the fewer the devices the better:).

We're off to breakfast now so probably will post this evening from the ship.

A hearty Bon Voyage to us all!

Harry

saw the Crown enter the channel in front of our hotel (Crowne Plaza) about 6:45 am. Took about 30 minutes for it to dock at what I guess is Pier 93. It isn't the "bubble" building which must be Pier 91. The Crown sure loooked extra large going in front of the hotel.Now it is our turn to board the ship and being our long awaited cruise.

Thanks dear friends for the e-mail this AM. Glad to hear you are on your way safely. Talked to the North Country folks and they all say they are to get snow tonight. Had a great time with Kay and Ron here.

We will enjoy your trip this way as we take day by day with the health issues and then off to Florida.

Please let us know how the shuttle to the port worked out.

a) Were you able to get on one at 10:00 or did so many people line up for one you had to wait?

b) What did the hotel charge for the shuttle?

Read brownblonde post,they are running all the time some had reservations and some not we all got to where we were to go