Pre Paid Internet how does it work

oursbrun

So I have gone ahead and pre purchased a 460min Internet package. So what happens when I get on board and select WiFi Will there be an option saying select Prepaid or some other indication that it knows I have paid already. Do not want to spend my time at guest services because I get charged again

Thanks

After you board, turn on your computer and the ship website should come up. It will ask you for a logon and password which will get you into the ship's intranet with a lot of information depending on the ship you are sailing. At the bottom right or so there will be a button labeled internet. Select that and it will bring up the internet window. Through a series of windows You will be asked to provide information: name, date of birth and cabin number, the options to buy time - it should recognize that you have already booked some time and then allow you to connect to the internet. Once you click on connect yet another window will come up (slowly) indicating you are connected with a timer at the top showing how long you are connected. Do not delete this window as you will need it to disconnect and also to keep track of the minutes you are logged in. Internet time goes faster than conventional time. :rolleyes:

You then can bring up a search window (chrome, firefox etc) and proceed as normal. Warning the internet is S L O W. Try to stick to sites that do not use graphics - think old dial up days! Connections sometimes drop knocking you off the internet or site. Response is dependent on how many of your fellow pax are trying to use it and what they are doing.

When done go back to the original window, and click the disconnect button. A new window will show you how much time you used and how much you have left. Failure to do this will keep you logged on eating up your minutes!!!

If you have any trouble go down to the Internet Cafe and the crew member will help you out.

I have done this several times. The ships internet actually had no clue that you have bought prepaid Internet.

You will receive a card in your stateroom from Stewart that states you have a gift of so many internet minutes. You take that card to the Internet cafe and they will add the minutes to your account.

I have done this several times. The ships internet actually had no clue that you have bought prepaid Internet.

You will receive a card in your stateroom from Stewart that states you have a gift of so many internet minutes. You take that card to the Internet cafe and they will add the minutes to your account.

There is that guy, Stewart, again. He sure does get around on all the ships sometimes at the same time. He is quite a magician to do that!

Just recently off the island princess. I had to take the card left in my cabin(showing how many minutes I bought) to the internet cafe and have the guy there add the minutes to my account. He then gave me instructions on how to login from my tablet.

Early in the morning (6AM or earlier) and late at night (10PM or later) are usually the best times to go on the internet.

Middle of the day is painfully SSSLLLOOOOWWW.

You are correct!

To the OP OURSBRAUN

Having just spent three weeks on the Caribbean Princess with a new IPAD Mini3 I found getting assistance at the internet cafe most helpful.

They put a login and logoff shortcut on my IPAD.

The reason the on board WiFi is so slow is they have limited bandwidth and the signal has to travel over 22k miles up to a satellite and another 22k miles down to connect to an earth server.

Compose your emails prior to connecting and do not attempt to send photos using the ship's WiFi

In many ports there is free WiFi which in some cases is excellent. I had excellent WiFi in a Bergen Norway shopping mall while the wife was shopping and was able to make free telephone calls.

You can also send free E cards while on board from the Princess web site.

I was also able to download the entire daily New York Times on the ships WiFi that only took a minute or two to be read later after disconnecting.

Also downloading the yahoo weather app with 19 cities including home and future ports only took a few seconds.

Good luck and happy sailing.

Howard

There are actually two reasons onboard is slow. First is the low satellite bandwidth. But the second you can control. If your wifi quality shows as only "good" you will be resending many of the data packets. Try to find an area on the ship with "excellent" quality (like near the atrium). Lots of times I had trouble even logging off from the cabin but it worked fairly well near the atrium or at the couches near Sabatini's.

Second point - make SURE you log off. If the logon box goes away then go to logoff.com to end your session. If you don't see a summary of minutes used and left, try it again. Otherwise your minutes will be going, going, gone.