Warning buy Cunard cruise Dvd at your own risk.

pris993

Just returned from a 14 day cruise on the QM2 New York to Quebec City and back. Overall had a good time. This was our 3rd cruise on Cunard, prior ones on QV. We were reminded that Cunard does some things well and others not so good.

Enjoyed the QM2: had a nice balcony cabin on deck 8 with the lifeboats, even had a limited view between the lifeboats; had very good service in the cabin, including room service which we always use for breakfast. Service in the MDR was also very good, we were not impressed with the menu, did manage to special order off menu fish cooked plain which is what we want. We checked Todd English out on our floor, it had sea bass on the menu but Mediterranean (not Chiliain sea bass, which we prefer) so we skipped it. The fish we ordered in the MDR was excellent, i.e., Cod and Halibut. The lunch buffet on QM2 is disappointing compared to other cruise lines, we generally got something for a snack late afternoon, cheese/crackers or a tuna sandwich, more than adequate for us. Entertainment on board was very good another strong point of Cunard from our experience. Really enjoyed a local folk music and dance group from Quebec and Cunards/Om2 singers and dancers were excellent.

This was our first New England and Canada cruise. We missed St John's due to the super moon, tide too low for the ship. It was raining a lot in Halifax, very cold and windy our first day in Quebec City. While many rave about this itinerary it was not one I would do again, especially on Cunard and the QM2. We tendered in quiet a few ports and it did not seem the tendering process on the QM2 was as organized and efficient as we have experienced on other lines. I was also surprised we had to tender in a few ports because this info was not pointed out in the Cunard literature up front. Suspect we tendered because the QM2 is too big, other ships had priority in port possibly too as they do the route more often. Any rate, live and learn.

We liked the layout of the QV more than the QM2... especially the location of the ballroom... seems to be off the beaten path compared to the OV. We found we generally went to a show and then skipped the ballroom because it was at the other end of the ship. On the OV easy to simply walk by and decide to join in with dance activities since the ball room is mid ship. Better approach for us. The planetarium was another example of something not easy to find, we never made it to a show there, did eventually find it enroute to the internet cafe. Internet service seemed fine, used it mostly in port, not well staffed for a senior population. I was in there one afternoon helped a couple from Scotland trying to get on their email and was approached by another women who wanted to copy materials, she assumed I could answer her question. I told her I don't work here but I would suggest you check with the Customer Service desk.

Ref my warning on the Cunard cruise DVD... we purchased it - just reviewed last night a home. Cunard should have paid us to take it, we paid roughly $60... it is more a commerical for the ship then footage of the ports and tours. They did 2, 7 day dvds since the trip was sold as two 7 day trips. Both dvds have the same stock footage of points around the ship and very little in port tape. As I say more a commercial than anything. The DVDs are not Cunards strong point. Other lines do a much better job.

We will look for a trip on the QE next... love the traditional cruise experience on Cunard... but the OM2 is not our favorite on this line. Glad we went because had read the QM2 was an experience but would not return.

Happy cruising everyone, buy the dvd at your own risk, LOL. :rolleyes:

The photography and DVDs are not Cunard products. Photo and video are contractors.

I'm sorry you were disappointed in the DVD, but I'm not surprised, The DVDs are always full of stock clips. I think there's a master version of stock images, and then they edit in the port-specific parts. They usually show previews of the DVD, possibly on the TV in the cabin, definitely on a TV in the photo area. Any time I've been tempted, I've checked out the preview and not bought it.

I remember back in the days of QE2, the "master" was so poorly made that one of the stock clips included a few seconds of the atrium on QM2. Sloppy and unprofessional!

Comment on tendering. I know your cruise went to Bar Harbor. Every ship tenders there, not just QM2. Where else did you have to tender?

Edited by 3rdGenCunarder

Thank you for sharing your review of the QM2 and the voyage to Quebec. I enjoyed reading it. I didn't realize fish was an available "off menu" item and was happy to learn this.

Have wonderful voyages when you return to the QV!

The photography and DVDs are not Cunard products. Photo and video are contractors.

I'm sorry you were disappointed in the DVD, but I'm not surprised, The DVDs are always full of stock clips. I think there's a master version of stock images, and then they edit in the port-specific parts. They usually show previews of the DVD, possibly on the TV in the cabin, definitely on a TV in the photo area. Any time I've been tempted, I've checked out the preview and not bought it.

I remember back in the days of QE2, the "master" was so poorly made that one of the stock clips included a few seconds of the atrium on QM2. Sloppy and unprofessional!

Comment on tendering. I know your cruise went to Bar Harbor. Every ship tenders there, not just QM2. Where else did you have to tender?

You are right, I should have checked the samples on the dvd... they ended one of the dvds with images sailing into Sydney Australia... too funny. I expect shots of NYC, LOL. Like I say, live and learn. Wanted to warn others who may be too busy to check the dvd out before buying.

Ref your question reg tendering ports... besides Bar Harbor, which I expected, they also tendered in Sydney NS and Newport RI... Sydney was a surprise especially... not sure about Newport, it was the last day, we packed, short time in port... when I read Cunard summary on ports in our cruise info it simply said in port... not whether they were tendering. Since I had researched on my own, I expected to tender in Bar Harbor but did not think we had other tender ports.

You are right, I should have checked the samples on the dvd... they ended one of the dvds with images sailing into Sydney Australia... too funny. I expect shots of NYC, LOL. Like I say, live and learn. Wanted to warn others who may be too busy to check the dvd out before buying.

Ref your question reg tendering ports... besides Bar Harbor, which I expected, they also tendered in Sydney NS and Newport RI... Sydney was a surprise especially... not sure about Newport, it was the last day, we packed, short time in port... when I read Cunard summary on ports in our cruise info it simply said in port... not whether they were tendering. Since I had researched on my own, I expected to tender in Bar Harbor but did not think we had other tender ports.

Sounds like the DVD crew didn't know the difference between the two Sydneys! I guess they're careless about production values because most people won't look at the DVD until they get home and then it's too late to do anything about it. It's a shame to buy what you think will be a good memento of your trip and find out it's so poorly done.

Sydney is always tricky. We missed it twice on QE2 because it would be too windy to get her turned around without a tug. The only times we've made it to Sydney have been on smaller HAL ships. The last time we were there, we had great weather, but the day before, a ship had to cancel due to weather. We've missed Newport twice, too, due to conditions unsuitable for tendering.

They show the DVD on one of the in-cabin TV channels - we usually try and have it on during the latter stages of a trip just to see if we are in it !

I bought the last one because it was for the 3 Queens event and there was a lot of footage of the meeting in Liverpool.

Thanks for reporting back, I agree about the difficulty of finding your way around QM2 but once you do, it's a very rewarding experience.

Edited by Host Hattie

Hello.Thank you pris for reminding me about Cunard DVDs.A couple of years ago.on Queen Elizabeth we bought one of these appalling things.We watched it a couple of days after our return expecting to relive a very good Med.cruise.

If you were a Grills guest,a Japanese or a dancer,this was produced for you.Produced though is a bad choice of words as production there was not.Severall people appeared at least three times and several scenes were repeated at least three times.I now very much regret not contacting Cunard to demand a return of the purchase price.Yes it was that bad.After only one watch it was thrown into the bin.

Rodger.

Edited by branston boy

Thanks you for the report, and I'm sorry to learn that QM2 is not for you. I took a similar itinerary last year on QM2 and we also missed Saint Johns but it was due to high winds. The anchor ports however were marked in our itinerary with an "A". Tendering doesn't offer Cunard any advantages over docking. It is very labor intensive, an officer has to supervise each tendering point, and there will be some mobility impaired passengers who won't be able to leave the ship. I've come to realize that if I want to sail on a ship with such a deep draft as QM2 there will be ports were she will have to tender or might not be able to enter at all.

I do have to agree 100% regarding the DVD. At least half is stock footage and some at least five years old, as in shots of lifeboats labeled "GBQM" which was her radio call sign before the ship registry was changed to Bermuda in 2011. Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me.

From what I've seen of the QM2 New York footage, I agree with you about the use of stock footage that's innapropriate for the sailing season, etc. However we once took QV from Los Angeles to Fort Lauderdale and purchased that cruise's DVD. Since the ports were more unique to Cunard than New York and other frequent ports the video crew had to work harder and most or all of the footage was clearly from our trip. All of our Britannia tablemates appeared at least once, although the attractive ones appeared more often... ;)

A friend on the 2015 QE world cruise (Southampton-Southampton) bought only one DVD on board from the entire voyage (I am assuming there was a choice).

The one he bought was the Panama Canal Transit DVD. I have watched it a couple of times and can't be certain if they used "stock footage", and neither can he, but we both suspect that they did.

He recognises people shown in many scenes, and all the shots look as if they belong to his particular voyage.

If some shots were from previous transits (and they could well be, after all you only need to film lock gates opening once), then they fit seamlessly together.

Even the weather shown on the video (a little rain) and lots of blue skies "fit" his own photos taken at the time very well.

I was impressed with the quality of the filming (whenever it was done), and production. There wasn't inane chatter all the way through, just simple information at the beginning, and inoffensive muzak throughout.

He is very pleased with his DVD (and I would be as well, had I purchased it on board during a world cruise (one day... )).

Edited by pepperrn

Hello.Thank you pris for reminding me about Cunard DVDs.A couple of years ago.on Queen Elizabeth we bought one of these appalling things.We watched it a couple of days after our return expecting to relive a very good Med.cruise.

If you were a Grills guest,a Japanese or a dancer,this was produced for you.Produced though is a bad choice of words as production there was not.Severall people appeared at least three times and several scenes were repeated at least three times.I now very much regret not contacting Cunard to demand a return of the purchase price.Yes it was that bad.After only one watch it was thrown into the bin.

Rodger.

just back from 14 day Med on QE DVD mainly stock film blue skies everywhere and ship alongside at night in Monte Carlo with fireworks whereas we were at anchor and left in daylight

also no footage on preview of any social events such as embarkation, cocktail parties and balls etc

we are on QE Xmas cruise to Madeira and I will ask intently the photo staff how much original footage they will have

To me, DVDs of voyages are the equivalent of DVDs of concerts / live performances. They do not portray your view of the event and are NOT something which you will look to view time and time again (unlike a favourite movie).

The best memories are those retained in your head, which are brought to mind by a single picture / momento.

Money is best spent on creating new memories methinks. ;)

just back from 14 day Med on QE DVD mainly stock film blue skies everywhere and ship alongside at night in Monte Carlo with fireworks whereas we were at anchor and left in daylight

also no footage on preview of any social events such as embarkation, cocktail parties and balls etc

we are on QE Xmas cruise to Madeira and I will ask intently the photo staff how much original footage they will have

My Panama Canal video contains all of the elements yours missed. Of course that was back in 2011. The best advice might be to watch the preview footage on the in-room TV or at the photo shop and decide if what you see is something you'd like to own (but don't expect anything you don't see in the sample).

My Panama Canal video contains all of the elements yours missed. Of course that was back in 2011. The best advice might be to watch the preview footage on the in-room TV or at the photo shop and decide if what you see is something you'd like to own (but don't expect anything you don't see in the sample).

we did watch the preview on the cabin TV but it was not put on until the penultimate day of the cruise

we never intended to buy it but were simply interested in what it contained, most of which appeared to be of another cruise