Marine Traffic users - Question

LrgPizza

I am trying to figure out a way to link specifically to show the location of the Norwegian Escape only. I would like to send a link to my parents so they can follow where the ship is. I can use this link to go to the Escape's Marine Traffic page. But from there, when I click to "Show On Live Map", it shows lots of other ships, too. I know how to change the settings to isolate that ship, but my parents would never figure that out. Does anyone know if there is a way I can send them a link that will only show the location of the Escape without all the other stuff that will confuse my elderly parents? I can't figure it out.

I hope I'm being clear here. :)

I am trying to figure out a way to link specifically to show the location of the Norwegian Escape only. I would like to send a link to my parents so they can follow where the ship is. I can use this link to go to the Escape's Marine Traffic page. But from there, when I click to "Show On Live Map", it shows lots of other ships, too. I know how to change the settings to isolate that ship, but my parents would never figure that out. Does anyone know if there is a way I can send them a link that will only show the location of the Escape without all the other stuff that will confuse my elderly parents? I can't figure it out.

I hope I'm being clear here. :)

You can turn off all ship categories except "passenger" - on left vertical panel click on the "gas can filter" button, then uncheck everything except "Passenger Vessels" and so on. It won't update the ship's position unless you're logged in, then it updates every five minutes. It used to be a nicer site when it was still a university project, now it's trashed out with ads etc. If you watch the url it shows ship number etc for a while then shortens it to something generic which I believe doesn't work if you email it (didn't last time I tried). Maybe best to tell them to just fire up the site and look at the little map at the start where it shows last port etc. Have fun:D

Try this, looks easier: https://www.vesselfinder.com/?imo=9677076

Edited by pspercy

One other thing to remember is that Marine Traffic can only track the ship if it is transmitting a signal. Many times the ships quit transmitting after leaving port, until arriving near the next port.

Well sorta - it's because the ships get out of range of the shore based receiving stations being in the VHF range of frequencies. AIS is actually a short range system where ships tell others where they are, helps to avoid radar controlled collisions like we've seen in the past:D A ship can of course pay extra and transmit its AIS sig via satellite and so on. The sig itself is text in a known format so if you live near water you can set up a receiver to read the sigs, decode then feed the data to some mapping program or join sites like Marine Traffic and submit your feed to them via the internet. If I lived near the sea I'd do it too. Fun stuff.

Edited by pspercy

You can turn off all ship categories except "passenger" - on left vertical panel click on the "gas can filter" button, then uncheck everything except "Passenger Vessels" and so on. It won't update the ship's position unless you're logged in, then it updates every five minutes. It used to be a nicer site when it was still a university project, now it's trashed out with ads etc. If you watch the url it shows ship number etc for a while then shortens it to something generic which I believe doesn't work if you email it (didn't last time I tried). Maybe best to tell them to just fire up the site and look at the little map at the start where it shows last port etc. Have fun:D

Try this, looks easier: https://www.vesselfinder.com/?imo=9677076

That vesselfinder link looks perfect! I'll send them that. Yeah, I know how to use the filters, but they'd be totally lost. (These are people that when I tell them to click a link in an email, I'll have to explain that it's the underlined words in blue. Haha)

Pizza...fyi, your link in post #1 points to a LPG tanker ship named Norwegian Escape (AIS Name: Cougar) which is currently off the coast of Madagascar. :eek:

LMAO! Now THAT would have really confused my parents. I just did it quick and didn't even pay attention. That's hilarious.

That vesselfinder link looks perfect! I'll send them that. Yeah, I know how to use the filters, but they'd be totally lost. (These are people that when I tell them to click a link in an email, I'll have to explain that it's the underlined words in blue. Haha)

Does Vesselfinder have an app? How is it? I've got the Marinetraffic app and it's honestly pretty awesome, all things considered.

Does Vesselfinder have an app? How is it? I've got the Marinetraffic app and it's honestly pretty awesome, all things considered.

I just did a search. It looks like there is a free one and a paid one. I don't have either. I'm happy with the MarineTraffic app.

http://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/home/shipid:991844/zoom:10

Have a great trip !!

P.S. This is from my iPad, not a computer, if that makes any difference.

It opened fine on my desktop. Thanks! I didn't realize the zoom could be saved like that. I'll send my parents that link along with the vessel finder one above. Hopefully they can distinguish between what is water and land. ;)

On my last cruise, I sent them the link to the Port of Miami webcam so they could watch us sail away. I was even on the phone with them and they kept saying they couldn't see anything. I later found out they didn't realize they had to click the little arrow to get the live feed started. Doh!

(I love my parents dearly, and trust me, I even make fun of them to their faces about how technologically incompetent they are. Dad just waves his flip phone at me in a mock threat.)

Well sorta - it's because the ships get out of range of the shore based receiving stations being in the VHF range of frequencies. AIS is actually a short range system where ships tell others where they are, helps to avoid radar controlled collisions like we've seen in the past:D A ship can of course pay extra and transmit its AIS sig via satellite and so on. The sig itself is text in a known format so if you live near water you can set up a receiver to read the sigs, decode then feed the data to some mapping program or join sites like Marine Traffic and submit your feed to them via the internet. If I lived near the sea I'd do it too. Fun stuff.

The ship does Not pay extra for Sat AIS, you do to receive it. Sat AIS is used by government agencies, and picks up the line of sight signal from overhead

• 4 years later...