Non-Refundable Deposit on Scenic

robin13

I read someplace to buy travel insurance starting out with the amount of the deposit, then increasing the amount insured as you make payments on the cruise. Since the initial coverage is only the deposit, it is not that expensive.
If the reason you would cancel is "we changed our mind", be sure that your insurance coverage includes that reason. And know that "cancel for any reason" coverage costs more than more limited coverage.

Finally, be sure that your coverage can be increased as your exposure goes up. It's all in the fine print.

I guess since I have never been on a river cruise before but have been on 20 cruises I didn't know that a non-refundable deposit was the norm. I have no problem giving them $500 but the non-refundable part worries me. I always take out insurance on my cruises but have never done the "cancel for any reason". Will have to research this. Thanks for the feedback.

Just be advised that purchasing coverage with "cancel for any reason", does not mean you will get 100% of your money back. If you cancel within the required period, with most policies, you'll get back only about 50%. it would make no economic sense for an insurance company to refund you $500 when you paid only $100 for a policy.

I guess since I have never been on a river cruise before but have been on 20 cruises I didn't know that a non-refundable deposit was the norm. I have no problem giving them $500 but the non-refundable part worries me. I always take out insurance on my cruises but have never done the "cancel for any reason". Will have to research this. Thanks for the feedback.

Don't assume that all river cruise lines have the same policies. AMA requires a deposit of $400 per person, but only $200 of that is non-refundable. They also don't require final payment until 90 days before start date.

http://www.amawaterways.com/terms-and-conditions

Just be advised that purchasing coverage with "cancel for any reason", does not mean you will get 100% of your money back. If you cancel within the required period, with most policies, you'll get back only about 50%. it would make no economic sense for an insurance company to refund you $500 when you paid only $100 for a policy.

It's actually 75% on the better policies:

http://www.insuremytrip.com/learn/coverages/cancel-for-any-reason.html

And since you can activate it up to 48 hours before traveling [i.e. after Final Payment], the payback would be many times over the premium cost.

Edited by Host Jazzbeau

Hmm, guess we had an excellent travel policy through our home/auto insurer. We had to cancel due to a relative's health [who was not traveling with us] one week before a cruise last spring. The policy cost $524 and we were paid the full amount of the cruise ($9,000+), no deductible, no percentage.

Hmm, guess we had an excellent travel policy through our home/auto insurer. We had to cancel due to a relative's health [who was not traveling with us] one week before a cruise last spring. The policy cost $524 and we were paid the full amount of the cruise ($9,000+), no deductible, no percentage.

When you cancel for a covered reason, you get 100% cash back. It's when you cancel for "any reason" that you get less.