questions about tendering

wanderlust79

I've just spent quite some time searching old threads for info about tendering, but I didn't quite find what I was looking for. I'm sure it's out there, but it certainly eluded me!

Anyway, we will be on the Star Princess next month (5 day to Cabo) and I am hoping to figure out how tendering will work in the morning, as we have an independent tour scheduled at 8:30am.

There are quite a few early ship excursions (a few before 8am, a few right at 8:30, and many after) and we are hoping this will not cause a problem with us making it to our 8:30 activity on time. 4 of our group are suite passengers (getting priority tendering I believe?), but the other 9 have no priority tender access.

With that said, are we crazy to think we will make it to our independent activity on time? Or is tendering a pretty quick process? Are the tender boats pretty big so a good number of passengers can head out at once?

Thanks in advance for any light you all can shed on this. :)

I've just spent quite some time searching old threads for info about tendering, but I didn't quite find what I was looking for. I'm sure it's out there, but it certainly eluded me!

Anyway, we will be on the Star Princess next month (5 day to Cabo) and I am hoping to figure out how tendering will work in the morning, as we have an independent tour scheduled at 8:30am.

There are quite a few early ship excursions (a few before 8am, a few right at 8:30, and many after) and we are hoping this will not cause a problem with us making it to our 8:30 activity on time. 4 of our group are suite passengers (getting priority tendering I believe?), but the other 9 have no priority tender access.

With that said, are we crazy to think we will make it to our independent activity on time? Or is tendering a pretty quick process? Are the tender boats pretty big so a good number of passengers can head out at once?

It might be an idea of getting up early, and be at the tender lounge area early. :D

Cato :)

Completed Cruises !

Pre-cruise Days - The Big Red Boat, 1993 ??

1st cruise - Coral Princess, 19 November 2008, 10 day Panama Canal, FLL to ACA

2nd cruise - Coral Princess, 15 May 2009, 3 day Repositioning, Los Angeles to Vancouver.

3rd cruise - Sapphire Princess, 25 November 2009? 7 day Mexican Riviera.

4th cruise - Golden Princes, 12 June 2010, 7 day Alaska. (Golden Anniversary Cruise)

5th Cruise - Island Princess, 04 October 2010, Vancouver - Los Angeles, Repositioning

6th cruise - Sapphire Princess, 05 January 2011, 10 day Mexican Riviera. LA to LA.

7th cruise - Golden Princess, 11 May 2011, 3 day, LA to Vancouver, Repositioning

8th cruise - Sapphire Princess, 14 May 2011, 1 day, Vancouver to Seattle, Repositioning

9th cruise - Coral Princess 19 May 2011 2 day, San Francisco to Vancouver, Repositioning

10th & 11th cruises - Coral Princess 02 July to 16 July 2011, round trip Vancouver - Whittier Alaska, B2B

12th & 13th cruises - Sapphire Princess, x2, Cabins, 18 Sep. 2011, 1 day, Seattle to Vancouver, Repositioning

14th & 15th cruises - Golden Princess, x2, Cabins, 24 Sep. 2011, 1 day, Seattle to Vancouver, Repositioning.

We have now reached Elite status with Princess Cruise Lines

16th cruise - Oasis of the Seas, 26 Nov. 2011, 7 day, Western Caribbean, Ft. Lauderdale, Ret.

17th & 18th cruises - Crown Princess B2B, 03 - 10 Dec & 10 - 17 Dec 2011, 14 Days, South & western Caribbean

19th cruise - Grand Princess, 31 Mar. - 07 April 2012, 7 Days, Eastern Caribbean, FLL - FLL

20th cruise - Island Princess, 06-16 June 2012, 10 day cruisetour Vancouver - Wittier

21th cruise - Emerald Princess, 16 day, 10 - 26 Sep. 2012, TA, Copenhagen - New York

22nd cruise - Carnival Ecstasy 10 - 14 January, 2013, 4 Day Bahamas, Port Canaveral Ret.

23rd cruise - Sapphire Princess 30 March - 06 April, 2013, 7 Day Coastal LA - LA

24th cruise - Coral Princess, 19 May - 22 May, 2013, 3 Day Repositioning Cruise, LA - Vancouver

25th cruise - Royal Princess 16 June - 05 July, 2013, 19 Day Inaugural cruise, Southampton - Venice.

26th cruise - Emerald Princess, 06 - 16 October, 2013, 10 Day Canada - New England, Quebec city to New York

27th cruise - Royal Princess, 24 November - 01 December, 2013, 7 Day,Eastern Caribbean, Fort Lauderdale Ret.

28th cruise - Sapphire Princess, 20 - 24 Jan, 2014, 4 Days, California

29th cruise - Crown Princess, 03 - 10 May 2014, 7 Day, LA to Vancouver.

30th cruise - Pacific Princess, 05 - 12 Aug. 2014, 7 Days, Vancouver RT, Alaska

31st cruise - Golden Princess, 13 - 17 Oct. 2014, 4 Days, LA - Mexican Riv, RT,

32nd cruise - Crown Princess, 20 - 27 Dec. 2014, 7 Days, LA - Mexican Riv, RT.

33rd cruise - Coral Princess, 27Apr. - 02 May.2015, 5 Days, LA - Vancouver, Repo

As far as I know you can go to the tender with your suite friends. We did exactly that last year when we had a group of 8, 4 were elite--2 were platinum and 2 were first timers. We asked and they said we could go as a group.

Tenders are pretty large, I think the hold about 150 pax.

Theo

You absolutely cannot rely on being able to have nine (!) additional people not entitled to priority tendering just glom onto the four of your that are--especially first thing in the morning when those on ship's excursions will be lining up ahead of everyone else. Everyone in your party will have to get to the venue handing out the tender tickets early enough to be in the first group.

You absolutely cannot rely on being able to have nine (!) additional people not entitled to priority tendering just glom onto the four of your that are--especially first thing in the morning when those on ship's excursions will be lining up ahead of everyone else. Everyone in your party will have to get to the venue handing out the tender tickets early enough to be in the first group.

Probably the best advice is to get to the tender ticket venue as early as possible, meaning way before it is actually open. We have seen those lines being really long even when it is just after the ticket venue opens. Unless the folks in question get some type of approval, in advance, from passenger services then they should be very early and ready to go. Have a great cruise. :cool:

Sea conditions also play a part in tendering. During our stop in Cabo last month on the Crown, the swell was enough for the captain to delay tendering. No passengers were allowed to tender until the captain ascertained that it was safe to do so; tendering didn't even begin until 9 am.

I agree. It's one thing to have a total of four people, two of whom are Elite, and another to have a large group with nine people not eligible for priority tendering.

Make sure all of you are at the tender ticket location as early as possible. Your full suite friends can get in line with you. Their "priority tendering" lets them get on the back of the line without a tender ticket, not to the front of the line or before others. This way, everyone is together.

I agree with the above advice to be in line for tender tickets at least 15 minutes before the announced time.

Be aware that Princess will only give tender tickets to those in the line. You cannot get them for people who will show up later, so your entire group of non-elite, non-suite people needs to be there in order to get on the same tender.

Your situation is interesting. If I read your itinerary correctly you arrive in Cabo at 1pm on day 3, stay overnight and depart at 1pm on day 4. So I am guessing that your tour is on day 4 and you will have to make the last tender back to the ship around 12:30. Check all the timing and tender ticket requirements once on board, but I believe tenders will be running early in the morning on day four so you can most likely get out before the Princess tours. Princess Tours get first seating on tenders and any remaining seats go to those that are not on tours. Allow around 20 mins to load and get ashore. One other point, your entire group, excluding full suite passengers, have to be present to get their tender tickets. One person can not show up and get tender tickets for all.

Edited by sknight

That estimate of 150 passengers is for the beginning of the cruise. By the end, it is down to no more than 90;)

Actually, in most cases, tenders carry 90 passengers when being used a tenders. When they are used a life boats it says you can cram in 150 people.

FWIW...

Be there very early and be absolutely certain that you have everybody there. If someone is lagging you will miss out. If you have someone who is habitually late be sure to get them there with the rest of the group as early as possible.

That estimate of 150 passengers is for the beginning of the cruise. By the end, it is down to no more than 90;)

Actually, in most cases, tenders carry 90 passengers when being used a tenders. When they are used a life boats it says you can cram in 150 people.

FWIW...

Exactly. I usually see a maximum of 100 people on a tender and sometimes it is fewer than that. I have never seen 150 people in a tender.

I agree with the comments above. I suggest getting in line for tender tickets at least 20 minutes ahead of the announced time. Some people will arrange with their friends for the obvious 'round figure' of 15 minutes ahead of the announced time, so go a little earlier.:)

Thank you again everyone! I am grateful to get advice from those who know the system. My only tender was about 12 years ago and I can't remember the process at all!

When lining up to get the tender tickets, do they care who is retrieving tickets or is it just a matter of 9 people lined up for 9 to tender! I ask because my family and I are the ones in the suite. We are also early risers. Since we do not necessarily need to get tender tix, can we wait in place of 4 of the sleepier folks?

If YOU get there 1st, tell the guide to wait for the rest of the party...they will...they KNOW how tendering works!

Good tip! We had talked about this as a last resort--If worse comes to worse, the few of us with priority tendering will go inform the tour operator. Fortunately it is a private tour, so there won't be other travelers waiting impatiently for my group!

When lining up to get the tender tickets, do they care who is retrieving tickets or is it just a matter of 9 people lined up for 9 to tender! I ask because my family and I are the ones in the suite. We are also early risers. Since we do not necessarily need to get tender tix, can we wait in place of 4 of the sleepier folks?
You cannot get tender tickets for people who aren't there. You must all be there together. I haven't gotten tender tix in years but as I remember, they check everyone's cruise card. I could be wrong but I do know that your entire party must be there together as you're seated by group according to your tender ticket.

Since it'll be day # 2 in Cabo, I don't think there'll be as many people getting tender tickets early in the morning unless they're on a tour. Many people, including myself, will be sleeping a bit later and may wander ashore mid-morning.

Edited by Pam in CA

Sea conditions also play a part in tendering. During our stop in Cabo last month on the Crown, the swell was enough for the captain to delay tendering. No passengers were allowed to tender until the captain ascertained that it was safe to do so; tendering didn't even begin until 9 am.

In Santa Barbara, tenders were held up due to fog.

27926-profile.png

Copyofth_Carnival-VIFP-Platinum_zps41db4d4e1_zps02e438c7.jpgI still cruise for Warm Chocolate Melting Cake (with 2 sugar free ice creams), lobster, and Creme brulee!