Do OV windows open?

RoxiRoo

Cruising on Infinity next year and am wondering if I have a chance of having fresh air in the cabin through an open window. Do OV windows open? I am in one of the converted conference room rooms (3114).

Do I have a chance of getting fresh air? Or do I need to upgrade to a Balcony room for that?

Julie

Cruising on Infinity next year and am wondering if I have a chance of having fresh air in the cabin through an open window. Do OV windows open? I am in one of the converted conference room rooms (3114).

Do I have a chance of getting fresh air? Or do I need to upgrade to a Balcony room for that?

Julie

Zero chance of getting fresh air! You would be on the third floor which means that if the windows were open the sea could rush in. You have to go to a balcony to get any kind of fresh air

So there will be water slapping the window? :eek:

Feeling a little claustrophobic now......

No! You're well above the water-line, but in very rough weather, might get water in if they were open. Look at some photos of the ships and be reassured.

Stuart

Edited by Wiltonian

When I think about inside and ocean view cabins, I must admit I feel a little claustrophobic, and feel like I'd be desperate for fresh air. Then I have to remind myself that I work in an office where the windows can't be opened, and I seldom open the windows at home in the winter, and somehow, claustrophobia and a desire for fresh air don't seem to be a problem.

We stayed in a small ocean view cabin on Azamara once, and it was just fine. I didn't feel claustrophobic even once. The turn-over of air in the ships seems very good.

The savings you can get from staying in a cabin without a balcony can be significant, and the size of the cabin is the same. Remember, you're just one or two flights of stairs from the nearest door to the outside. My husband insists on a balcony, but if it were up to me, I'd try to cruise twice as often in an inside cabin for the same price. :)

You all make very good points!

Yes, my office windows don't open. And I rarely open the windows in a Minnesota winter. I will just have to get off my tush and head up to an area that has access to open air.

:) Looking forward to my cruise - can't come soon enough. :)

I have an office that doesn't even face the outside world. It just faces the rest of the office. And we do open our windows at home when the weather is nice. So we do spend the extra bit to get a balcony cabin. I love the ocean, so when we are sailing on the ocean, I want to be able to open a window/door and enjoy the sound of the waves and the fresh ocean air. To me, that is worth the extra cost. But that is just me. It's an extremely personal choice.

Edited by BethV114

I have sailed in oceanview cabins many times as well as inside cabins...

I have never felt claustrophobic in either type of cabin. Sometimes my

budget doesn't allow me to book a balcony so I book a window instead.

So there will be water slapping the window? :eek:

Feeling a little claustrophobic now......

In a bad storm, you will likely see waves going higher than your 3rd deck windows...... The windows on the 2nd and 3rd deck are quite thick to be able to endure being underwater..... On the bright side, you may see some fish swimming by out your window.....

In a bad storm, you will likely see waves going higher than your 3rd deck windows...... The windows on the 2nd and 3rd deck are quite thick to be able to endure being underwater..... On the bright side, you may see some fish swimming by out your window.....

Check out this video for an example of why these windows should not be opened. Wait for it, wait for it........ there, at the 24 second mark!

Edited by SantaFeFan

Check out this video for an example of why these windows should not be opened. Wait for it, wait for it........ there, at the 24 second mark!

Oh THANKS A LOT for that LOL. :) Going to look at my budget and see if I can squeeze out enough for a balcony now........ Gah! I don't anticipate rough water on the inside passage of Alaska, but better safe than sorry. I would TOTALLY FREAK OUT if a wave like that hit me. I know others may handle this better, but I will be a big whiny baby. :)

Julie

What kind of cabin did you have on the Summit? The 2 ships are the same.

And no the windows do not open.

I tend to get claustrophobic and I was fine, even in a studio cabin. A fan saved me though, if I feel stuffy, then i get the claustrophobic feeling. Fan gave me moving air and a bit of white noise. Just a little battery operated fan i kept near the bed.

What kind of cabin did you have on the Summit? The 2 ships are the same.

And no the windows do not open.

Wallie, we splurged on the Summit for our 25th Anniversary and had a Concierge cabin in the aft. No way we can afford to do that again! Loved the balcony, or should I say patio - it was huge!