Purchasing Alcohol for Room

socmft

Somewhere, I saw a very limited selection of alcohol that can be purchased for consumption in the room. Do you order through Room Service? Is there anywhere a selection, or menu, of the kind of alcohol that is available?

Somewhere, I saw a very limited selection of alcohol that can be purchased for consumption in the room. Do you order through Room Service? Is there anywhere a selection, or menu, of the kind of alcohol that is available?

Under your Cruise Personalizer in under the Wine Cellars section.. there is a list of items you can pre-purchase to have delivered to your room.

It's mostly c**p booze. I can't understand why one can't purchase a decent scotch or bourbon for the cabin. I tend to drink my scotch and bourbon neat and the stuff you can get for your cabin is palatable only if you mix it with something.

It's mostly c**p booze. I can't understand why one can't purchase a decent scotch or bourbon for the cabin. I tend to drink my scotch and bourbon neat and the stuff you can get for your cabin is palatable only if you mix it with something.

Yeah, no Johnny Walker Blue available for the room!! I mean, they sell it on the ship, why can't you pay that bottle price and have it delivered to your room?

Yeah, no Johnny Walker Blue available for the room!! I mean, they sell it on the ship, why can't you pay that bottle price and have it delivered to your room?

Because, that's why...(? Who knows; too logical; pleasurable; might make some extra $; etc😉)

I don't know if I would call Sky Vodka c**p booze which is one of the choices on the room service list of bottles you can purchase. Granted it's not the brand I purchase, but it will do in a pinch. If that's not good enough, then take a walk to the nearest bar and order up a good single malt or Kentucky Bourbon.

Alcohol is sold in the ship's store at prices that are just about the same as what you would pay in a duty/tax free shop in port. Alcohol by the drink is marked up to at least two to three times the purchase price. That is the answer to the why.

I don't know if I would call Sky Vodka c**p booze which is one of the choices on the room service list of bottles you can purchase. Granted it's not the brand I purchase, but it will do in a pinch. If that's not good enough, then take a walk to the nearest bar and order up a good single malt or Kentucky Bourbon.

Sky is drinkable on the rocks although I would prefer something else. Again, the choices that are available are mainly "mixing" liquor.

Edited by Thrak

That sure seems silly. You can walk over to the wine bar, buy a bottle of wine and take it to your room. You can also take an unfinished bottle of wine that you ordered with your meal in a dining room or restaurant back to your room.

That sure seems silly. You can walk over to the wine bar, buy a bottle of wine and take it to your room. You can also take an unfinished bottle of wine that you ordered with your meal in a dining room or restaurant back to your room.[/quote

With wine you are paying maybe $30 + 15% for a bottle you can purchase on shore for $10 or less. This is why you can walk away with it. The profit is made.

If you are willing to pay for the entire bottle of JW Blue at a bar and at bar prices which would be somewhere in the $300/$350 range, you could probably carry it back to your cabin. The onboard shops sell alcohol by the bottle for far less than the bar prices, which is why it isn't silly, it is just protection of on board alcohol sales. All the major, non-all inclusive, lines have the same kind of policies.

Looking back at my post, the only thing missing from it was this: :cool: Or this::p Maybe even this: ;)

What I didn't want to do was start a debate on the value of a bottle of alcohol sold in whole versus the amount of revenue it will generate when sold by the per unit price.

I was just sort of chiming in trying to say how much I wish I could have my bottle of JW Blue in my cabin.

Oh, also missing from my post or my signature line: Food & Beverage Director, Hilton Hotels. Retired.

:cool:

OK- let me try to sift through this! So, I don't have to buy alcohol through Room Service. I can go to the ship's store (NOT duty free) and buy my bottle (Southern Comfort) for the room...??

BTW - thanks for the info from everyone.

OK- let me try to sift through this! So, I don't have to buy alcohol through Room Service. I can go to the ship's store (NOT duty free) and buy my bottle (Southern Comfort) for the room...??

Please share the details once you know more.

I didnt know that there are 2 kinds of ship stores.

AFAIK all alcohol sold from onboard stores are delivered to the room on the last night of the cruise.

That's the problem sometimes... the original thought get's lost in all the clutter.

NO, you can not purchase liquor from the gift shop and take it to your room. Any liquor you want for the room must be ordered in advance before you board or from Room Service once you get to your room. FYI, it's nice to do it in advance so you know it's done.. but once the bottles didn't arrive until the

2nd day and once the bottles were actually a couple of dollars cheaper in the room service book than what I paid three months earlier. Just saying

Would love to have a pint of Knob Creek in the room.

BTW, I've had Johny Walker Black but never the Blue. Is the Blue that much better? And, what's a JWB going to cost me at the bar?

Would love to have a pint of Knob Creek in the room.

BTW, I've had Johny Walker Black but never the Blue. Is the Blue that much better? And, what's a JWB going to cost me at the bar?

JWB by the bottle pricing will fluctuate. I've seen it as low as $165 per bottle and as high as $225 per bottle. Thus, a shot of JWB will also move from $30 a shot to as high as $45 a shot.

My first taste was on the Caribbean Princess ($40 by the way in Crooner's) and I was HOOKED! I will normally only have a pull on special days. Birthday's, Christmas, Anniversary, and St. Patrick's Day (just to name a few).

And let me add: I have the AIBP this December on the Regal. However on our wedding anniversary while on that cruise, I will go to Crooner's and order me one shot of JWB to Celebrate.

Edited by WISH84

JWB by the bottle pricing will fluctuate. I've seen it as low as $165 per bottle and as high as $225 per bottle. Thus, a shot of JWB will also move from $30 a shot to as high as $45 a shot.

My first taste was on the Caribbean Princess ($40 by the way in Crooner's) and I was HOOKED! I will normally only have a pull on special days. Birthday's, Christmas, Anniversary, and St. Patrick's Day (just to name a few).

And let me add: I have the AIBP this December on the Regal. However on our wedding anniversary while on that cruise, I will go to Crooner's and order me one shot of JWB to Celebrate.

I will have to try that. I was a big single malt guy until I discovered Knob Creek. I did see the JWB on Regal but never had time to ask.

Thanks.

Saw this and thought you might be interested in the whiskey flights (down about paragraph 3).

http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=6620&UTM_Source=Social&UTM_Medium=Facebook&UTM_Campaign=News&UTM_Content=Princess&UTM_Term=Princess

I would be interested in knowing how much that shot will cost you? I wonder if they have McCallan's (sp?).

Edited by Working 2 Cruise

There are 12 brands of spirits available for room service bottles, and I suspect that's why Princess sells these brands for less than half of what other cruise lines charge. If you want to have every high-end brand, or even to double or triple the offerings, you're no longer going to get the great price.

I'm perfectly happy with Jim Beam. If you feel that 12-year-old Glenlivet is important, then you can buy it at the bar. I'd rather sit on my balcony with Jim Beam than sit in an inside room with Glenlivet.

Jim

On Holland America you can call room service and order a full sized bottle, not the mini sized package at a horrid price. It will delivered to your cabin very quickly. The price is higher than the take home duty free price, but cheaper than ashore. Why can Princess not offer the same service, it would prevent the sneaking aboard that so many try?