Have U ever purchased fine jewelry on ship?

Kellyann

I'm on the Breakaway in November and would like to purchase a beautiful ring while on the ship. Since I admit to not really knowing the difference in quality gems, I would be forced to just "trust" in the value. For this reason I don't want to purchase at a store in the Bahamas nor will I have the time. Also, I don't have a jeweler at home that I deal with.

Have any of you purchased a nice piece of jewelry on a NCL ship and were you happy with the quality and price? Do you negotiate with them or just pay the price listed?

Thanks for your help.

You will do much better in your home town than onboardand the same goes for the shops that are located near the pier that the cruise co. promote because they get huge kick backs.

Plus there has been negative stories over the years about lack of service when problems arrive such as what was mentioned earlier.

I bought an expensive larimar necklace and pair of earrings about 2 years ago. I have a lot of jewelry....ranging from inexpensive to very expensive and "gems" is my avocation. I'm very happy with this purchase.

I don't know what you consider "fine jewelry"....but since you aren't that experienced....you may want to stick with "brand names" such as Effy or Marlargo...as they will stand behind their products.

Edited by MsTabbyKats

I have never bought on ship, but I will throw in my 2 cents that if they offer Effy, get it. They have customer service in the US no matter where you bought it, and guarantee their work. I had a stone fall out of a tennis bracelet and they replaced the stone and repaired it for free! Plus they have an upgrade program that if you get sick of the piece you can use it as trade in for a new piece.

We have never bought jewellry during a cruise and would suggest "caveat emptor". You are buying from someone who you are unlikely to ever see again so may have great difficulty getting anything that goes wrong sorted. Find a jewellers at home and build a rapport with them.

As I said "caveat emptor" (take care/ buyer beware); I looked at buying a piece of amber as they were offering it at a price I would have been interested in. I have a relative who works with metal and who would have mounted it for me. No show! You had to buy it mounted and on a silver chain. Comparing the chain on the amber with the chain on offer (per inch) on the boat it was about 10 times the price.

The amber price was a "steal" to get you to buy really expensive silver!!

Mike

Pom by Birth; Coin Collecting Retired Kiwi by Choice.

If you find a piece you truly love, and the price is something you are willing to pay, AND if you won't be truly upset if the quality isn't wasn't what you assumed when you purchased it, and you will actually wear it and not toss it in a drawer or jewel box, of course you can buy fine jewelry on the ship. Just remember the jewelry store on the ship is a concessionaire and is PAYING Norwegian to set up their shop on board and they are willing to sell you anything because it is their bottom line. The hassle that you might encounter if you need to have it repaired/replaced/exchanged might just be that more difficult.

You mentioned that you didn't want to buy in port as you didn't know the quality of different gems, well the store on the ship is one of several that you will see in every port -- Colombian Emeralds, Diamonds International etc. They are all selling the same thing.

I have bought several things on several Princess Ships and have been very happy. My sister had bought Diamonds from Diamonds International (I think) stores in Cozmuel and I can't remember the other port a few years later. When she got home, she had them appraised, and they were appraised higher then what she paid. We did have to barter and forth with my husband telling her from a distance whether he thought the price was good or not, and she finally got the ring for what we thought was a great price. If you know what you want, and what you want to pay, then go for it at a reputable store.

The cruise lines have quality jewelry. I agree about the Effy they are a great company. The jewelry might not be the best price but it won't be inferior or fake. If you find something you like and want it for the memory go for it. I have purchased pieces on the ship because I loved it and the price was fair. I have purchased pieces on the island that I liked also. DO NOT PURCHASE IT IN THE BEGINNING OF THE CRUISE!! They usually have sales thru out the week. If it speaks to you get it!! You will regret it later if you don't.

With the advent of the internet the days of deals in the Caribbean are over.

My cousin bought his GF a lovely cocktail ring on the Epic in January. The stones repeatedly fell out. It took months for the on-line jeweler to make it right. I think they finally refunded my cousin's money. The whole experience left a very bad taste in everyone's mouth.

Especially if you don't know what you are doing, buy local. You can do your research. Come back a few a times & have a brick & mortar store where you can address any post purchase problems.

So many thoughtful comments and I thank you all. I think with my limited knowledge in this regard, I might be better finding a local store that has a reputation to maintain. You answered my question.

You are in Philadelphia. Go down to 8th and Walnut and see the folks at Steven Singer.

http://www.ihatestevensinger.com

My wife fell in love with the ammolite that was and is the push. I'll admit that the colors in the stone look great but the price tag did not. I bought a ammolite stone on line and then took it to my local jeweler and had a necklace made. Total cost was under $300 - value was estimated at $400 by our local jeweler guy (for insurance reasons if needed).... she wore it on our next cruise and just for fun I had the jeweler shop on board appraise it - they told me that if it was in their shop they would put a $1200 price tag on it.

We don't buy on board.. keep the money local is what I say

I never bought on a ship but a saw a beautiful watch on my last cruise but I assumed it would be over priced because it was on the ship...I decided to wait and purchase once I returned home only to discover it was $400 more expensive than the ship! If only I had had an interne pkg I would have known!

I've purchased a fair amount over the years on various ships (my DH was really insistent about it). We did get Tag watches (so we knew prices anyway) and some lovely "sparkly" things :D. And, now that he passed away, I have wonderful things that I wear, and love, and they bring fantastic memories back.

I wouldn't trade them for anything (then again, maybe we just had good luck and never had things go wrong with the items).