Upsell Offer - Premium Balcony to Mini Suite

flip side of fifty

Also depends on whether you want to pack up and move on your turnaround day.

Perhaps they don't realize you are on a B2B. You might call and remind them of that. They must have a reason for wanting your particular balcony category or cabin....Maybe you can deal and get the mini for both legs. EM

Also depends on whether you want to pack up and move on your turnaround day.

Perhaps they don't realize you are on a B2B. You might call and remind them of that. They must have a reason for wanting your particular balcony category or cabin....Maybe you can deal and get the mini for both legs. EM

I could have my TA check that out - but there seems to be a big disparity between the 2 weeks (from a sell out perspective) so maybe that has something to do with it. I 've never been offered an upsell before.

there seems to be a big disparity between the 2 weeks (from a sell out perspective)

To OP...

That does happen...last year on Royal we were on a cruise with a variety of days and stops. One was 15 days, one 18, one 22 and another 25. The cabins on different legs showed up as sold on some legs and not on others; it was strange.

You should call Princess and see what they can do for you. Perhaps who can get a specific cabin number if you ask nicely.

Steve

Received an email Upsell Offer from Princess through my TA:

From my C610 Premium Balcony to an unknown Mini Suite. I have a 7 day B2B on the Caribbean Princess. The first leg has no offer, but the second leg upsell offer is for a Mini for an additional $109 pp.

Should I take it? :confused:

Keep in mind the longer you take to decide if you want to take advantage of the offer, there are others adding their names to the upgrade list ahead of you.

Just out of curiosity, how does Princess deal with upgrades?

Obviously from this post, they try to sell upgrades rather than giving them away. Makes sense. But if they call, do they give you 24 hours to respond or lose the offer? Or do they make the offer to multiple families and the first one to say "yes" gets it?

At the port, do they sell upgrades (if cabins are still available)? Or give them away? Or just keep everyone where they are assigned?

There are SO many things I don't know about a new (to us) line!

Just out of curiosity' date=' how does Princess deal with upgrades?

Obviously from this post, they try to sell upgrades rather than giving them away. Makes sense. But if they call, do they give you 24 hours to respond or lose the offer? Or do they make the offer to multiple families and the first one to say "yes" gets it?

[/quote']

Princess emails you (or your TA if booked through one) with the upgrade offer. You call them back (phone number provided in the email) and leave your name, phone number, booking number, ship/sail date, etc. Princess returns calls in the order received, so I suppose if you wait too long to respond it's possible any upgrades they had available will already be taken by those who responded ahead of you. I responded within 20 minutes of receiving the email with the upgrade offer and Princess called me back 3 hours later and "sealed the deal".

Received an email Upsell Offer from Princess through my TA:

From my C610 Premium Balcony to an unknown Mini Suite. I have a 7 day B2B on the Caribbean Princess. The first leg has no offer, but the second leg upsell offer is for a Mini for an additional $109 pp.

Should I take it? :confused:

I guess the fairy must have died. Upgrade is now up sell.

I guess the fairy must have died. Upgrade is now up sell.

We had a genuine upgrade in February. We booked a 4 day coastal on Crown Princess (all that would fit with work) and booked the cheapest inside cabin. Shortly before the cruise I found we had been upgraded to a handicapped accessible balcony on Caribe deck. A truly free multi-class upgrade. :)

Regarding the upsell to a mini on the Regal, keep in mind that there are quite a few mini balconies that are below the Skywalk. These balconies are in full or partial view (depending on the cabin) of the passengers walking or standing on the Skywalk. Some folks may not appreciate losing their privacy on the balcony. And its a similar situation on the Grand Class ships with the totally uncovered Dolphin Deck mini-suite balconies. They are in full view for those above on deck A, B, and C.

Hank

I don't think it's that good of a deal. If you booked before final payment you probably paid around $650 for your balcony. A mini suite is going for $799 on the December 13th sailing. They're having you pay almost full price for a min suite. I'm pretty sure I saw the minis going for $699 earlier today, but I could be wrong on that.

(I'm on the December 6th sailing and I've been keeping an eye everyday on prices for a few months now. The December 13th sailing always comes up when I check.)

Edited by faeriedust101

We should have mentioned that free upgrades still do occur (sometimes) when you book a guarantee. A few weeks ago we booked a BV (obstructed balcony) Guarantee on the Regal (just 10 days before the cruise) and were assigned a mid-ship BD balcony on deck 15. Our Cruise Agent thought she might be able to get us a further upgrade to a mini-suite until she discovered that they were all occupied (many by upgrades from regular balcony cabins).

Hank

We received an upsell offer on our November 20 Star Princess cruise a couple of weeks ago...And we took it...But, for us, it was $109 pp for a move from our Inside C512 to a Premium balcony C612...

The email only said upgrade from inside to an undisclosed balcony...But, when I called Princess, they were able to tell me specifically which balcony cabin...

The price differential still put me about $400 per person less than those Premium Balconies were selling for at the time--for new bookings only...After I upgraded, the Premium Balconies were sold out...

Since, for $218, I was "buying" a window AND an extra large balcony, I grabbed it...

I DO like extra space in my cabin, but I don't think I'd pay that $218 for just the extra space...not if I already had a Premium Balcony...The trade there is more like upgrading from a chair to a sofa...

How much time do you spend in the sitting area of the room? You won't notice a difference when you're sleeping, changing clothes, using the bathroom or outside on the balcony...

Edited by Bruin Steve

Shortly before the cruise I found we had been upgraded to a handicapped accessible balcony on Caribe deck. A truly free multi-class upgrade.

We had one of those on Emerald in 2013...What a cabin! It was a Thursday notification for a cruise leaving that Saturday.

OTOH on another cruise we got an unasked-for upgrade to a location we did not want. We called right away and asked (& got) our original cabin back.

Steve

M108 the best mini suite on the ship !!! Grab it if you can. You are on top of the bridge and the balcony is HUGE !!! So is interior. Only downside is you have to keep the curtains closed at night due to glare on bridge and it can get windy on balcony while at sea. That is the reason they state limited access while at sea. The obstruction is the fact that the wall of the balcony is steel rather than glass. I have M108 on the 5/7/16 sailing of the Royal (Regal's Sister ship).

Edited by Mike A

I don't think it's that good of a deal. If you booked before final payment you probably paid around $650 for your balcony. A mini suite is going for $799 on the December 13th sailing. They're having you pay almost full price for a min suite. I'm pretty sure I saw the minis going for $699 earlier today, but I could be wrong on that.

(I'm on the December 6th sailing and I've been keeping an eye everyday on prices for a few months now. The December 13th sailing always comes up when I check.)

I let my 83 year old mother (my cabin mate) make the decision. Because we were already in a nicely located premium balcony, and she wanted to stay in the same cabin, we gave it a pass. If it had been an UPgrade - that would have been different, but we also decided it just wasn't that good of a deal - for the same reasons you stated. Maybe we'll see you on the Dec 6th cruise!