Neptune Suite Coffee Maker

3rdGenCunarder

Has anyone heard any details on the coffee-espresso machine that will be in the Neptune Suites?

I called Ship's Services and asked. She said "No, ma'am, there are no coffee makers in the cabins." When I told her that there will be coffee makers in Neptune Suites in January, she ummed and uhhed and then said "Oh, they haven't gotten around to that yet."

Just thinking ahead to whether I will want to buy "pods" in order to have coffee that I know I'll like.

Has anyone heard any details on the coffee-espresso machine that will be in the Neptune Suites?

I called Ship's Services and asked. She said "No, ma'am, there are no coffee makers in the cabins." When I told her that there will be coffee makers in Neptune Suites in January, she ummed and uhhed and then said "Oh, they haven't gotten around to that yet."

Just thinking ahead to whether I will want to buy "pods" in order to have coffee that I know I'll like.

I can't believe ships services can be so uninformed. If 'we' the passengers know these things why do they not know these things. Are they not notified or do they not read their own publicity? Should be required reading :mad:

It's a Nespresso machine. I'll still walk down to the Neptune Lounge and let my wife sleep. The coffee in the NL is really good, the pastries tasty, and CNN or BBC News is on the TV to keep me in touch with the outside world.

Edited by blizzardboy

HAL is not consistent with what is in the cabins.

For example -- this is the type of coffee machine we had on our recent Eurodam cruise -- PS cabin:

2015%20Eurodam%20ship%20pictures%20033_zpst5v07ddd.jpg

While last spring on the Zuiderdam we had the Nespresso in our PS cabin:

2015%20Zuiderdam%20Ship%20pictures%20016_zpsxrmzrkoi.jpg

I'll take the Nespresso please. :)

I can't believe ships services can be so uninformed. If 'we' the passengers know these things why do they not know these things. Are they not notified or do they not read their own publicity? Should be required reading :mad:

You must not spend much time here :D;). The staff on board is not much better sometimes. A friend wanted to inquire about retreat cabanas on the eurodam while on the eurodam. The front office staff told them no such cabanas were on the ship. Might be a good idea to walk around the ship once in a while :D.

Which coffee machine did you like better, KK?

Kathy, why not toss a few pods into your suitcase, just in case you don't like the ones they offer. they don't weigh very much.

I like the looks of the nespresso and particularly the large supply of pods from which to choose. On my NCL cruise this summer, I told the butler which coffee I liked and he left a generous supply of pods of my choice for me to enjoy. :)

You must not spend much time here :D;). The staff on board is not much better sometimes. A friend wanted to inquire about retreat cabanas on the eurodam while on the eurodam. The front office staff told them no such cabanas were on the ship. Might be a good idea to walk around the ship once in a while :D.

Now that really made me LOL. And then I realised just how bad that is.:(

Not impressed with either. But if I have a choice, it would be a pod system. That way there are more choices available.

Not sure if you have ever seen the Nespresso. If you look at KK's photo, there are a bunch of different pods. We had three different pods to choose from which was more than sufficient for all of us.

HAL is not consistent with what is in the cabins.

For example -- this is the type of coffee machine we had on our recent Eurodam cruise -- PS cabin:

2015%20Eurodam%20ship%20pictures%20033_zpst5v07ddd.jpg

While last spring on the Zuiderdam we had the Nespresso in our PS cabin:

2015%20Zuiderdam%20Ship%20pictures%20016_zpsxrmzrkoi.jpg

It must have been replaced after May. We took a B2B in the PS on the Zuiderdam in May 2014, and the coffee maker is pictured below. They did however, replace the toaster from the year before! We were in cabin 7045 on each year. Maybe you were the other cabin.

IMG_0858%20Medium.jpg

Below is the Mr. Coffee in the PS on the Noordam this year. We have only used the coffee maker once.

It'll be nice to get a newer coffee maker next February, one that sells for more than $19.95 :).

IMG_0566%20Medium.jpg

Kathy, why not toss a few pods into your suitcase, just in case you don't like the ones they offer. they don't weigh very much.

I like the looks of the nespresso and particularly the large supply of pods from which to choose. On my NCL cruise this summer, I told the butler which coffee I liked and he left a generous supply of pods of my choice for me to enjoy. :)

That's my plan. I've used a Keurig in hotels, but never tried a Nespresso. I didn't think the pods for the two machines are interchangeable. "K-cups" are available all over the place. If N-pods are different, I'll have to do a little looking around to see what's available.

For those who've had coffee makers of some sort on HAL, did they give you a supply of milk/cream and sugar, or did you have to raid the Lido?

Edited to add: Just took another look at the pictures. DH would be thrilled with the $19.95 Mr Coffee!

Edited by 3rdGenCunarder

That's my plan. I've used a Keurig in hotels, but never tried a Nespresso. I didn't think the pods for the two machines are interchangeable. "K-cups" are available all over the place. If N-pods are different, I'll have to do a little looking around to see what's available.

For those who've had coffee makers of some sort on HAL, did they give you a supply of milk/cream and sugar, or did you have to raid the Lido?

Edited to add: Just took another look at the pictures. DH would be thrilled with the $19.95 Mr Coffee!

Keurig and Nespresso cups/pods are not interchangeable. Unfortunately the Nespresso pods are not quite as broadly or widely available. We have both at home but use the Nespresso for cappuccino or expresso and the Keurig for more regular coffees though Mrs K particularly likes it for her flavored coffees. Of course we have a regular coffee maker for work days and use the Keurig and Nespresso more on the weekends.

Edited by Randyk47

Keurig and Nespresso cups/pods are not interchangeable. Unfortunately the Nespresso pods are not quite as broadly or widely available. We have both at home but use the Nespresso for cappuccino or expresso and the Keurig for more regular coffees though Mrs K particularly likes it for her flavored coffees. Of course we have a regular coffee maker for work days and use the Keurig and Nespresso more on the weekends.

I did a little looking at Nespresso machines. I don't see any tea pods. One reason I liked having a Keurig in a hotel was its flexibility, making coffee or tea. You cannot make tea with water heated in a Mr Coffee, it tastes like a mix of tea and coffee. I like both, but NOT at the same time!

We'll be in an aft Neptune, so it will be nice to have a quick cup of coffee or tea without the long walk.

We didn't use either machine.

I don't drink coffee and DH gets his coffee either in the Neptune Lounge or at the Pinnacle.

It must have been replaced after May. We took a B2B in the PS on the Zuiderdam in May 2014, and the coffee maker is pictured below. They did however, replace the toaster from the year before! We were in cabin 7045 on each year. Maybe you were the other cabin.

IMG_0858%20Medium.jpg

Below is the Mr. Coffee in the PS on the Noordam this year. We have only used the coffee maker once.

It'll be nice to get a newer coffee maker next February, one that sells for more than $19.95 :).

IMG_0566%20Medium.jpg

Zuiderdam we were in 7046.

I have never seen any cream or milk in the refrigerator. You have to get your own. There is sugar in one of cabinets.

You could get milk in the Neptune Lounge.

HAL will try to recycle anything they can. Saw an interview with the CEO of Kuerig and he does not use pods as the company's pods were not recyclable!

We throw our used Keurig cups in the recycle bin at home but I suppose the recycle center just weeds those out at the sorting point if they can't be recycled. (NOTE: I just looked at our Keurig cup selection and indeed none of them have the recycle symbol and code on them.) The Nespresso pods appear to be all or mostly aluminium so should be able to be recycled like beverage cans.

We had the standard drip coffee pot in our PS on the Rotterdam last month, which was the best possible appliance for several reasons:

1) The coffee pot produced no inorganic waste. Pod coffee makers create a horrendous amount of waste, which, at best can only be recyclced--not repurposed or reused. From a sustainability perspective there are the worst possible option.

2) It produced regular, black coffee, at the strength that we wanted. With pods you have predosed amounts. Your only way to play with strength is to do a "through-pour" (like an espresso lungo) and play with when to pull the cup before you are left on the border between battery acid (long pulls are more bitter) and insipid.

3) It allowed up to have coffee ready when we woke up, without having to fiddle with the machine for 10 minutes to produce two cups of coffee.

And it did not require us to consume Nestlé product. I will go a long way, and spend more to keep money out of Nestlé's pockets.