Shows on the QM2

SylviaB

We've been taking transatlantic voyages on the QM2 since 2010 and on every voyage, West and East bound, they've put on Viva Italia and Apassionata. Is this just a transatlantic thing or on all Cunard ships. 5 Years of the same, and in my humble opinion, rather mediocre shows seems lazy and uninspired.

I know shows on Broadway last years, but this hardly in the same category. Viva Italia especially is filled with cringe worthy stereotypes and tropes.

Cringeworthy is a good word for Viva Italiana. I don't like it. But I fear that both shows are here to stay because it costs a lot of money up front to develop new shows. On our crossing this summer, I noticed that Apassionata is now their "signature show," in an attempt to make old and tired seem like a tradition.

When we did the 22-day voyage around Australia a few years ago, we saw a show that goes back to QE2. I don't remember what it's called. I just know that I recognized the spot where they sang the wrong words to a Cole Porter song and got suspicious. Then when the women came out in Mondrian dresses and white gogo boots for a '60s number, I knew I'd seen that show on QE2. I asked the CD why they'd dredged up something so old and he said that to fill the entertainment slots on the World Cruise, they needed more shows (or else each segment would see Apassionata multiple times).

It isn't just Cunard. We were on HAL's Veendam this fall and saw the same two production shows we'd see on a Bermuda cruise on Veendam 5 years ago.

Edited by 3rdGenCunarder

We've been taking transatlantic voyages on the QM2 since 2010 and on every voyage, West and East bound, they've put on Viva Italia and Apassionata. Is this just a transatlantic thing or on all Cunard ships. 5 Years of the same, and in my humble opinion, rather mediocre shows seems lazy and uninspired.

I know shows on Broadway last years, but this hardly in the same category. Viva Italia especially is filled with cringe worthy stereotypes and tropes.

We were on the same recent roundtrip Transatlantic cruise as yourselves and for the first week we watched Viva Italia and Apassionata and was not very impressed and agree that they were mediocre shows but was absolutely flabbergasted to see the same 2 shows on our second week. Done many cruises with different cruiselines over the years and never had shows repeated on same cruise and felt it was very lazy by Cunard and disappointing.

When I asked Paul O'Laughlin about these two shows this past August, he told me that the powers that be at Cunard had at long last agreed to offer something new in their place. He didn't say when this would be, but the sooner the better!

I was amazed to read from this thread that Cunard are STILL showing “Apassionata” on the Queen Mary 2.

Having sailed on Queen Mary 2 several times since her launch in 2004 and seen the show every trip I feel my wife and I could act as understudies for the cast (although I suppose not being able to sing or dance may be an issue).

It is in fact nearly 5 years since we last sailed on her for a New York/Caribbean cruise and I remember vividly talking to our dining companions very early in the cruise and saying that surely "Apassionata" would not be featured. But yes it was, of course, and now I see it is still on!

We are doing a TA next year and live in hope of some new shows – but will not hold our breath! I know it is expensive to create new shows but other cruise lines manage it perfectly and although I may be wrong I would imagine "Apassionata" is the longest serving show on the seas! Surely time to be pensioned off (and please take "Viva Italia" with her!)

Not sure if its laziness and cost cutting by Cunard or laziness and cost cutting by Cunard or the fact that the singers/dancers werent good enough to do anything else. This was the only aspect of the cruise that we were disappointed with and seen far better shows on P&O with more choice.

Wow! I couldn't agree more about "Viva Italia" and "Apassionata." But IMHO the issue is not with the talent of the singers and dancers, as I think they are professionals, but the issue is with the tired material. I am almost embarrassed to be seen at these shows. Sadly they are not too different than shows on many (not all) other cruise lines. Happily we usually have the option of enjoying excellent jazz in the Chart Room, or even a movie in the planetarium/theater.

My husband and I are both 40 and did an 18-day round-trip crossing in October.

We attend many theater productions in any given year, and have a strong taste for experimental and fringe theater.

So to us, the production shows on the QM2 felt like they were being staged from an alternate dimension where Donnie Osmond was elected president, and Shirley Jones was appointed a supreme court judge.

When RADA and Julian Lloyd Webber were aboard, we had no reason to see any of the production shows. But RADA closed for the season after the eastbound leg, so we saw all of the production shows from that point on.

The production shows were uniformly terrible. Viva Italia and an absolutely absurd Neil Diamond tribute were so ridiculous that we found ourselves LAUGHING REALLY HARD, despite our best efforts to not do so! (A chorus line of intergender dancing Mona Lisas is almost weird enough to be a fringe fest entry.)

But laughing *at* a show is not fun (or polite, obviously), because all the performers seemed very sincere and were putting tons of energy into their work. In fact, during shows when we were seated close to the stage, we felt a bit of pressure to smile and be non-verbally supportive of the cast members, despite the terribly shrill material they were performing.

I've no idea what demographic these shows are aimed at, but the audience was comprised primarily of people in their 50s and 60s, and none of them seemed impressed. At 40, we weren't impressed, and were uncomfortable watching the shows. The few 30-somethings we saw seemed as uncomfortable as we felt.

Edited by PatriciaMay

Wow! I couldn't agree more about "Viva Italia" and "Apassionata." But IMHO the issue is not with the talent of the singers and dancers, as I think they are professionals, but the issue is with the tired material. I am almost embarrassed to be seen at these shows. Sadly they are not too different than shows on many (not all) other cruise lines. Happily we usually have the option of enjoying excellent jazz in the Chart Room, or even a movie in the planetarium/theater.

It isn't the performers, it's the material. And you're right, Cunard isn't alone in having poor production shows. I hated the shows on Princess. Not only was the show design poor, it was over-amplified, as if LOUD makes up for BAD.

As someone who has zero appreciation for the type of music (racket:() used in big shows, I make a point of avoiding them except for once every half dozen voyages. I go just to remind myself of why I don't like the big shows.

A cruise on Holland America earlier this year proved to me that there are far worse - louder to be more accurate - shows than on Cunard.

The last ship we were on which had "big shows" I could not only attend but enjoy was P&O's Canberra. They had their own theatre group - the Stadium Theatre Company I believe it was called - and produced a most enjoyable London Music Hall night and an abridged version of a musical or play. P&O's evening entertainment, at least at that time (late 1980s to early 1990s), wasn't strictly over-amplified pop stuff, although they certainly had some of that on board. There was a featured classical musician but no string quartet or harpist.

As someone who has zero appreciation for the type of music (racket:() used in big shows, I make a point of avoiding them except for once every half dozen voyages. I go just to remind myself of why I don't like the big shows.

A cruise on Holland America earlier this year proved to me that there are far worse - louder to be more accurate - shows than on Cunard.

The last ship we were on which had "big shows" I could not only attend but enjoy was P&O's Canberra. They had their own theatre group - the Stadium Theatre Company I believe it was called - and produced a most enjoyable London Music Hall night and an abridged version of a musical or play. P&O's evening entertainment, at least at that time (late 1980s to early 1990s), wasn't strictly over-amplified pop stuff, although they certainly had some of that on board. There was a featured classical musician but no string quartet or harpist.

Which HAL ship were you on? It seems each of their ships has its own shows. The worst overamplification on HAL was on Maasdam. I fled before I was deafened. At least Cunard gets the volume at a reasonable level.

Edited by 3rdGenCunarder

Must say that after reading all of your posts I feel somewhat blessed. Hubby is not into musical theatre type things, so on our multiple crossings, I have neither cajoled him into going nor abandoned him to go on my own.

I remain in the (seemingly) innocent state of having seen neither Viva Italia nor Apassionata!

Edited by Toffeegirl68

We were on Mary last year and they had taken Appasionatta off then I think.

If we go to the shows now I take a cotton ball and stuff it in my ears to dull the sound down.

Also we have to remember that for a lot of people it is the 1st time to see the shows.

I just wish the female lead singer was up to the job mostly their voices are not good enough and someone thinks if they turn it up it helps:eek:

We travelled to and from the US last year and on our return voyage enjoyed some wonderful performances in the Winter Garden by both the RADA group and members of the orchestra who had been evicted from the theatre because (we were told) new shows were being rehearsed.

It would appear that our information was entirely false if these old shows are still being trotted out.

I loved Appassionata the first time I saw it and quite enjoyed it the second time but now it's becoming embarrassing that it is still doing the rounds.

Very disappointed to hear this news.

I've been reluctant to add more for fear of appearing too negative. After all we do love the jazz in the Chart Room and the QM2's orchestra. But PatriciaMay's post is inspiring.

While we are a bit older than Patricia (mid-60s), we strongly believe that Viva Italia and Passionata are typical of what makes cruise ships so very un-cool for many in our generation. These types of shows are like Saturday Night Live parodies of life on a cruise ship. And as our generation ages, ships try to update their offerings by going rock-n-roll, and thus one gets the Neil Diamond tribute. Again, way un-cool. We would love to see just plain quality, even something simpler such as a solo singer backed by the talented orchestra. But alas, I fear that many passengers have grown to expect these big shows, so typical of many cruise lines, even the more expensive ones.

So my best recommendation to see these shows once and then avoid them. Happily there are other things to do on the QM2.

In case someone considering sailing with Cunard for the first time is reading this thread, I do want to point out that the production shows are not the only shows in the theatre. They do offer individual performers backed by the orchestra, both classical performers and people doing more contemporary music. I've also seen comedians, magicians. So there is variety in the theatre, plus jazz combo, string quartet, harpist, pianists in other venues.

Plenty of ways to avoid Appassionata.

Edited by 3rdGenCunarder

You are quite correct 3GC..... we did go to one show on QV with our table mates a couple of trips ago.... it was a show which starred 3 different acts and it was very good. An excellent 'night out' as such.

The joy of being on board is that there are so many things to do / go see to keep yourself happily entertained.

(The following is personal opinion)

For what it's worth, I'm a musical theater fan, who typically travels to NY annually for a half-dozen shows and actually enjoys a big fun production show. These two - ESPECIALLY "Viva Italia" are simply not very good.

I love a fun song and dance number and I've seen shows where the simple showmanship of the piece, production, and talent overwhelms misgivings and captures the crowd. Likewise, some big effects are simply a lot of fun when the mood is with the show - but can become laughable and wind up highlighting the horribleness if people are already sitting back and resisting the production. A cheezy effect can get laughs in a good show, but in a laughable one it'll just sit there.

The fault of the shows (again, especially Viva Italia) lies in the shows themselves. In our cruises, I've found the talent of the performances varies from the usually competent, to occasions where there are performers who simply have "it" and shine through the material or production. However, I think it's a truism that a great performer can elevate a mediocre show, but nothing can save a bad one.

One strong vote of support to Cunard for keeping live orchestras for their shows. More and more lines are using pre-recorded accompaniment which not only is a dead sound, but which forces the performers to a point where they are captive of a recording. It makes a difference and I salute Cunard for keeping music made by live musicians.

Although a cruise ship production show, like a Vegas show, or a jukebox musical, is of a type - and people who deeply dislike that genre will probably not enjoy the show, but for most others, if it's a good show done well, people will respond and enjoy it. Will they consider it a great theatrical experience? Of course not - but that's OK.

I've especially enjoyed recent shows on the Crystal Serenity, Celebrity Infinity, and the old NCL shows produced by the Jean-Ann Ryan dancers (and billed as such). ...however, while talking to an ensemble member on the Infinity in January, I learned that they were about to be replaced in decision to move all performers to a Celebrity team (they were employed by a third-party production team, as is common). Celebrity bought the rights to the material and the costumes and set pieces.

It can be done. It's a surprisingly hard tightrope to walk, but it can be done. Cunard needs to do it because they don't now. And they've been not doing it with the same shows for too long.

Edited by MarkBearSF

I remember when Jean Ann Ryan did the shows on QE2. Those were excellent. I remember one that was designed specifically to highlight Cunard's history, with vintage images projected onto screens and singers and dancers in period costume performing songs appropriate to each period. Haven't seen anything that well done in ages.

I remember when Jean Ann Ryan did the shows on QE2. Those were excellent. I remember one that was designed specifically to highlight Cunard's history, with vintage images projected onto screens and singers and dancers in period costume performing songs appropriate to each period. Haven't seen anything that well done in ages.

I was unaware that they did shows for the QE2. I had heard about the Jean Ann Ryan Dancers for years but not really being big NCL fans, we hadn't seen them there until doing a couple of cruises 10 years ago or so and were very impressed.

Edited by MarkBearSF

I was unaware that they did shows for the QE2. I had heard about the Jean Ann Ryan Dancers for years but not really being big NCL fans, we hadn't seen them there until doing a couple of cruises 10 years ago or so and were very impressed.

I recall seeing Jean Ann Ryan shows on NCL. They were good, too. I don't know if it's true, but someone told me that JAR gave up the contract with Cunard because NCL was expanding their fleet rapidly and they needed to focus their resources on that contract.

BTW, if you enjoy a good song-and-dance show, next time you go to NYC, get tix to Something Rotten. No serious message, no important theme. Just FUN!

Edited by 3rdGenCunarder

Which HAL ship were you on? It seems each of their ships has its own shows. The worst overamplification on HAL was on Maasdam. I fled before I was deafened. At least Cunard gets the volume at a reasonable level.

It was the Noordam. There was much discussion on CC about the B B King Blues (which I wouldn't be attending even if there was no amplification) and warnings even from the fans that ear-pugs may be necessary. Whilst walking around the ship we could hear this a considerable distance away.

I stood at the back of the theatre one evening at one of the big shows. It was lavishly staged and the dancers were obviously talented, but in addition to the music not being my "cuppa" it was way too loud and I left after two minutes.

We were going to look in to the theatre another night and about 50 metres away we could hear the noise and some people were coming out covering their ears. We made an about turn.

We heard rumours of a "piano man" in a specific lounge but any time we went to that venue he was not there or it was closed for a private function.

One morning we sat in the Crows Nest - because Noordam has a similar layout to the Queen Elizabeth we couldn't get out of the habit of calling this the Commodore Club - and enjoyed the stunning scenery. After 10 minutes someone turned on the tannoy which was playing rock music, fortunately not too loudly. Most of the open deck spaces are silent (except at the stern) and it was particularly enjoyable when the bow area was opened up during the visit to Glacier Bay. We couldn't have appreciated the natural sounds (especially glaciers calving) if pop music was being played.

Edited by david,Mississauga
typo