What are you allowed to bring back on the ship?

GreenGuyJ

What restrictions are there on purchases made at ports and brought back to the ship? I'm a foodie, so I'm specifically talking about food and alcohol: chocolate, baked goods, spices, fruits, wine, rum, etc.

Alcohol will be taken and stored for you to pick up at the end of the cruise. Technically, nothing that is not factory sealed can be brought onboard, but that is not always enforced. I don't think any fresh fruits can be brought onboard, that's a USPH violation.

You can pretty much bring anything ON the ship...prepackaged stuff, definitely...but taking fruits, cheese, meats or produce/flowers, etc... back OFF will not be allowed....unless it's prepackaged...like beef jerky or some sort of sealed foods.

What restrictions are there on purchases made at ports and brought back to the ship? I'm a foodie, so I'm specifically talking about food and alcohol: chocolate, baked goods, spices, fruits, wine, rum, etc.

As long it's in sealed packages or containers you bring it on board .

Alcohol will be held until the last night of the cruise. Open containers or packages will be seized and destroyed .

There are certain items you can bring back but could not bring back to the USA.

If in doubt, always wise to check at the front desk on the ship.

Some cruise lines do not allow you to bring wine back to the ship for consumption on the ship.

Keith

Just back from a cruise, and when visiting St Thomas, my DW picked up a couple of seashells at the beach. They were in a beach bag, and security saw it in the scan. Made us stop and went through the bag and took the seashells. I know the OP asked about food, but thought I would mention this so others aren't surprised.

Unfortunately no fresh or prepared food is allowed to be brought back on the ship from port. We learned this the hard way as we sat on a curb in St. Croix trying to down as much of the $40 in local Creole food as we could while they stowed the gates/carpets/etc in port.

Anything prepackaged / sealed is usually acceptable. Also chocolate bought at the chocolate stores in St Thomas and St Maarten are acceptable.

Yep.

And we took the chocolates from St Maarten off the ship into the US.

(and the chocolates from Greycliff in Nassau back into the US from a Disney cruise...not the ones we made during the tour, those were gone, but the ones the experts made and put in pretty boxes for us)