Flight out of Miami after cruise - can we make it?

Iamthesea

Pam On the cruise we were on with you I used John's car service

he was very prompt he dropped off at different terminals which was great as we shared with a few others from the roll call

Lyn

Thanks, Lyn. I remembered that you had prearranged but could not remember the name of the service you used. (Oceania had us returning home on such a late flight on that day that we spent most of the day in Miami Beach before going to the airport.) I certainly will check them out.

I don't want to rub salt into your wounds,

-but for others who are reading about your plight, here:

If the Air had been booked through Oceania, the Cruise Line and not you would be biting the bullet on this one.

Food for thought. :D

There are many reasons why people choose not to use the O air. In my case I was able to get first class tickets using points. The cost of first class tickets using O air would be exorbitant.

Just sayin'. Oceania air is not always the panacea.

• 2 weeks later...
Where are you flying to? I think we are both on the same cruise. 2/12 Riveria

We fly to TRI by way of CLT.

With your extra time ... Miami airport does have a TSA Precheck Application center where it is easy to walk in and apply. Takes about 10 minutes per person plus any wait time. It's land side in the North terminal right by the American check in lines and I think on the 3rd floor. TSA agents at the PreCheck line know where it is.

Consider it a fast pass for $17/year.

We do have TSA Precheck, so perhaps that will help. ;)

CintiPam - You are probably correct about the day being busy with 4 other cruise ships in port. However, at least we get in to Miami an hour before the others start arriving. We use QLS private transport.

We will be taking the Riviera to the Caribbean. I happened to look at our February airline reservations (made ourselves) and found that American has changed the flight/time and did not alert us. :mad:

Our original flight was to leave MIA at 11:26 (cutting it close, but doable). The new flight is scheduled to leave at 9:55! :eek: They is no way, right?

Since this will be our first Oceania cruise, we do not know how long it takes to disembark at the Port of Miami, or if Oceania allows walk-offs with carrying our own luggage.

Has anyone ever made a flight that early?

We disembarked Riviera on a Saturday (12/12/15) at terminal J. There were 6 huge ships also discharging passengers the same morning, so we were concerned that taxis might be scarce. The O transfer is hugely expensive, and gives, I believe, a 11:30 time as earliest flight. American had changed our flight to 10:55 am.

Riviera docked about 6:00 am and immediately started unloading baggage. We signed up for the earliest 8:00 disembark time, and were waiting in Martini Lounge. We were among the first 30 or so off, probably about 7:50, and got immediately through customs with our luggage (offloaded by ship's crew--we had only hand luggage), dropped a large bag at LuggageFree to have it shipped home, got a cab within 5 minutes, and got to the Miami airport at 8:29 am (for $27 plus tip). We were amazed. Airline checkin lines were long for coach, but we were flying first on miles, and have TSA-Pre, which made the process short and easy. We were in the Admirals Club before 9:15.

Two cautions however; it was a Saturday, so no traffic to airport. Also, O knew it had to get passengers off asap because the whole ship had to be sanitized after the minor norovirus outbreak on the previous cruise, so both those probably helped. I would have been nervous with a 9:55 flight, but would have made it with time to spare on that day. Good luck!

We disembarked Riviera on a Saturday (12/12/15) at terminal J. There were 6 huge ships also discharging passengers the same morning, so we were concerned that taxis might be scarce. The O transfer is hugely expensive, and gives, I believe, a 11:30 time as earliest flight. American had changed our flight to 10:55 am.

Riviera docked about 6:00 am and immediately started unloading baggage. We signed up for the earliest 8:00 disembark time, and were waiting in Martini Lounge. We were among the first 30 or so off, probably about 7:50, and got immediately through customs with our luggage (offloaded by ship's crew--we had only hand luggage), dropped a large bag at LuggageFree to have it shipped home, got a cab within 5 minutes, and got to the Miami airport at 8:29 am (for $27 plus tip). We were amazed. Airline checkin lines were long for coach, but we were flying first on miles, and have TSA-Pre, which made the process short and easy. We were in the Admirals Club before 9:15.

Two cautions however; it was a Saturday, so no traffic to airport. Also, O knew it had to get passengers off asap because the whole ship had to be sanitized after the minor norovirus outbreak on the previous cruise, so both those probably helped. I would have been nervous with a 9:55 flight, but would have made it with time to spare on that day. Good luck!

Even with everything going right a 9:55 flight could be iffy. Good luck if you try it. :):)

Then there are the days when you are still on the ship at 9:30am & the taxi line is long :D

I would rather sit around the airport for a few hrs than be panic stricken the day we almost missed our 12:30 pm flight :eek:

You never know what will happen on disembarkation day

Then there are the days when you are still on the ship at 9:30am & the taxi line is long :D

I would rather sit around the airport for a few hrs than be panic stricken the day we almost missed our 12:30 pm flight :eek:

You never know what will happen on disembarkation day

Agree 100% Better safe than sorry. It will cost more than a few hours if you miss your flight.

• 2 weeks later...

The Miami airport is close to port.

We disembarked Riviera on 12/12 in Miami. We walked off with our luggage at about 8:10 AM, got in the taxi line which was short at that time, went through security via TSA pre-check and made our early flight.

I wouldn't recommend it, but it worked for us.

Was the mess after an Oceania cruise? We have had that happen in Miami after a Celebrity cruise.

We normally have a driver lined up ahead of time.

Probably a good idea. We just disembarked Riviera on Dec 2nd and were off the ship and at the curb outside looking for a cab around 8am. There were 7 other ships in port on that day.

The availability of cabs at our terminal at that time was spotty at best. There were approximately 30 other disembarked passengers waiting in line with us. An independent company was soliciting the line offering transportation to Miami airport for $15 per person. We took that offer along with 12 others.

When we were in transit, we were able to see the other ships in port. The parking lots alongside those terminals were wall to wall yellow. It was abundantly clear where all the cabs were.

I sincerely hope more cabs showed up after our group had left, but at the time, it did not look good.

I know you had previously mentioned a change to your flight time, but just in case others are keeping their morning bookings, this could have been an issue.

Randy

Edited by Schmoe38

The Miami airport is close to port.

We disembarked Riviera on 12/12 in Miami. We walked off with our luggage at about 8:10 AM, got in the taxi line which was short at that time, went through security via TSA pre-check and made our early flight.

I wouldn't recommend it, but it worked for us.

I originally indicated we had disembarked on Dec 2nd but we actually got off with you on Dec 12th.

It sounds like the transportation issue improved.

Randy

I originally indicated we had disembarked on Dec 2nd but we actually got off with you on Dec 12th.

Randy

A lot depends on how many ships are in port.

Randy

I thought that sounded really early for the Dec 2nd disembarkation.