Given what happened at Bayport yesterday - Questions for those experienced

flip side of fifty

Any Information would be greatly appreciated:

My 83 year old mother and I are scheduled for the December 6 Caribbean Princess - out of Bayport, Houston. We have done this cruise before and did not have any problems, but .... Texas weather being what it is you never know.

We are driving down from San Antonio so there is no airfare, but we are scheduled the night before at the Marriott in Houston - through Princess - and have bus transfers to the port on cruise day - through Princess. We also have the Platinum Vacation Protection from Princess, which I have never needed to use before so I don't really know what it covers.

The Ship was a day late getting back to port due to weather. Those on the ship appeared to have done just fine, but those that were waiting for the ship to arrive seemed to have a rough time of it. One of the posters remarked that if you did not purchase a full package from Princess, including Air Fare, they basically left you stranded at Bayport.

Is there anyone who knows what happened to those passengers with my same situation? Did Princess keep their bus at the terminal and put the riders back on the bus and take them to a hotel after it was determined the ship was not going to make it? Does the Platinum Vacation Protection from Princess cover costs of the hotel and food with receipts?

Or if anyone has experienced anything similar to this in the past, can they share what happened?

After reading what people went through and, since my mother must eat every 3-4 hours, I will definitely be bringing a 6 pack of her Ensure in my carry on. I have traveled a great deal, by many different methods - not just cruising, so I know that being flexible and having a "go with the flow" attitude is best. However, hanging out for a day at the Bayport Terminal with my mother - :eek: Oh Dear!

If you booked your hotel and transfer through Princess, you'll be taken care of. Most likely, you'll be kept at the hotel until the ship is cleared to board passengers. You won't be left standing in the terminal. There'll be Princess reps in the hotel lobby to assist you. While more expensive to book hotel and transfer through Princess, this is one port where it makes sense.

If you booked your hotel and transfer through Princess, you'll be taken care of. Most likely, you'll be kept at the hotel until the ship is cleared to board passengers. You won't be left standing in the terminal. There'll be Princess reps in the hotel lobby to assist you. While more expensive to book hotel and transfer through Princess, this is one port where it makes sense.

Thanks Pam:)

Any Information would be greatly appreciated:

My 83 year old mother and I are scheduled for the December 6 Caribbean Princess - out of Bayport, Houston. We have done this cruise before and did not have any problems, but .... Texas weather being what it is you never know.

We are driving down from San Antonio so there is no airfare, but we are scheduled the night before at the Marriott in Houston - through Princess - and have bus transfers to the port on cruise day - through Princess. We also have the Platinum Vacation Protection from Princess, which I have never needed to use before so I don't really know what it covers.

Is there anyone who knows what happened to those passengers with my same situation? Did Princess keep their bus at the terminal and put the riders back on the bus and take them to a hotel after it was determined the ship was not going to make it? Does the Platinum Vacation Protection from Princess cover costs of the hotel and food with receipts?

After reading what people went through and, since my mother must eat every 3-4 hours, I will definitely be bringing a 6 pack of her Ensure in my carry on. I have traveled a great deal, by many different methods - not just cruising, so I know that being flexible and having a "go with the flow" attitude is best. However, hanging out for a day at the Bayport Terminal with my mother - :eek: Oh Dear!

I think people with transfers and hotels booked through Princess were taken care of by the cruise line...I read they spent last night at The Four Seasons! Independent travelers were on their own to either go back home or make their own hotel reservations. If they have insurance, either through Princess or purchased independently, the cost of the hotel and meals should be covered (depending on the policy).

I've been checking obsessively, and so far this weekend looks pretty good...on the coolish side (65), but sunny and no humidity.:D Even so, it never hurts to throw a few quick snacks like granola bars and a couple bottles of water into your carry-on.

Have cruised out of Houston the last two years and both times we have booked the Princess hotel / transfer package at the IAH Marriott. It was actually a good deal and the only times we've used their package. Last February we had been alerted the night before at check in that the ship might be delayed coming into port due to fog and that we that would not go to the port and would be kept at the hotel until the ship was in. Fortunately there was no fog and we embarked on time, but a week later the fog hit and we were delayed several hours getting back into port With the Princess package you should be all set.

Does anyone know what would happen in this situation if you had Princess transfers but not Princess air or hotel?

I, too, would like an answer to this question. I am on the CB on 1/10/16 from Bayport. I am staying one night at the IAH Marriott and taking the Princess transfer to the port. The only hotel/transfer I am aware of is the one Princess has from the Fairmount in downtown Houston. Very pricey for 3 people.

Another question is, does Princess have a hotel/transfer package from the IAH Marriott? I looked and cannot see one or should I call Princess?

Thank you for your responses.

Bill

A couple years ago, we experienced exactly that. We only had transfers. The ship was delayed by fog and we were told that boarding would be a day late. We had spent the night before in Houston so we reserved a second night. Then we got another email saying that we could board starting at 7:00 pm. We took the hotel shuttle back to the airport and it was chaos. There were Princess reps there but they were clueless. They said they had no idea when a bus would arrive or even IF a bus would arrive. All the bus drivers had gone home.

We finally said, "screw it" and took a taxi to the ship.