Princess Newbie - several question

bandp407

My DH & I ( 72 & 62 ) are seasonal cruisers who have sailed primarily on Celebrity, RCCL & HAL, as you can see in my signature. We are contemplating trying the Regal Princess next Dec for a 7 night Caribbean. One of our main reasons for moving away from Celebrity "S" class ships is the lack of dance music. It has become less and less with each cruise. Dancing is a big part of enjoyment for us when we cruise!! Rarely do we have the opportunity when not on vacation. From what I have read, Princess seems to have more in the way of live music & dance music. We have sailed Oasis & Allure several times and had a great time with great music options. HAL was pretty good too with the BB King Blue's Club Band. Celebrity is just headed in a whole different direction - for us not a nice one.

Dining - we sail in Aqua class on Celebrity which gives up the ability to dine in Blu each evening. The food has always been good and we enjoy the table for 2 in a quieter environment than the main dining room. Are there a good amount of tables for 2 on the Regal & can you make reservations in advance for the main dining room? We would be doing the my time dining/ open dining.

Horizon Court - with good weather we love having breakfast & lunch out on deck overlooking the wake. Looks like the Horizon Court has outside tables?? Any real issue getting tables out there?

Cabins - the only concern I have are the balcony sizes. Wow, yes, they look very small. We will do either a regular or deluxe balcony and prefer being near the aft stairs. The larger balconies are mid ship without the option to take the stairs which we most often do. Any suggestions here... ... If not, that may be one of the negatives which we will adjust to. Are the bathrooms and amenities the same for Deluxe and Regular balcony cabins?

The Enclave - We loved the Hydro Pool on HAL and see that Regal has one as well. Does anyone know the cost for 2 for 7 nights and how is the whole spa experience with the heated loungers, saunas, ect. ??

Beverage Package - does Princess ever offer this as an included special ?? We generally get promos on Celebrity and HAL where it is included.

At the moment I believe that is it. Hoping there are several dancers out there who can comment. Also hoping many of you have sailed "S" on Celebrity, "Oasis class" on RCCL & perhpaps "Signature" on HAL & can offer a comparison in these various areas.

In advance, many thanks for your feedback!! I can't believe I am writing this a week before we sail on the Reflection - perhaps our last Celebrity for a while. We do book our cruises early so we will need to make a decision soon for next December & cancel our Celebrity sailing.

It is only my opinion, but the newer class ships (Regal and Royal) have the least amount of dance venues than the other ships. The only place to dance on these two ships is in the Piazza on a not so smooth floor. At least on the smaller ships, you "might"....find dancing in the Wheelhouse, Explorer's Lounge, Vista Lounge, and/or Club Fusion.

It is also in my opinion...Princess is slowly eliminating dancing on its ships. Many ships are adding Gastropubs to the only really great dancing venue (Wheelhouse) on their ships. What a waste of a great place to dance.

I know Princess reads these threads (they've responded to my Facebook posts). Please do not do away with the dancing.

Dining

Princess has Anytime Dining and early & late seating Traditional Dining. With Traditional Dining you get the same table same waites each evening. Traditional Dining is in the Allergo DR, deck 6 aft, plus the Concerto DR, mid ship, deck 6, is used for additional early seating Traditional Dining. The Symphony DR will open around 5pm for ATD. My experience in the Caribbean is that the DR is mostly full by 5:45/6pm. Since it takes between 1 ½ to 2 hours to dine the second wave of tables become available around 7/7:30pm. It is usually easier to be seated at a table to share are usually than a table for two. At 7:30pm the Concerto DR will open for ATD. If you enjoy dining later you should have no problem walking in either DR on Deck 5 or 6 mid ship. On most voyages you can obtain a reservation for ATD by calling the dine line in the morning. However, reservations are only accepted for certain times, for example 5:30, 5:45, 7:30, 7:45.

Other free dining is in:

The International Café open 24/7

Alfredo’s, waiter served individual pizza and other menu items open 11am to 11pm just walk in.

Horizon Ct./Horizon Bistro/Pastry Shop buffet area, one or more sections open from 5am to midnight, never closes during that time. There are tables, as well as sofas and chairs on the Horizon Terrace for sitting and dining.

Prego Pizza, Trident Grill & soft ice cream by the lido pool.

Pub Lunch held some sea days in the Wheelhouse Bar

Surcharge Dining includes, the Crown Grill, Sabaitini’s, Crab Shack, Fondues. Reservations only on board. Call the DINE line. The Crab Shack & Fondues is held in a closed off buffet seating area.

Cabins:

About 95% of the cabins that have balconies have 9’x4’ balconies. This includes mini suites, deluxe and regular balconies. Look at the deck plans for cabins that have larger balconies. Bathroom amenities are the same in deluxe and regular balconies. Deluxe balcony cabins may have different bedding, check the Princess website.

Beverage Package

Assume you are referring to the all inclusive beverage package @$56.35/day/pp. There have been a few promos on certain cruises, but I have not seen any lately. You have to keep watching after you book for promos, they change all the time.

Dancing

On the Regal there will be ballroom dancing in the Piazza. There will also be live music in the Wheelhouse, sometimes in the Vista Lounge and in Crooners. Unfortunately, the regal lacks ‘real’ dance floors. There is a very small dance floor in the Vista Lounge, and the Piazza, while large has a marble floor.

Comment:

You may wish to consider the Caribbean Princess that will have mostly all of the above mentioned, larger balconies, and dancing every night in the Wheelhouse Bar, Explorer’s Lounge, as well as Club Fusion and at times in the Piazza.

My DH & I ( 72 & 62 ) Dining - we sail in Aqua class on Celebrity which gives up the ability to dine in Blu each evening. The food has always been good and we enjoy the table for 2 in a quieter environment than the main dining room. Are there a good amount of tables for 2 on the Regal & can you make reservations in advance for the main dining room? We would be doing the my time dining/ open dining.

Horizon Court - with good weather we love having breakfast & lunch out on deck overlooking the wake. Looks like the Horizon Court has outside tables?? Any real issue getting tables out there?

Cabins - the only concern I have are the balcony sizes. Wow, yes, they look very small. We will do either a regular or deluxe balcony and prefer being near the aft stairs. The larger balconies are mid ship without the option to take the stairs which we most often do. Any suggestions here... ... If not, that may be one of the negatives which we will adjust to. Are the bathrooms and amenities the same for Deluxe and Regular balcony cabins?

Beverage Package - does Princess ever offer this as an included special ?? We generally get promos on Celebrity and HAL where it is included.

In advance, many thanks for your feedback!! I can't believe I am writing this a week before we sail on the Reflection - perhaps our last Celebrity for a while. We do book our cruises early so we will need to make a decision soon for next December & cancel our Celebrity sailing.

Can't comment on the dancing except to note that we saw quite a few couples dancing in the Piazza several times. Not a dancer and can't say whether they enjoyed it.

On every Princess ship we've been on, we've not had any issues with tables outside the Horizon Court. Most people don't seem to know they're there. One issue, sometimes that area is a smoking area. Not sure if this is the case on Regal but it was on Caribbean Princess.

The balconies are ridiculously small. I've seen various estimates that they are either 40 or 48 inches in depth depending on how you make the measurement. Some have stated they have no issues. Others have said they were unable to sit in the chairs while facing the sea. I believe Princess designed these balconies because their are so many who say they hardly use the balconies so the size is immaterial.

There are some premium deluxe balconies on the aft. Some have reported excessive soot. We did not find it to be an issue. If you want any kind of shade, you'll need to select a room on Riviera or Dolphin. In our opinion, we will not book Regal/Royal except in an Owners suite. They do have adequate sized balconies but they are expensive.

I've not seen Princess offer any beverage packages similar to 1/2/3 Go. But, most of those on the Celebrity boards insist that such beverage packages do not save money since the cruise lines inflate the fares to cover the packages.

I think the amenities are the same for all balcony cabins.

Dining

Princess has Anytime Dining and early & late seating Traditional Dining. With Traditional Dining you get the same table same waites each evening. Traditional Dining is in the Allergo DR, deck 6 aft, plus the Concerto DR, mid ship, deck 6, is used for additional early seating Traditional Dining. The Symphony DR will open around 5pm for ATD. My experience in the Caribbean is that the DR is mostly full by 5:45/6pm. Since it takes between 1 ½ to 2 hours to dine the second wave of tables become available around 7/7:30pm. It is usually easier to be seated at a table to share are usually than a table for two. At 7:30pm the Concerto DR will open for ATD. If you enjoy dining later you should have no problem walking in either DR on Deck 5 or 6 mid ship. On most voyages you can obtain a reservation for ATD by calling the dine line in the morning. However, reservations are only accepted for certain times, for example 5:30, 5:45, 7:30, 7:45.

Other free dining is in:

The International Café open 24/7

Alfredo’s, waiter served individual pizza and other menu items open 11am to 11pm just walk in.

Horizon Ct./Horizon Bistro/Pastry Shop buffet area, one or more sections open from 5am to midnight, never closes during that time. There are tables, as well as sofas and chairs on the Horizon Terrace for sitting and dining.

Prego Pizza, Trident Grill & soft ice cream by the lido pool.

Pub Lunch held some sea days in the Wheelhouse Bar

Surcharge Dining includes, the Crown Grill, Sabaitini’s, Crab Shack, Fondues. Reservations only on board. Call the DINE line. The Crab Shack & Fondues is held in a closed off buffet seating area.

Cabins:

About 95% of the cabins that have balconies have 9’x4’ balconies. This includes mini suites, deluxe and regular balconies. Look at the deck plans for cabins that have larger balconies. Bathroom amenities are the same in deluxe and regular balconies. Deluxe balcony cabins may have different bedding, check the Princess website.

Beverage Package

Assume you are referring to the all inclusive beverage package @$56.35/day/pp. There have been a few promos on certain cruises, but I have not seen any lately. You have to keep watching after you book for promos, they change all the time.

Dancing

On the Regal there will be ballroom dancing in the Piazza. There will also be live music in the Wheelhouse, sometimes in the Vista Lounge and in Crooners. Unfortunately, the regal lacks ‘real’ dance floors. There is a very small dance floor in the Vista Lounge, and the Piazza, while large has a marble floor.

Comment:

You may wish to consider the Caribbean Princess that will have mostly all of the above mentioned, larger balconies, and dancing every night in the Wheelhouse Bar, Explorer’s Lounge, as well as Club Fusion and at times in the Piazza.

Thank you very much sknight - great recap. Depending upon the show schedule -some of which we do not even go to - we generally like to have dinner around 7-7:30 , so does not sound like much of an issue. Sounds like more dancing options than Celebrity at this point!

Yes, the beverage package I am referring to is the all inclusive. Yes, sometimes the rates are jacked up , but often they are a great deal. Thanks again!

Can't comment on the dancing except to note that we saw quite a few couples dancing in the Piazza several times. Not a dancer and can't say whether they enjoyed it.

On every Princess ship we've been on, we've not had any issues with tables outside the Horizon Court. Most people don't seem to know they're there. One issue, sometimes that area is a smoking area. Not sure if this is the case on Regal but it was on Caribbean Princess.

The balconies are ridiculously small. I've seen various estimates that they are either 40 or 48 inches in depth depending on how you make the measurement. Some have stated they have no issues. Others have said they were unable to sit in the chairs while facing the sea. I believe Princess designed these balconies because their are so many who say they hardly use the balconies so the size is immaterial.

There are some premium deluxe balconies on the aft. Some have reported excessive soot. We did not find it to be an issue. If you want any kind of shade, you'll need to select a room on Riviera or Dolphin. In our opinion, we will not book Regal/Royal except in an Owners suite. They do have adequate sized balconies but they are expensive.

I've not seen Princess offer any beverage packages similar to 1/2/3 Go. But, most of those on the Celebrity boards insist that such beverage packages do not save money since the cruise lines inflate the fares to cover the packages.

I think the amenities are the same for all balcony cabins.

Thank you Rocketman275. A suite is not an option for us, unfortunately. Yes, I am referring to the 123/Go or similar. Agreed, sometimes the rates are inflated but often a good deal. Currently the pricing I am looking at for Regal next year, is not much less than Celebrity with the inclusions. We shall see. This is great information. Thanks much!

I haven't been on the Regal. On the ships we've been on (most recently the Golden and the Island), there are tables outside the Horizon on both sides -- by one of the big pools. One side is smoking, the other nonsmoking. The tables may be in use at the busier times -- say around noon. But I have often been able to find an unused table that I can sit and eat at if I wanted to listen to the movie outside. There's a pizzeria and grill (hubby loves the chicken sandwiches) on many of the ships by the outside pool.

The International Cafe mentioned above is not an enclosed eatery, just to let you know. It's a set of display cases, usually in the Piazza, which is midships on the Plaza level in the Grand Atrium. You walk up to the counter (there could be a small line -- but sometimes it's just a few people or none at all) and say which items you want. You'll get your plates which you can take just about anywhere (your cabin, a lounge, the pool area, or you may find an available table there at which you can enjoy the live music playing there or whatever variety acts are going on). There's also a counter that you can buy specialty coffees.

It's a great place to get some yummy snacks, a light meal, a 3am quenching of the hunger pangs -- it's open 24/7. I love the chocolate chip cookies.

Princess had the beverage package included for balcony cabins and higher towards the tail end of the summer on certain sailings - my 10 day for November 2016 was one of the included cruises. The cruise price was great; we are on the Royal and were on a similar route this past year and the pricing never got anywhere NEAR what we are paying, and is now several hundred dollars higher per person. We didn't drink too excessively on our last cruise, but since we are going for our honeymoon and we were weighing a cruise versus an all inclusive resort, Princess offering the package really helped convince us that the time was perfect to sail! My fiance has never sailed in a balcony before either, so that will be cool for him (even if the balconies are small).

You shouldn't have any trouble getting a table outside the HC aft for breakfast/lunch as your stated preference from Celebrity experience. We were recently on Regal and looked forward to using this area as it is not the same on the previous generation of ships.

There is no smoking there, so no worries about spoiling your meal. (Another poster might have been thinking of previous generation where some port side tables on Lido - forward of the HC - did allow smoking (if not changed).

Regal/Royal have some smoking areas in the aft section of Deck 17, above the HC. You can read about the smoking areas for each ship and it's also made very clear in the Patters once you are on board.

On the Regal Princess there is no smoking on the Horizon Terrace which is very large. The smoking area is on deck 17. The Caribbean Princess has a smaller, but adequate sized Horizon Terrace. Smoking is allowed at the tables on the port side, with the starboard side smoke free. As someone that has never smoked, I have not found smoke in this area to be an issue.

We just want to have a good time!! Good music gets all ages up dancing !

If it is dancing you like again would suggest the Caribbean Princess over the Regal Princess, with dancing to live music all evening in the Wheelhouse Bar, Explorer’s Lounge, Club Fusion in addition to some events in the Piazza area and late night DJ dancing in Skywalker’s. The Wheelhouse has ballroom dancing, fox trot, Latin, waltz, swing, etc. Club Fusion and Explorer’s has more pop music, rock, C&W, and so on. There may also be some big band hours. You have to watch the Princess Patter for band times and locations.