Baltimore port to BWI flight time

Does anyone know what time we would be off the ship (Grandeur of the Seas) and be able to make it to BWI for a flight? There is a 10am and 11am flight out of BWI that would be perfect. Is that too early of a flight? Should I play it safe and book the 5pm one? Thanks, Steve

Do you plan to carry your own luggage off the ship? If so you should be off the ship in the 7:30-8:00 am time frame. We have sailed from there many times.

The airport is about a 20 minute ride away. However, it can be longer during the morning weekday rush hour.

If it were me I would go for the 11 am if the next option is 5pm. [would worrying about this ruin your cruise?] Only you can tell what would be best for you. Having said that--the Baltimore Inner Harbor is a fun place to visit. Have you done that?

Here is a East Coast departure message board. You will likely find more answers. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=415

You SHOULD be fine with an 11am flight time... If you carry your own stuff off it is usually quite fast.

There isn't much of a line from the ship at the airport either - its not like Ft. Lauderdale or Miami where thousands are flying home at the same time. The vast majority of Grandeur passengers drive to the port and live in the area.

We made a 10:15 flight out of BWI on the Sunday after Thanksgiving. We did the self walkoff, jumped in a cab, checked our bags at the curb and were at the gate by 8:30. I think the key is getting off as soon as you can before the immigration gets backed up and checking bags at the curb so you don't have to wait in the counter line.

Good luck.

Does anyone know what time we would be off the ship (Grandeur of the Seas) and be able to make it to BWI for a flight? There is a 10am and 11am flight out of BWI that would be perfect. Is that too early of a flight? Should I play it safe and book the 5pm one? Thanks, Steve[/]

My son had an 11:00 a.m flight out of BWI which would have been fine but we hit a nasty storm on the way back to Baltimore and the ship was delayed getting into port. If you do dock on time and self carry your luggage you should be O.K. with 11:00 a.m. I would not recommend 10:00 a.m. you'd be cutting it close.

We just got off the Grandeur on Wednesday. We did the carry off. We were off the ship, back to the hotel for our car, stopped for breakfast, drove an hour and a half home and were home by 10:00. I think you should be fine with the 11 AM flight. The Grandeur activities staff have their act together with the debarkation process. I would suggest getting down to the 4th floor Centrum by 6:45 though. The line starts to get very long from that point on.

When is your cruise? That could make a huge difference depending on time of year. Not sure how bad Baltimore gets hit during the winter with snow, but if it's during winter, it could delay you to getting to the airport. The ship may arrive on time, but if it's during a snow storm, you could be sitting in traffic and miss your flight. I would definitely take the later flight if you are cruising during the winter months.

Are you flying Southwest? If so, they are now using three terminals (A, B and C). So if you arrive at one and the lines are prohibitively long, consider checking another terminal.

BWI used to be my home airport and I still fly in and and out of there a couple of times a year (and through there many more).