Cruise Insurance

firefighter15

the best advice about whether to get insurance or not is the following: can I afford or will I not mind losing all pre paid expenses such as cruise, air, hotel (maybe), or maybe missing the ship because of whether and having to get yourself to the next port on your own. If you don't mind any of the previous do not buy, if you do then buy

My cruise leaves Feb 29th. I have been thinking allot about weather delaying our flight as we booked it for the same day (we fly in to miami at 1030am).

Does anyone recommend getting travel insurance just in case or should we roll the dice?

We always take insurance.

insure my trip dot com is great for insurance, you enter the total dollar figure you want insurance for and they price it out that way, the dollar figure should cover, ship, air, hotel, meals etc that you want insurance for and you can compare many policies

My cruise leaves Feb 29th. I have been thinking allot about weather delaying our flight as we booked it for the same day (we fly in to miami at 1030am).

Does anyone recommend getting travel insurance just in case or should we roll the dice?

Actually you have been thinking ALOT... :D

Travel insurance is pretty much of question of whether you can afford to eat the cost of anything that might happen along the way causing you to lose money. Flying in the same day is risky. You pretty much have to plan a minimum of 1½ hours from the scheduled landing time for getting to the pier. I would not do that especially during winter months.

Travel insurance is pretty much of question of whether you can afford to eat the cost of anything that might happen along the way causing you to lose money. Flying in the same day is risky. You pretty much have to plan a minimum of 1½ hours from the scheduled landing time for getting to the pier. I would not do that especially during winter months.

Insurance covers A LOT of things - we always purchase it when we cruise.

Yeah i wish i had decided to fly in the day before, and thanks for the spelling lesson ;)

If we are leaving the US we always get insurance. We are more concerned about a medical emergency abroad than the cost of the trip (although the that is important too). My niece needed medical care in the Dominican Republic and my sister-in-law was reimbursed quickly and easily through her travel insurance. That was something small and the insurance paid for itself. It is such a small cost for peace of mind.

We roll the dice and play the odds of the large numbers. I'm sure bad stuff happens to good people, but what is possible is not necessarily probable.

I might rethink our approach if we were high risk due to pre-existing conditions or frailty of health. For longer, higher cost cruises, we go in the day before in case there are problems. For cheaper cruises, we avoid flying in day of during the winter months ... if we can.

I suggest the insurance! Was on a cruise in October and came down with bronchitis. The infirmary bill was $800+ and my health insurance only covered $200. The travel insurance will pick up the balance.

We always take travel insurance for the whole year and worldwide; we travel a lot and would hate to have a medical problem anywhere outside New Zealand, where we live, and the UK, where we were born and still have the nationality. And we always plan to arrive at least one day before the cruise leaves.

Mike

I suggest the insurance! Was on a cruise in October and came down with bronchitis. The infirmary bill was $800+ and my health insurance only covered $200. The travel insurance will pick up the balance.

Yes! My infirmary bill was $2000 for pneumonia, then I was ordered off the ship and taken by ambulance to he local hospital.

I don't have a clue what that cost. Not only did the insurance cover 100% of the hospital bill! they took care of the language barrier and all the paperwork.

Sucking up the cost of the cruise is one thing, preparing for medical emergencies is quite another.

Depending upon when you made your first deposit, and when final/full payment is due (and a few other factors), some insurance choices may no longer be available.

But some probably still are.

You might also want to post this on the Trip Insurance sub-forum of CruiseCritic:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=635

And for future use, you may want to browse there occasionally to learn from the experiences of others.

We use TripInsuranceStore.com

But we always *call* them, rather than relying upon the policy summaries on their website.

In addition to the fact that there is important "fine print" that would take up too much space in those summaries, there are a couple of policies that aren't shown.

If you call them, they'll explain what types of policies are still available to you (again, dependent upon when you made the first deposit, etc.), and what the pros/cons are of different choices.

As others have mentioned, we strongly urge that at a minimum, you make sure you have satisfactory coverage for medical emergencies.

This could be from your own regular health insurance, or as all or part of travel insurance.

GeezerCouple

I am not concerned about insuring the cost of the cruise but the medical is important, as well as evacuation. Any experience with AMEX travel insurance. Thanks

You'll get far more information if you post this in the Travel Insurance section (as mentioned directly above).

See link immediately below.

You can ask there about specific like Amex (if they still offer it; two years ago, they had stopped; no idea of current status), plus lots of other comparisons.

There will be travelers there from all of the cruise lines (and some who aren't cruising at all), with combined greater experience and knowledge than restricting your inquiry to those cruising on NCL:

Depending upon when you made your first deposit, and when final/full payment is due (and a few other factors), some insurance choices may no longer be available.

But some probably still are.

You might also want to post this on the Trip Insurance sub-forum of CruiseCritic:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=635

And for future use, you may want to browse there occasionally to learn from the experiences of others.

We use TripInsuranceStore.com

But we always *call* them, rather than relying upon the policy summaries on their website.

In addition to the fact that there is important "fine print" that would take up too much space in those summaries, there are a couple of policies that aren't shown.

If you call them, they'll explain what types of policies are still available to you (again, dependent upon when you made the first deposit, etc.), and what the pros/cons are of different choices.

As others have mentioned, we strongly urge that at a minimum, you make sure you have satisfactory coverage for medical emergencies.

This could be from your own regular health insurance, or as all or part of travel insurance.

GeezerCouple

We have been cruising for years and have purchased "Cruise Line" insurance as well as Travel Guard insurance on almost all cruises.

I discovered not long ago (thru my "cruise agent") that most Credit Cards provide travel insurance...I use a World Points MasterCard and it has travel insurance, if the entire trip is charged on the card, being it's a NCL card we get points for the charge, the trip we have coming up we took a $150 off:D being we had 15000 points...The insurance on this "upcoming cruise" was to run $169 each, so that's $338 off the cruise so we saved about $500.00:D

The key with the credit card insurance is that it is for a "dollar amount", meaning the insurance pays $1500 for each paying person on the trip for "cancelation" and $500 for trip "interruption". So the insurance is not good:( for a person or family purchasing a Owner's suite or Haven or more expensive room, but as for a balcony or inside or ocean view where the Stateroom is $1500 each for two people, it's a no-brainer.:eek: And the Trip Interruption part will pay for the transfer breaking down, or loss of luggage, or other "interruption" the insurance pays $500 each.

You need to research this yourself don't just take my word for it...

Groovers,

Where would I get further information about the insurance included with the NCL MC? I signed into B of A and looked at my NCL MC, but didn't see anything under the "Information & Services" tab. Is it in fine print in the cardholder agreement?, which of course I don't have...

The beauty of buying last minute cruises is that you know you are going, so all that' needed is some medical insurance like Geo Blue.

Groovers,

Where would I get further information about the insurance included with the NCL MC? I signed into B of A and looked at my NCL MC, but didn't see anything under the "Information & Services" tab. Is it in fine print in the cardholder agreement?, which of course I don't have...

The beauty of buying last minute cruises is that you know you are going, so all that' needed is some medical insurance like Geo Blue.

You need to call the World Points benefits department. Get a copy of the Cardmember Benefits Guide mailed to you, it is listed under

"Common Carrier Travel Accident Insurance"

"Trip Cancellation/Trip Interruption"

"Trip Delay Reimbursement"

We have been cruising for years and have purchased "Cruise Line" insurance as well as Travel Guard insurance on almost all cruises.

I discovered not long ago (thru my "cruise agent") that most Credit Cards provide travel insurance...I use a World Points MasterCard and it has travel insurance, if the entire trip is charged on the card, being it's a NCL card we get points for the charge, the trip we have coming up we took a $150 off:D being we had 15000 points...The insurance on this "upcoming cruise" was to run $169 each, so that's $338 off the cruise so we saved about $500.00:D

The key with the credit card insurance is that it is for a "dollar amount", meaning the insurance pays $1500 for each paying person on the trip for "cancelation" and $500 for trip "interruption". So the insurance is not good:( for a person or family purchasing a Owner's suite or Haven or more expensive room, but as for a balcony or inside or ocean view where the Stateroom is $1500 each for two people, it's a no-brainer.:eek: And the Trip Interruption part will pay for the transfer breaking down, or loss of luggage, or other "interruption" the insurance pays $500 each.

You need to research this yourself don't just take my word for it...

That may be well and good, but does it also cover some form of medical insurance, in the event you were to suffer a medical emergency? A medical emergency could well cost several thousand dollars.