Has FDR done anything to benefit cruisers?

CruiserRob

We laugh, but they are a massive demographic that will inevitably take over the economy as time passes us by. There are a lot of people in this industry who believe millennials will be the key to further expansion. They could be the next "bread and butter" consumers for mass market cruising within the not so distant future. Adapt or lose out.

We laugh, but they are a massive demographic that will inevitably take over the economy as time passes us by. There are a lot of people in this industry who believe millennials will be the key to further expansion. They could be the next "bread and butter" consumers for mass market cruising within the not so distant future. Adapt or lose out.

NCL's got a lot of adapting to do with their internet. That won't fly with the millennials. Free, powerful wifi would be enough reason for them all to flock to NCL

Edited by SuiteCruiser

Seems like a very large gamble to me, but again I'm not an insider and am not privy to all of the market studies, etc.

NCL's got a lot of adapting to do with their internet. That won't fly with the millennials. Free, powerful wifi would be enough reason for them all to flock to NCL

RCI beat everyone to the punch. VROOM is cheaper (free on some ships in the future) and offers broadband speeds.

You are correct and in the spirit of this discussion all the old goats (myself included, sort of :)) should remember that millennials are pretty loose as a group with their purse strings and are already conditioned to spend without questioning and accept changes. Change comes quick and easily for them.

As Bob Dylan sang "these times they are a-changin".

Parents sail free? (so they can help ensure that any difficulty their little millennial might encounter, is resolved?)

Cell phone charging ports by the pool deck.

More shaded areas so you can read your ipad.

Stephen

How about a special Ncl app so the millennials can start a "let's change this or that " protest or start a "go fund me page" for the crew's families back home. Lol

As the parent of several millennials I can tell you my 25 yo is as cheap as nails

Although she is fortunate to have zero school loans and is totally self supporting she is one of those funded fellowship types at the moment so her real money is still a few years off

But I digress as I am very proud of her...

Anyway from 1st hand knowledge many millennials are bogged down with loans...still perusing PhDs and law degrees and are very savvy with couponing and sites such as ebates and Groupon

Oh and the several that I know are not fond of home ownership either as they expect to move around the country for job opportunities etc nor can they handle the responsibility of home ownership on entry level salaries that eventually increase...but so do the hours they work.

Yes I know there are exceptions but I'm thinking that millennials are going to take a long time to make it...whereas the baby boomers...me...were overpaid by age 25...lol....bmw...and Rolex and Gucci were my favorite words....they like the words...ebates and Groupon...they look for bargains not splurges

Of course they are also putting off parenthood...possibly permanently too and that's sad for society...but good I guess for the new upscale Ncl

Families usually shy away from upscale lines but I guess a 40 yo DINK might not

My thinking is that millennials cannot quite be defined yet as we don't know what they might do

It's easy to talk about baby boomers because we have hard and fast data which we have yet to get for the millennials.....remember many of them are still in high school. Lol

As the parent of several millennials I can tell you my 25 yo is as cheap as nails

Although she is fortunate to have zero school loans and is totally self supporting she is one of those funded fellowship types at the moment so her real money is still a few years off

But I digress as I am very proud of her...

Anyway from 1st hand knowledge many millennials are bogged down with loans...still perusing PhDs and law degrees and are very savvy with couponing and sites such as ebates and Groupon

Oh and the several that I know are not fond of home ownership either as they expect to move around the country for job opportunities etc nor can they handle the responsibility of home ownership on entry level salaries that eventually increase...but so do the hours they work.

Yes I know there are exceptions but I'm thinking that millennials are going to take a long time to make it...whereas the baby boomers...me...were overpaid by age 25...lol....bmw...and Rolex and Gucci were my favorite words....they like the words...ebates and Groupon...they look for bargains not splurges

Of course they are also putting off parenthood...possibly permanently too and that's sad for society...but good I guess for the new upscale Ncl

Families usually shy away from upscale lines but I guess a 40 yo DINK might not

My thinking is that millennials cannot quite be defined yet as we don't know what they might do

It's easy to talk about baby boomers because we have hard and fast data which we have yet to get for the millennials.....remember many of them are still in high school. Lol

I'm guessing my son is one of those. Born in 1991 went to college on a full scholarship to play football was an u drafted free agent on the Redskins and now out in the real world (well working for daddy and socking away so much money) it amazes me how much him and his girlfriend have saved in the past year. And talk about cheap yeah that's them lol althoguh he bought 6 $200 jets game tickets for his dad and Future father in law and 2 others for Christmas so that was a pretty penny. I have no idea how they have managed to save what they have. I have gotten them the cruise bug and took them on 2 already. I do see more in their future but those will be on them. I'm So proud of him

Geri

I'm guessing my son is one of those. Born in 1991 went to college on a full scholarship to play football was an u drafted free agent on the Redskins and now out in the real world (well working for daddy and socking away so much money) it amazes me how much him and his girlfriend have saved in the past year. And talk about cheap yeah that's them lol althoguh he bought 6 $200 jets game tickets for his dad and Future father in law and 2 others for Christmas so that was a pretty penny. I have no idea how they have managed to save what they have. I have gotten them the cruise bug and took them on 2 already. I do see more in their future but those will be on them. I'm So proud of him

Geri

...."college on a full scholarship", "working for daddy" (who also paid for two cruise vacations...etc.). With all that propping up, sounds like this millennial has not yet seen the "real world". Best of Luck to him.

Sent from Rick's iPad using Tapatalk

Geri

Oh don't get me wrong Geri....my 25 yo is loaded and has a small fortune in the bank as do my other kids....

But...they still won't pay more than they have to and only want insides and quite frankly they get that from me....as far as cruising you already know from my posts that I dislike balconies and truly do not ever want a butler or concierge. As for travel....give me 2 or 3 cruises in an inside versus 1 in the haven.

However I asked if they wanted to upgrade on our Jan 2 cruise or if they wanted an amenity or 2...answer....no...as they are paying their own way but I would have covered the upgrade ...but still no. As a matter of fact they cringed when I offered. Lol

So my point is that not all millennials are going to be free with their funds even though they certainly do have it

Ncl better be sure this demographic is asfree spending as the boomers before they put all their marketing toward them.

...."college on a full scholarship", "working for daddy" (who also paid for two cruise vacations...etc.). With all that propping up, sounds like this millennial has not yet seen the "real world". Best of Luck to him.

Sent from Rick's iPad using Tapatalk

Funny thing is my 3 older kids....the cheapskates....have zero college loans....got plenty of scholarships etc....work 2 and 3 jobs when able....and of course will never be in dire straights as I won't let that happen to them....

Still are so frugal!!!! Maybe it's because I always sat them down when I was paying our portions of their tuitions and explaining exactly how I was doing it.....oh and they always press the button for payment. Lol.

I also always make them kick in towards family trips....maybe only a few hundred dollars but they have it so they are kicking in period

For our last Europe trip the total tab for 6 was about $25000 and each of them kicked in $500. No argument either which surprised me

Disneyworld....$300 each

Yes I'm a stern taskmaster and yes my kids are very well adjusted and our family is as dis functional as everyone else's. Lol

RCI beat everyone to the punch. VROOM is cheaper (free on some ships in the future) and offers broadband speeds.

Yes, and NCL has the slowest most expensive internet at sea.

Seems like they are going on the wrong direction.

Yes, and NCL has the slowest most expensive internet at sea.

Seems like they are going on the wrong direction.

No, Oceania is more expensive and no faster. Not sure how RCI does it; satellite is satellite and bandwidth is bandwidth, and both are the limiting factors for every ship, unless thy can uncoil thousands of miles of fiber optic.

No, Oceania is more expensive and no faster. Not sure how RCI does it; satellite is satellite and bandwidth is bandwidth, and both are the limiting factors for every ship, unless thy can uncoil thousands of miles of fiber optic.

I was compare

ingto main stream lines. I don't know anything about Oceania or other high end lines.

The technology for satellite internet has improved a lot over the last few years but NCL has not adopted the faster newer technology.

RCI contracts with O3B for their VROOM internet service. O3B uses low orbit satellites that greatly reduce the distance that the signal needs to travel, which results in a much faster connection. You can do live streaming over Skype and FaceTime just as if you were on land.

O3B is out of reach for corporations with fewer resources like NCLH. They just can't afford it.

It's not just a matter of cash. O3B until recently only had 2 or 3 satellites in the NoAm market, and RCCL contracted all available space on them. You could have all the cash in the world, there's nothing to buy. The last SpaceX mission deployed some new sats for O3B but no idea how those are contracted (or if they are already).

RCI contracts with O3B for their VROOM internet service. O3B uses low orbit satellites that greatly reduce the distance that the signal needs to travel, which results in a much faster connection. You can do live streaming over Skype and FaceTime just as if you were on land.

O3B is out of reach for corporations with fewer resources like NCLH. They just can't afford it.

It's not just a matter of cash. O3B until recently only had 2 or 3 satellites in the NoAm market, and RCCL contracted all available space on them. You could have all the cash in the world, there's nothing to buy. The last SpaceX mission deployed some new sats for O3B but no idea how those are contracted (or if they are already).

Yes...but even when availability was/is available, NCLH is out of the running.

Satellite capacity can change relatively quickly, but NCLH will be dealing with fewer resources for many years to come. Not to mention that they'll soon be pushed to #4 behind MSC.

Edited by barnacle_boy

Surprised no one has mentioned Dream Quest, the Saturday morning (11:30 AM EST on CW) tv show about life long dreams granted on an NCL cruise ship. In a few hours a young girl will achieve her dream by singing Fight Song before a live audience. This show is 100% FDR, just started this fall. And it is free!