Do you think HAL will cruise to Cuba?

kevingastreich

Actually, I’m not afraid of any name…anyone or anything. What I am concerned about is the current Cuban government’s motive…do I think they are honest and trustworthy…. No.

I believe, without being too political ….our current elected government officials are only interested in obtaining vintage cars (LOL) …I remember what happened way back….do you?

I’m proud to be an American... I lived through it, but will I travel to Cuba anytime soon…NO.

You all can say whatever you want on this post, I’m not going to comment again on this subject matter again.

Happy Holidays!

LOL. How far back in history do you go in your travel planning? Is Canada on your blacklist (1812)? I'm being lighthearted here, not nasty. :D:D

Edited by sapper1

AHOY SHIPMATE,

DO YOU REALLY THINK ANY CRUISE LINE WILL WAIT UNTIL THE FOLLOWING YEAR (schedule) to start sending ships to Havana once it opens?

No, I do not think they will wait.

I think there will be a mad rush as soon as the infrastructure can handle thousands of cruise ship herds unloading in Havana.

I expect they have been 'idly doodling' on their big yellow pads of paper with variations of what sort of itineraries they want and all the details for a long time.

It is irresistible for cruises sailing from FLL, Tampa, Miami etc Think how little fuel they'll need to burn if they stay round and about Eastern Caribbean.

As has Diamonds International and the like. :)

Edited by sail7seas

No, I do not think they will wait.

I think there will be a mad rush as soon as the infrastructure can handle thousands of cruise ship herds unloading in Havana.

I expect they have been 'idly doodling' on their big yellow pads of paper with variations of what sort of itineraries they want and all the details for a long time.

It is irresistible for cruises sailing from FLL, Tampa, Miami etc Think how little fuel they'll need to burn if they stay round and about Eastern Caribbean.

As has Diamonds International and the like. :)

They'll need more than infrastructure. According to current US law, a cruise ship that has visited a Cuban port is usually banned from US ports for many months (maybe a year, I don't know the exact duration). So until there's a change in the law, cruises will still have to operate under only under the weird exceptions (cultural, sports, etc), and I don't think the major cruise lines will want to devote ships to Caribbean cruising while those ships are banned from US ports.

Edited by Blue Mudshark

All that seems to be on the fast track to being accomplished.

Sailing to Cuba for a closed loop cruise will be the same as all the other closed loop cruises now being sailed.

Seeing airlines have now been granted the go ahead for direct flights, cruise ships are sure to follow. Until now, only charter flights were permitted.

Edited by sail7seas

Last summer we were on HAL in Iceland/Norway. One of the officers said that HAL would likely be among the first to add Cuba ports. It is considered a golden opportunity, because they will not be able to handle the huge ships that other lines have for a few years.

To me it will not make a difference. I have been there and the only way to experience the real Cuba is on a land trip and to spend several days in each city. A HAL trip pr any other cruise ship visit to Cuba will mean that you run off the ship, run around each each city so that you can see all of it on your daily cruise stop, maybe run back to the ship for lunch because you have already paid for lunch on the ship, and then run back for dinner.

I spent 2 weeks on land in Cuba and believe me, it was a completely different experience than what the ship passengers will experience. My only hope that Cuba does not become the equivalent of one of the awful tourist driven Caribbean islands.

DON

One big PROBLEM

AHOY SHIPMATE,

DO YOU REALLY THINK ANY CRUISE LINE WILL WAIT UNTIL THE FOLLOWING YEAR (schedule) to start sending ships to Havana once it opens?

One BIG PROBLEM .... There are no ports that can presently handle any thing other than small ships Going to take a little time before most major lines get to put Cuba of their list of Ports of Call.

One BIG PROBLEM .... There are no ports that can presently handle any thing other than small ships Going to take a little time before most major lines get to put Cuba of their list of Ports of Call.

That can be said for a lot of ports.

Is there any reason tendering would be out of the question? :confused:

One big PROBLEM

Well, Yes and No, MSC Cruises has no issues getting MSC Opera at 65,000 GRT into Havana. Although she's smaller, Cyprus based Celestial Cruises does the same with Celestial Crystal, the former NCL Leeward

Never happen until the U.S. eliminates the requirements for travel to Cuba. Sure you can go now if your trip falls into one of the 12 programs approved by the Dept. of The Treasury and you participate in those daily programs.

So, if a cruise ship enters Cuba EVERY U.S. citizen on the ship must participate in those approved programs every day or be in violation of the law.

bosco

Can you imagine the joy of a Cuban cigar while sipping a cognac on my HAL veranda.

Can't you do that now? Cuban cigars are readily available for sale in many places outside of Cuba. The US embargo is not in effect in places such as Jamaica, St. Martin, Mexico, or any other place outside the US and its territories.

But beware; fakes can be more common than the real thing. The Casa del Habano chain sells the real thing in many cruise destinations, including such places as Falmouth and Marigot.

Can't you do that now? Cuban cigars are readily available for sale in many places outside of Cuba. The US embargo is not in effect in places such as Jamaica, St. Martin, Mexico, or any other place outside the US and its territories.

But beware; fakes can be more common than the real thing. The Casa del Habano chain sells the real thing in many cruise destinations, including such places as Falmouth and Marigot.[/QUOT

I was/am aware of both of your points. Just teasing a little given the veranda smoking issue. All in good fun, I hope.

To me it will not make a difference. I have been there and the only way to experience the real Cuba is on a land trip and to spend several days in each city. A HAL trip pr any other cruise ship visit to Cuba will mean that you run off the ship, run around each each city so that you can see all of it on your daily cruise stop, maybe run back to the ship for lunch because you have already paid for lunch on the ship, and then run back for dinner.

I spent 2 weeks on land in Cuba and believe me, it was a completely different experience than what the ship passengers will experience. My only hope that Cuba does not become the equivalent of one of the awful tourist driven Caribbean islands.

DON

Why do you think this is unique to Cuba? One of the reasons we love cruising is exactly because you spent just a bit of time in a part - enough to let us know whether or not we wish to return for a longer stay. Cuba is no different.

Why do you think this is unique to Cuba? One of the reasons we love cruising is exactly because you spent just a bit of time in a part - enough to let us know whether or not we wish to return for a longer stay. Cuba is no different.

You are so right. We love the Caribbean and have been cruising there for the last 15 years. We love the weather in particular but also find something new to see or do at almost every port we visit. When we find a place that we don't enjoy we skip it for a year or two to see if things have changed to our liking. Cuba besides being a "new" port of call is enormous and can offer something new on each vist for years to come.

As for it being taken over by big business I do not think that can be totally avoided, however cruise ship tourism will go a long way in slowing it down. A cruise ship provides the hotel for visitors eliminating the expense of the 100% Government Owned and Operated Hotels or foreign owned with heavy profit percentages going to the Castro Government. Sure, port fees and such will go to the Govt. but more will go to the blossoming private sector for meals, entertainment and hundreds of other local services and products on the tourist's menu.

I am sure the hotel industry lobbyists are out with their cans of grease looking for a few palms in the Treasury Dept. LOL

bosco

Never happen until the U.S. eliminates the requirements for travel to Cuba. Sure you can go now if your trip falls into one of the 12 programs approved by the Dept. of The Treasury and you participate in those daily programs.

So, if a cruise ship enters Cuba EVERY U.S. citizen on the ship must participate in those approved programs every day or be in violation of the law.

bosco

And there it is! Thanks!

But beware; fakes can be more common than the real thing. The Casa del Habano chain sells the real thing in many cruise destinations, including such places as Falmouth and Marigot.

I may be wrong but I believe that although you may be able to purchase Cuban cigars outside of Cuba, you can not bring them back into the US even though they were purchased outside of Cuba. This is obviously a hard thing to enforce but that is what the law says.

DON

^^ This.

I also suspect there might be some overnights in Havana harbor.

I truly feel with the speed Cuba has been opening in the last year or two, it is only a matter of time until it will be free and open travel for all of us. All part of the current Guantanamo process IMO

Why would there have been announcement commercial airlines can run scheduled flights if the 'powers' don't intend/expect to open full and open travel soon? There are already so many categories that qualify.

^^ This.

I also suspect there might be some overnights in Havana harbor.

I truly feel with the speed Cuba has been opening in the last year or two, it is only a matter of time until it will be free and open travel for all of us. All part of the current Guantanamo process IMO

Why would there have been announcement commercial airlines can run scheduled flights if the 'powers' don't intend/expect to open full and open travel soon? There are already so many categories that qualify.

The current administration is in favor of opening things up. That could change drastically after the next election, especially if one of the two Cuban-Americans that is running becomes president. Cuban Americans overwhelmingly oppose normalizing relations with Cuba.

It is more than a year until Inauguration of our New President, whomever that will be. They can have Cuba wide open by then.... easily. Once the agreements are made, whatever happens to Guantanamo is done, and travel has been opened, it is very hard to think of that being reversed.

I don't wish to get into my opinions if they should or should not do whatever but I think they will.

It is more than a year until Inauguration of our New President, whomever that will be. They can have Cuba wide open by then.... easily. Once the agreements are made, whatever happens to Guantanamo is done, and travel has been opened, it is very hard to think of that being reversed.

I don't wish to get into my opinions if they should or should not do whatever but I think they will.

You're forgetting one small item S7S - the U.S. Congress will have a say into doing away with the restrictions on U.S. travel to Cuba and, as you know, if pro is the opposite of con, then congress is the opposite of progress