Bait and switch

Golfin55

Also what free things they give you and you have to pay for them?

First -- They slash rates to fill ships, and some who book early are seeing the high rate increases.

That negates all the arguments about rates being high or low.

They advertise the specialty restaurants and the booze packages as free, but charge an 18 percent "gratuity or service charge" which cover their costs. If something is advertised as free, it should be free. I don't like to be lied to, so my decision for a cruise will be with a company that I can trust, or with one that cuts prices low enough to offset their shoddy advertising practices.

Edited by swedish weave

They state when you book you have to pay for gratuities. So they are not hiding anything.

If they weren't hiding anything they'd put it in the same font size as where it says FREE on their marketing material.

OR, they'd be honest and say 'select a discounted drink package' instead of calling it free? Because it's not really free and shouldn't be called free...

Actually AARP has a lot to do with it, because they used to allow you to combine the AARP rate with any promo, whether it was free, or "free"+ gratuity.

Except the base rate has been raised to cover the cost of the "free" things.

No kidding. You can go to Kohls and they jack up their prices and say you get 50% off but in reality you are not getting that much off.

I haven't seen the base rate go up much except for suites. You can still get a great deal on lower class cabins. I got a great rate on a suite and paid less for my upcoming cruise then I have the previous 2 cruise for the same cabin category 2 room suite. I also got the most perks I have ever received. So to me I got a great deal. I don't cruise peak times and more flexible on traveling so I can look for deals.

First -- They slash rates to fill ships, and some who book early are seeing the high rate increases.

That negates all the arguments about rates being high or low.

They advertise the specialty restaurants and the booze packages as free, but charge an 18 percent "gratuity or service charge" which cover their costs. Igf something is advertised as free, it should be free. I don't like to be lied to, so my decision for a cruise will be with a company that I can trust, or with one that cuts prices low enough to offset their shoddy advertising practices.

They tell you that you have to pay the 18% gratuity. That is not hidden. I would be happy to pay only 18% on a UBP and not pay full fare plus 18%. If you don't think that's a great deal I don't know what to tell you.

If they weren't hiding anything they'd put it in the same font size as where it says FREE on their marketing material.

OR, they'd be honest and say 'select a discounted drink package' instead of calling it free? Because it's not really free and shouldn't be called free...

Actually AARP has a lot to do with it, because they used to allow you to combine the AARP rate with any promo, whether it was free, or "free"+ gratuity.

Yeah and all companies put their fine print in bold.

But at least we can agree with the AARP even thought I am not old enough to use it. I also think there should be a military discount for immediate families.

No kidding. You can go to Kohls and they jack up their prices and say you get 50% off but in reality you are not getting that much off.

I haven't seen the base rate go up much except for suites. You can still get a great deal on lower class cabins. I got a great rate on a suite and paid less for my upcoming cruise then I have the previous 2 cruise for the same cabin category 2 room suite. I also got the most perks I have ever received. So to me I got a great deal. I don't cruise peak times and more flexible on traveling so I can look for deals.

Sorry, I don't fall for that stuff in stores either since I comparision shop (and I don't fall for loss leaders either, other than to just buy them and nothing else). Yes, they still have great deals out there, but even with the great deals they have to be covering at least their expense in providing the package. I am glad you got a great deal but do wonder if you'll see anything close to it in 2017.

Sorry, I don't fall for that stuff in stores either since I comparision shop (and I don't fall for loss leaders either, other than to just buy them and nothing else). Yes, they still have great deals out there, but even with the great deals they have to be covering at least their expense in providing the package. I am glad you got a great deal but do wonder if you'll see anything close to it in 2017.

I am sure I will.

Bait and switch examples:

1. Promise of free magic show on first night of cruise when I purchased. Changes policy after my final payment.

2. I had UDP and was supposed to get 25% off Carlos, and ocean blue. That didn't happen..$$$

3. Charged me for a service charge that was included in booking promo...more money

I spent thousands on the cruise. Why advertise one thing and supply another?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Now how many companies put their disclaimers in the same font size as their offer? None that I know of, so why should NCL be held to a different standard? It is up to the consumer to read all the details for the restrictions, service charges, shipping charges, inclusions, exclusions, etc.

They state when you book you have to pay for gratuities. So they are not hiding anything.

I do agree they should allow the AARP but that has nothing to do with the quote that they give free things and you have to pay for it.

I would argue the term "Free" is used fast and loose with NCL and while not illegal is not the most transparent. Most customers are not aware the drinks are not "Free" until well within the booking process. NCL's ads and banners are claiming "Free Unlimited Beverages." Not even an asterisk next to the "Free" to qualify there is a "promotional service charge" for your "Free" drinks. They are hiding the "promotional service charge" until the customer has the emotional attachment and is already in the booking process.

Now how many companies put their disclaimers in the same font size as their offer? None that I know of, so why should NCL be held to a different standard? It is up to the consumer to read all the details for the restrictions, service charges, shipping charges, inclusions, exclusions, etc.

That's why I said NCL should advertise their amenities as discounts....

ah but then no one would fall for it.

But at least we can agree with the AARP even thought I am not old enough to use it. I also think there should be a military discount for immediate families.

AARP will take any age as a member, they have no age requirement on membership. I'm under 40. So is my wife. Saved us 5% on our cruise fare.

Our paid membership has entitled us to discounts (beyond just NCL) far surpassing the cost of membership.

AARP will take any age as a member, they have no age requirement on membership. I'm under 40. So is my wife. Saved us 5% on our cruise fare.

Our paid membership has entitled us to discounts (beyond just NCL) far surpassing the cost of membership.

Well thank you. I learned something today.

That's why I said NCL should advertise their amenities as discounts....

ah but then no one would fall for it.

Same could be said for every other company that has offers, but that isn't going to happen either. It is not just NCL, again, why should they be held to a different standard than virtually every other company out there that most people deal with?

Except the base rate has been raised to cover the cost of the "free" things.

Exactly!!! I've seen this with my upcoming Jan cruise

Can't book no frills

And

The current price with the so called freebies is $800 more than I paid

It's only a deal to the unaware uninitiated cruisers

Or

I guess those that would gladly pay for the udp sdp ubp anyway...only now they think it's free...but it certainly is not

IMHO Ncl must think we are real idiots to offer this so called "deal"

But we all know the savvy repeat Ncl cruiser is exactly who Ncl wants to chase away....because we understand their game

Ncl is just so obvious.

Exactly!!! I've seen this with my upcoming Jan cruise

Can't book no frills

And

The current price with the so called freebies is $800 more than I paid

It's only a deal to the unaware uninitiated cruisers

Or

I guess those that would gladly pay for the udp sdp ubp anyway...only now they think it's free...but it certainly is not

IMHO Ncl must think we are real idiots to offer this so called "deal"

But we all know the savvy repeat Ncl cruiser is exactly who Ncl wants to chase away....because we understand their game

Ncl is just so obvious.

Haven't chased me away and there are many others that will continue to cruise with them and be just happy and fine with what they are paying.

Bait and switch examples:

1. Promise of free magic show on first night of cruise when I purchased. Changes policy after my final payment.

2. I had UDP and was supposed to get 25% off Carlos, and ocean blue. That didn't happen..$$$

3. Charged me for a service charge that was included in booking promo...more money

I spent thousands on the cruise. Why advertise one thing and supply another?

I guess you could colloquially call that bait and switch but it is closer to false advertising. Or, in some areas, breech of contract because the contract is more than the "terms and services" and extends to the initial sales offer.

So what recourse does a consumer have? You probably aren't going to get a lawyer to represent you in a civil claim because the amount of the harm to you is so low. You could file a Small Claims case in Florida and might even win (I don't know FL law, but often large corporations don't even show up for small case and you win a default judgement). You can make a complaint with the Florida Attorney General so they will follow up on a criminal investigation. You can complain on social media but because the resolution you want is so far more expensive than losing you as a customer you are left with one solution: Never sail NCL again.

If you, as some have said, will still sail NCL "for a good deal" even though they engage in bait and switch, false advertising and breech of contract you will never effect change. And NCL knows they can continue violating your principles but a nice shiny nickle will get you back on board. You are then the PERFECT customer for a corrupt organization: no matter what they do, you can be bought.

It is bait and switch. Bait with advertising then switch and give a lesser quality product... and charge more for it too. Nick is gone, Margaritaville is a dud and an extra charge after a whole year advertising it as included. Add to that NCL's very poor communication - can't trust anything on their web site or phone reps... and we will be going back to Celebrity and trying Royal Caribbean too. The Margaritaville is not going to make or break my trip but it is irritating and time wasting to figure out what is included and what's not.

We choose NCL primarily for the entertainment. And we accepted paying for specialty dining to have better food. On Getaway, the buffet was just plain awful... somewhere between high school and hospital cafeteria quality food. Did not like Sheehans either. I was hoping Margaritaville would give us a better grab and go option but I refuse to pay for it. I'll be at Food Republic instead.

By comparison, Celebrity Cruise's food quality blows NCL out of the water. Celebrity's main dining was just as good or better than NCL's specialty dining. The buffet was very high quality with made to order stations. And loved Celebrity's Aqua Spa Cafe with very healthy and gourmet breakfast and lunch options. Plus a fresh juice and protein/health shake service station that was an extra charge (not much) but included if you had the beverage package. Bottled water, energy drinks, and specialty coffees included with the beverage package too.

There should be a military discount for military members!:rolleyes:

Their Military discounts are so few and far between, they are almost non existent.

Out of 14 cruises that I have booked with NCL I got one military discount and that was quite a few years ago.

Edited by electro

Same could be said for every other company that has offers, but that isn't going to happen either. It is not just NCL, again, why should they be held to a different standard than virtually every other company out there that most people deal with?

This is a forum to discuss NCL, not every other company out there.

If we point out a flaw in NCL's armor, the proper thing to do is address the flaw, not say well XYZ that sells ABC also has a flaw. That's deflection.

I didn't realize asking a company to honestly advertise something was holding them to a significantly higher standard than the rest of the industry.

Which sounds better in an ad

FREE DRINK PACKAGE*

SIGNIFICANTLY REDUCED DRINK PACKAGE*

Edited by LMaxwell

There should be a military discount for military members!:rolleyes:

There Military discount are so few and far between, they are almost non existent.

Out of 14 cruises that I have booked with NCL I got one military discount and that was quite a few years ago.

A lot of places don't give military discounts anymore which is a shame. I did not serve but I do respect our military and do think companies should be more open to a discount for their service. Not much to ask NCL or other companies to do this for our military people.

A lot of places don't give military discounts anymore which is a shame. I did not serve but I do respect our military and do think companies should be more open to a discount for their service. Not much to ask NCL or other companies to do this for our military people.

Princess Cruises gives OBC for military and veterans on every single sailing.

Have you ever asked NCL to do this or put it on a survey? If you think it is a worthy cause, communicate it to NCL.

Edited by LMaxwell

very worthwhile to join. 3 and a half year membership costs me less than $40 for both myself and spouse. have probably saved 5X that in one year.

I will have to look into it. Thanks for the information. Is it better than AAA.m? I have them and it saves us a little over the year.

Edited by abe3