Bait and switch

Golfin55

NCL does NOT bait and switch. It's frustrating when this term is consistently used incorrectly when referring to the cruise line.

I do not recall, at anytime I've spent onboard any Norwegian ship being lured to a product then being PRESSURED to buy a more expensive one.

MV for example, was originally labeled as a FREE dining venue. No argument there, at best it was a change of mind due to hoards of people lining up for over 1 1/2 to eat when food was available just steps away.

However, no one was standing in front of MV hard selling people to eat there by using intimidating tactics.

Enjoy the link.

Please see the link below.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/bait%20and%20switch

NCL does NOT bait and switch. It's frustrating when this term is consistently used incorrectly when referring to the cruise line.

I do not recall, at anytime I've spent onboard any Norwegian ship being lured to a product then being PRESSURED to buy a more expensive one.

MV for example, was originally labeled as a FREE dining venue. No argument there, at best it was a change of mind due to hoards of people lining up for over 1 1/2 to eat when food was available just steps away.

However, no one was standing in front of MV hard selling people to eat there by using intimidating tactics.

Enjoy the link.

I would agree people use the term "bait n switch" a bit too loosely. I also understand peoples frustrations... but NCL is not the only cruise line starting to charge (nickle n dime) for different things (entertainment and dining) like most businesses.. you have a basic service.. and a premium service. Airlines are doing the same thing.. its going to become more common as time goes on. Pay a lower price for basic services... pay a premium for services you would like. I could have a very enjoyable cruise not spending a penny more.. using the free food and entertainment already available on board. Just my two cents.. not stating a fact.

I would agree people use the term "bait n switch" a bit too loosely. I also understand peoples frustrations... but NCL is not the only cruise line starting to charge (nickle n dime) for different things (entertainment and dining) like most businesses.. you have a basic service.. and a premium service. Airlines are doing the same thing.. its going to become more common as time goes on. Pay a lower price for basic services... pay a premium for services you would like. I could have a very enjoyable cruise not spending a penny more.. using the free food and entertainment already available on board. Just my two cents.. not stating a fact.

Food & entertainment is not free....it's included with your fare.

Enjoy the link.

So what would you call selling one thing and delivering something else? Fraud?

Enjoy the link.

You were baited by a cabin price that included a branded burger experience and then switched by having to pay a higher price to enjoy the branded burger. I don't care about the burger but do care to have a company honor its advertising to entice bookings.

How about this link?

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/bait+and+switch

I haven't ever used the term on here, but terms and meanings change over the years. Most people believe they're offered something for a small price or free and then made to pay for it.

Edited by SuiteCruiser

When faced with the decision of standing in line for an hour and a half with no additional charge or walking right in and paying a fee of approximately $20 I would choose the latter on my vacation.

Fair enough, but no need to go from zero to $120 for a family. They'd have had a much better result at $5 a head or starting a reservation system. Now it's just a big waste of space since most people don't agree with you.

Edited by SuiteCruiser

Enjoy the link.

Thanks for the link. According to your link, the full bait and switch definition includes: " the ploy of offering a person something desirable to gain favor (as political support) then thwarting expectations with something less desirable."

One could argue the often publicized free Margaritaville would be the: "ploy of offering a person something desirable to gain favor" and upon boarding the ship the pax finding Margaritaville is not free but a la carte is the: "then thwarting expectations with something less desirable."

But to me the notable aspect of FDR's decision to charge for Margaritaville is his decision to go a la carte rather than a simple fixed nominal fee. For customer convenience and accounting simplicity a fixed fee would have effectively served to reduce demand. Instead he chose to implement psychological pricing model whereby individual prices ended in .99 which gives the illusion of a lower prices. For example, prices such as $5.99 are psychologically associated with spending $5 rather than $6. If his sole motive was to reduce demand, why implement a compound psychological pricing model which is less consumer friendly and more trouble for the servers and accountants to track? Me thinks he saw an opportunity in the huge Margaritaville demand and put profit ahead of customer service.

Nickle and Dime is just as stupid of a term to use. Prices go up people. Whether NCL (or any company) makes an across the board price increase so everyone pays more, or increases prices on a per use basis so only those who choose to pay more do so, is just a matter of how the price increase in initiated. I prefer the pay as you go method. Why should I pay for things Io not want to use? I can promise you if NCL had simply increased cruise fares enough to cover the per use fees, people would be crying hard about why they do not just charge for what you use.

It's a stretch at best to call dining plan changes and free vs fee dining option changes bait and switch. Technically you can still eat all the meals aboard for the included cruise fare and not pay extra. The mdr and included fare isn't just bread and water. If they sold you an inclusive cruise and then told you any food or liquid would cost extra then that's bait and switch.

Selling someone a cruise one day, taking their $, and the very next day telling them they switched the ship and itinerary so if you still want to sail on those dates you're now going to pay double? Well that's bait and switch. They did it with Epic sailings. Ironically the replacement ship, the Spirit, just had the embarkation and debarkation ports changed to a different country on sailings where airfare is available for purchase. Cruise insurance is a necessity for this type of stuff because NCL can basically do whatever whenever according to their contracts. It's not like buying an airfare. The consumer has no rights and is baffled (myself included) when the cruise line flexes their contract stipulations.

Instead of the ta reading the cancellation rules to you when a cruise is booked they really should be telling the consumer that Cruise lines can and do change terms and conditions including when and if you will ever sail for the price paid. I encourage everyone to read their cruise contract. It's an eye opener for sure.

Nickle and Dime is just as stupid of a term to use. Prices go up people. Whether NCL (or any company) makes an across the board price increase so everyone pays more, or increases prices on a per use basis so only those who choose to pay more do so, is just a matter of how the price increase in initiated. I prefer the pay as you go method. Why should I pay for things Io not want to use? I can promise you if NCL had simply increased cruise fares enough to cover the per use fees, people would be crying hard about why they do not just charge for what you use.

Well said!

So what part of FREE do you not understand ?

Ok I'll bite, I do not understand the food is "free" but the delivery charge is now 7.95 plus an 18% gratuity, when was the last time you paid an 18% gratuity on your newspaper delivery, or your Amazon delivery, or maybe I should also pay a delivery charge and tip when I go to the post office to buy stamps.......

I know what free is, do you?

Fair enough, but no need to go from zero to $120 for a family. They'd have had a much better result at $5 a head or starting a reservation system. Now it's just a big waste of space since most people don't agree with you.

You make a very good point.

I think that if given a choice between...

A) paying $2500 and the ability eat anywhere.

B) paying $2000 and paying $20 per meal at the specialty restaurants.

I'd choose "A" even though it would cost slightly more (21 meals in 7 days/ $2500 vs $2420) just for the simplicity.

It's not really about the money. It's about the "we changed our mind after you booked....sux to be you..." mentality.

Enjoy the link.

In natural languages the meanings of words and terms change over time. Gay in the 1920's meant something entirely different than today. So too with terms like bait and switch. This characteristic is what keeps lexicographers employed. Definitions are always constructed after the fact.

Even so, I noticed that the provided link makes no use of the word "pressured" that is so prominent in the argument. In fact it uses "encouraged".

While I doubt many bought a cruise based only on the inclusion of Margaritaville in the fare, I don't doubt that there were those who did factor this into their decision. So the advertising was the bait. The switch was learning after final payment that the product was only available at an additional cost.

The reason presented for the policy change is not material. But the argument that it was done to control demand reeks. There are other mechanisms that could have been employed. Methods that would not involve charging for something advertised as included.

So what would you call selling one thing and delivering something else? Fraud?

No, it not fraud either. I never said I liked the change or agree with ANY large Corp. changing direction mid stream. Fraud is by a purposeful act of intentionally misleading others with malice. Unfortunately, the passenger contract allows them to make such changes with little to no public notice.

Greedy, perhaps. But not fraud. If you like I can debate this with you in greater detail. But I feel both of us have better things to do.