Immigration times at Miami international airport?

ellie1145

Hi

Immigration wasn't all that bad as long as you have all paperwork at hand

The longest part is getting from the plane to start your entry journey

If you are not tech smart they have self service passport control machines you have to deal with first

Every officer that dealt with us was polite and professional when we said we were leaving next day on a cruise our passports were stamped and sent on our way

I did have apprehension after watching MIA 24/7 on the tv

The biggest problem will be if your flight arrives at the same time as other international arrivals. This is true of any international destination. Miami does, however, deserve its reputation.

Hope you are coming to your embarkation port at least one day prior to your cruise. That will help make the long lines more palatable.

Enjoy your cruise.

Anyone else's past experience has no relevance to what your wait time will be. You can check averages here:

http://awt.cbp.gov

Excellent advice.

The experience will vary often.

For us, it varies when we visit the UK. Could be fast or very long.

I hope you are not flying in the day of the cruise.

Keith

Hi

Immigration wasn't all that bad as long as you have all paperwork at hand

The longest part is getting from the plane to start your entry journey

If you are not tech smart they have self service passport control machines you have to deal with first

Every officer that dealt with us was polite and professional when we said we were leaving next day on a cruise our passports were stamped and sent on our way

I did have apprehension after watching MIA 24/7 on the tv

Thank you for your very helpful response. Whilst I realise no two experiences will be the same, it is reassuring to note that at least you did not have a 3 hour wait! Let's hope we will be as lucky!

Of course we are arriving 2 days before the cruise. We would not risk anything less.

I have travelled the all over world and gone through many different immigration line-ups. My top three worst-ever waits were all Miami. Anywhere from two to three hours to get through there. Dreadful place.

I have travelled the all over world and gone through many different immigration line-ups. My top three worst-ever waits were all Miami. Anywhere from two to three hours to get through there. Dreadful place.

Do you not clear US immigration in YVR??

I was pleasantly surprised with my last arrival into Miami :)

The DIY passport scanners really made the process so much faster. Scan your passport, do your fingerprints then your photo is taken. Then a paper 'receipt' is printed which you hand in to immigration.

I was off the plane and out to the luggage hall in about 40 minutes - and 20 minutes of that was the walk from the plane to immigration!

I was dreading flying into Miami after several horrendously long waits in queues previously, but this was all quite painless :)

All that's needed now is a main monitor screen showing what baggage carousel is being used for each flight - that was a pain trawling up and down until chancing upon the right one :o

:confused:

HUH???

Maybe Doug is confusing the inbound with outbound from MIA

You are assuming every international flight he takes is YVR-US. Then yes, he would have US preclearance at YVR. But what if he enters the US from some other port of entry? Say, LHR-MIA? Then, he would be clearing US immigration and customs at MIA.

You are assuming every international flight he takes is YVR-US. Then yes, he would have US preclearance at YVR. But what if he enters the US from some other port of entry? Say, LHR-MIA? Then, he would be clearing US immigration and customs at MIA.

so not to get too far of topic that is why I asked if he cleared in YVR

I am not assuming anything .. :eek:

so not to get too far of topic that is why I asked if he cleared in YVR

I am not assuming anything .. :eek:

I am not sure you are understanding this. Your posts seem to indicate you think all his travel originates at YVR and then goes to the US.

Yes he would have US preclearance in YVR if he was going to the US. But, if he is traveling INTO the US from a country that does not have US preclearance, he's going to clear immigration/customs at his first port of entry. Such as Miami, which he mentioned in his post.

Edited by 6rugrats

Quite right, 6rugrats. Any time I fly from Canada to Miami, there is pre-clearance at departure so Miami arrival is just like U.S. domestic. Super! Non-Canadian arrivals were from the Caribbean, South American and trans-At.

OMG Rugrats :eek:

I guess I was thinking Doug actually flew from Canada

I do not have any knowledge of his travel itineraries as you seem to have

In any case the OP is from the UK & it is a different set of rules for them unless they pre clear US immigration in Dublin they will have to do it at MIA

enough said

I'm surprised at this; you usually are not a rude poster who must always be correct.

Hope your day goes better.

No one here has his detailed travel itineraries, but I also took your question to mean you had not even considered that perhaps he sometimes enters the US from somewhere other than his home airport. ;)

No one here has his detailed travel itineraries, but I also took your question to mean you had not even considered that perhaps he sometimes enters the US from somewhere other than his home airport. ;)

Thank you

I think the planets must be out of alignment or something lots of grumpy people here this week :D

Lyn

Thank you

I think the planets must be out of alignment or something lots of grumpy people here this week :D

Lyn

Providing information to someone who jumps to conclusions and ignores data points does not equal "grumpy".