Can you get a bargain on Liquor in the Caribbean

For us in th UK, because of the high taxes etc, price at BIU (and Caribbean) can be half price or even less. For example, a bottle of 5 Year ENGLISH HARBOUR, is around $12.00 (£8.00) in Antigua, but over £30.00 ($45.00) in the UK.

BIU also have a nice Bar/Cafe to revive one after the extensive browsing.

Enjoy :)

Additional info.

We inform cruisers on our ships to order on line, or visit the store, and collect on the way back from Maho Beach (BIU is on the road to/from Maho Beach). But many people think cheaper prices will be found on Front Street, and leave the Beach 1.5 hours early, just to run up/down Front Street to save a couple of dollars. :eek:

It's their choice.....

Have never really spent much time pricing-out booze on St Kitts. But on St Maarten you will find one of the most prolific Single Malt selections outside of Scotland. We know of one store (owned by an Indian family) that is quickly approaching the holy grail of Scotch in that they want to stock every single malt in existence (they are now very close). Trying to chose a couple of bottles from the more then 100 Scotches is a real challenge.

Hank

Hank, Care to share the name or location of that wonderful store? I found good prices just off Front Street in an alley heading to the beach.

Edited by ChucktownSteve

We're doing a western route for the first time. Any tips for which port is the best to purchase a nice bottle of vodka for me and a single malt scotch for the hubby? We're stopping in Cozumel, Grand Cayman and Ocho Rios.

Hank, Care to share the name or location of that wonderful store? I found good prices just off Front Street in an alley heading to the beach.

I think its spelled something like Gulhmohar and its located along the main shopping street around the mid point. The place is a joy for scotch lovers whether you buy or just look. They have stuff I have not even seen in Edinburgh.

Hank

I think its spelled something like Gulhmohar and its located along the main shopping street around the mid point. The place is a joy for scotch lovers whether you buy or just look. They have stuff I have not even seen in Edinburgh.

Hank

I love Google!

https://search.yahoo.com/yhs/search;_ylt=A0LEVvRFR4BWDBwAzocnnIlQ;_ylc=X1MDMTM1MTE5NTY4NwRfcgMyBGZyA3locy1tb3ppbGxhLTAwNQRncHJpZANRZXRBY0ZwcVJXV0o5N2pucFk3aWdBBG5fcnNsdAMwBG5fc3VnZwMxBG9yaWdpbgNzZWFyY2gueWFob28uY29tBHBvcwMxBHBxc3RyA0d1bGhtb2hhciBzdARwcXN0cmwDMTIEcXN0cmwDMTkEcXVlcnkDZ3VsbW9oYXIgc3QgbWFhcnRlbgR0X3N0bXADMTQ1MTI0NzQ0Mg--?p=gulmohar+st+maarten&fr2=sa-gp-search&hspart=mozilla&hsimp=yhs-005

http://www.gulmoharsxm.com/

Edited by chamima

We use BOOZE IT UP in StM. Just order over the phone or Internet and they deliver or you can collect (and browse). BIU will look to price match and will try and obtain that rare/special bottle of liquor or wine not on their standard menu.

The standard Liquor price list link.

http://www.boozeitup-sxm.com/sites/all/themes/framework/content/files/booze-it-up-other-liquors.pdf

The standard Wine list link.

http://www.boozeitup-sxm.com/#!/wine-store

this looks great, but is FAR from where the ships dock. Do you take a taxi there? or do they deliver?

this looks great, but is FAR from where the ships dock. Do you take a taxi there? or do they deliver?

About $15.00 each way by taxi for 2 pax. But you can join a share minibus to Maho Beach. Sorry I do not know how much this will be, but taxis do stop off on the way back to the ship from Maho Beach, as BIU is on the main road.

BIU do deliver to the ship, but not all ships allow this. Send BIU a message with the name of your ship and they will revert promptly.

Location.....

http://www.boozeitup-sxm.com/#!/map

About $15.00 each way by taxi for 2 pax. But you can join a share minibus to Maho Beach. Sorry I do not know how much this will be, but taxis do stop off on the way back to the ship from Maho Beach, as BIU is on the main road.

BIU do deliver to the ship, but not all ships allow this. Send BIU a message with the name of your ship and they will revert promptly.

Location.....

http://www.boozeitup-sxm.com/#!/map

Doesn't that $30 for the cab kind of eat up a lot of what you save?

The other recommended place is right on Front Street.

Doesn't that $30 for the cab kind of eat up a lot of what you save?

The other recommended place is right on Front Street.

I am a collector of fine Cognacs and Rums. BIU collates my orders and I collect.

The $30.00 is a small price to pay when saving hundreds of dollars compared to what I would pay in the UK. ;)

• 2 weeks later...
Definitely worth it for you as you drive home. Agree you are rarely if ever asked to pay duty. The reality is the US tax on a 750ml of 80 proof liquor is only $2.14. Thus the difference in price is the discount and not the tax. Customs is hardly concerned with $2 or even $10 in duty.

FYI - You are technically required to separately declare liquor and other items that are in excess of your duty free allowance even though they will not collect.

I've been asked a few times to pay duty, but never as much as it was really supposed to be. The funniest time was when customs had a table on ship where you had to pay. Each person was asked to pay in cash. Following the example of the gentleman right before me, I told the officer that my cash was still in my cabin & I would have to go get it. He said okay, signed my paper as though I had paid, and I'll leave it to you to figure out if I returned with the cash. :)

• 1 month later...