Can you get a bargain on Liquor in the Caribbean

Yes....and that was a big surprise to me...but it depends on what you are buying. I love Stoli Elit vodka but at $59.95 plus tax for a fifth (750ml) at home and rarely discounted I pass it by. Found it in St Thomas for $38 (no tax) for a fifth...great buy. Well, yes until we got to St Maarten where I found a full liter for $40. OK...I bought one in st thomas and two more liters in St Maarten. (note: I also priced Tito's vodka which is made in Texas...almost double my local liquor store's price on the islands).

I also priced Lagavulin 16YO single malt scotch...$95 plus tax in Florida, $96 at the Diageo store on board the equinox but tax free (ummm....not exactly a good deal)....and $$65 in both St Thomas and St Maarten. Did not buy, but some of the single malts are good deals.

Finally, I needed a bottle of black sambuca (doesn't everyone?) Not available on the ship. $24 for fifth at home, $16 in St Thomas, $12 in St Maarten. Maybe not worth the savings, but since we drive home from ft lauderdale, why not save $12 plus tax.

I was prepared to pay duty when we returned, but no one even asked (and we declared it on the form lumped together as liquor). Your experience may, of course, be different.

Have others found good deals. This might be an interesting and valuable thread of where to buy what.....

Edited by ghstudio

Definitely worth it for you as you drive home. Agree you are rarely if ever asked to pay duty. The reality is the US tax on a 750ml of 80 proof liquor is only $2.14. Thus the difference in price is the discount and not the tax. Customs is hardly concerned with $2 or even $10 in duty.

FYI - You are technically required to separately declare liquor and other items that are in excess of your duty free allowance even though they will not collect.

It really depends on what you want. I looked at champagne and single malt scotch, but I checked prices at Total Wine and there was no savings by buying on board (sometimes it even costs more). If you are only saving the tax, I don't feel it is worth carrying when you have to deal with carrying luggage too. The deals on moderate vodkas is often very good though.

If you see something that is sold on the ship for a lower price in port take a picture of the price and Celebrity will match it.

Maybe and then likely with a hassle...the price label doesn't say xxxx and the price tag is probably under the wrong bottles; I have to see the price on a store invoice or letterhead, we don't price match pictures; it's fake xxxx..there is lots of fraud on that island; etc.

I suggest that If you see a bargain on shore, buy it on shore.

(just for accuracy...celebrity is not matching the price on board...you are dealing with whatever company is actually running the liquor store...it's not celebrity...and it's very unlikely that celebrity will get involved at all.)

Edited by ghstudio

We live in Washington State. johnnie walker blue at the grocery store is $259.00 plus a tax. So buying on the ship is a great deal.

Amen! I was horrified when I moved up here to learn that liquor has not one, but TWO taxes on every purchase! :eek: Back when we lived in SoCal, it was usually not worth it for us to schlep alcohol home from a cruise (especially if we were flying). Now, I take bubble wrap whenever I travel -- and I try never to pass up a duty-free shop (even on the ferry to BC)! ;)

We do find some bargains on St Maarten (especially in the high-end Single Malt Scotches) but have also found prices on some items (especially decent Cognac) to be not much better then we pay at home. And when you figure the hassle of lugging the stuff home, having to pack it checked luggage (if flying), and dealing with the airline weight limits, we only buy a small amount of higher prices stuff.

We have been underwhelmed by St Thomas prices in recent years and find prices and selection much better on St Maarten. We are aware of the increased duty free allowance for St Thomas purchases, but still prefer to buy in St Maarten even if we exceed our duty-free limit. US Customs has never charged us for the excess bottles (which we do always Declare) since the paperwork is not worth their trouble for the small duty.

Hank

I second what Hlitner suggested.

I used to buy liquor in St. Thomas many years ago but found that St. Maarten has better prices. The last two times I was there I got Johnny Walker Blue for $99/ltr. Plus I bought so much including other high end brands that they gave me three free pints of JW Black. Told me to place one in my pocket as I boarded and security would never discover it. They didn't. The rest was delivered directly to the ship.

Here's a tip if you're driving from port, If you stop at a U.S. Virgin Island port, you can buy one locally produced liquor (usually rum) and five additional liters per person. I usually bring back 13 bottles but declare them. I have never had to pay extra duty because the paperwork is more hassle and time than it's worth what they collect. I declare the U.S. Virgin Island port on my customs form and list St. Maarten. I don't say WHERE I bought the liquor though. :D

Don't forget to take a folding, rolling cart to aid in the cartons of liquor.

BTW, I also luv JW Gold.

Edited by ChucktownSteve

From this thread it appears that Celebrity lets you bring liquor purchased on shore onto the ship. Is this true, or are people just sneaking it onboard? If true, can you bring a bottle of liquor aboard Celebrity at embarkation, also? HAL does not let you bring any spirits aboard, only a bottle of wine.

Thanks for any info.

Penny

From this thread it appears that Celebrity lets you bring liquor purchased on shore onto the ship. Is this true, or are people just sneaking it onboard? If true, can you bring a bottle of liquor aboard Celebrity at embarkation, also? HAL does not let you bring any spirits aboard, only a bottle of wine.

Thanks for any info.

Penny

Liquor bought at a port store is usually delivered free to the ship and held by the ship until the night before debarkation. If you purchase a bottle at a port and bring it through security (the scanner), they will take it and hold it until the night before debarkation. If you smuggle liquor in your suitcase at embarkation and they find it, you have to go to the naughty room to claim your luggage without the liquor.

Repackaged liquor is discarded. Sealed liquor is usually returned at the end of the cruise from what I understand.

The above only applies to liquor.

Edited by ChucktownSteve

Thanks for any info.

Penny

Celebrity and just about any cruise line allows you to purchase booze (liquor or wine) ashore and bring it back to the ship. On most of the islands, if you purchase booze early in the day they will deliver it to the ship. If you carry it aboard on your own, you are supposed to turn it over to the ship at a table located somewhere near the entrance (security will usually direct you to the place). The ship holds the booze in a secure area until the last day of the cruise at which time it is delivered directly to your cabin. On Celebrity (about 10 days ago) our booze was waiting inside our cabin when we returned to get ready for dinner (around 5:30).

Hank

We found even better deals in Dominica a few weeks ago. Although the selections were not as extensive as A H Riis on St. Thomas the comparable prices reminded us of the St. Thomas of yore. There are several liquor stores within two blocks of the pier. One is almost hidden in a store with green ironwork on the 2nd floor balcony.

Prices were better than St. Maarten too.

My DH took a screen shot for the clerk on the Summit and he was glad we had already purchased our limit and didn't have to honor their price guarantee.

Forgot to add that their cigarette prices were about 1/2 those on the ship.

Edited by alcpa1

Liquor bought at a port store is usually delivered free to the ship and held by the ship until the night before debarkation. If you purchase a bottle at a port and bring it through security (the scanner), they will take it and hold it until the night before debarkation. If you smuggle liquor in your suitcase at embarkation and they find it, you have to go to the naughty room to claim your luggage without the liquor.

Repackaged liquor is discarded. Sealed liquor is usually returned at the end of the cruise from what I understand.

The above only applies to liquor.

Thanks to all who answered my question. Sounds like all ships have the same policy about spirits.

Penny

If you're seeking to smuggle liquor on-board at embarkation, many people recommend the "Rum Runner" brand plastic bladders in different sizes. Since they're all flat, heavy plastic, they don't show up on X-ray as a liquor bottle.

I've used them on four cruises and have not had them discovered yet. It comes in handy at the hotel the night before and after your cruise when you're in your room and want a cocktail. Even with the liquor package, it comes in handy while in your ship's cabin so you don't have to run to a bar while getting dressed for the evening.

I usually place them each inside a Ziploc bag and store them with my other toiletries in the checked luggage. Or I place one inside a shoe to offer a little extra protection from external pressure.

Edited by ChucktownSteve

On our recent Caribbean cruise I don't know what happens if you let the liquor store deliver to the ship...Celebrity probably keeps it and delivers it the last night....however, I carried my liquor on board myself in a standard plastic bag from the store...put it through the scanners and no one asked me to check it...in fact, there was no place I could even see to check it if I had wanted to. The bottles went to my cabin with me.

On our last transatlantic cruise, I purchased a bottle of local liquor, brought it on the ship, security saw it in the scanner and asked me to step to the table behind them to check it. I looked behind them and around the entry area and there was no table.....so I just took it with me to my cabin.

We went on a B2B on the millenium in Asia..purchased some wine/liquor on the first cruise and there was a table to check it with Celebrity. No problem...checked it, and as you probably guessed, it was returned the last night of the first cruise so we could pack it. In that case, we did enjoy the wine during our second cruise :)

Policy enforcement is obviously inconsistent. I always assume that any wine/liquor I purchase at a port will be held by the ship until the end of my cruise, but you just never know.

Edited by ghstudio

We were pricing higher end single malts last year and St. Kitts seemed to have slightly better prices than even St. Maarten.

(Didn't buy - decided it was too much effort to bring home but might this year.)

Can anyone comment on their experience with that?

We were pricing higher end single malts last year and St. Kitts seemed to have slightly better prices than even St. Maarten.

(Didn't buy - decided it was too much effort to bring home but might this year.)

Have never really spent much time pricing-out booze on St Kitts. But on St Maarten you will find one of the most prolific Single Malt selections outside of Scotland. We know of one store (owned by an Indian family) that is quickly approaching the holy grail of Scotch in that they want to stock every single malt in existence (they are now very close). Trying to chose a couple of bottles from the more then 100 Scotches is a real challenge.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

Yes....and that was a big surprise to me...but it depends on what you are buying. I love Stoli Elit vodka but at $59.95 plus tax for a fifth (750ml) at home and rarely discounted I pass it by. Found it in St Thomas for $38 (no tax) for a fifth...great buy. Well, yes until we got to St Maarten where I found a full liter for $40. OK...I bought one in st thomas and two more liters in St Maarten. (note: I also priced Tito's vodka which is made in Texas...almost double my local liquor store's price on the islands).

I also priced Lagavulin 16YO single malt scotch...$95 plus tax in Florida, $96 at the Diageo store on board the equinox but tax free (ummm....not exactly a good deal)....and $$65 in both St Thomas and St Maarten. Did not buy, but some of the single malts are good deals.

Finally, I needed a bottle of black sambuca (doesn't everyone?) Not available on the ship. $24 for fifth at home, $16 in St Thomas, $12 in St Maarten. Maybe not worth the savings, but since we drive home from ft lauderdale, why not save $12 plus tax.

I was prepared to pay duty when we returned, but no one even asked (and we declared it on the form lumped together as liquor). Your experience may, of course, be different.

Have others found good deals. This might be an interesting and valuable thread of where to buy what.....

We use BOOZE IT UP in StM. Just order over the phone or Internet and they deliver or you can collect (and browse). BIU will look to price match and will try and obtain that rare/special bottle of liquor or wine not on their standard menu.

The standard Liquor price list link.

http://www.boozeitup-sxm.com/sites/all/themes/framework/content/files/booze-it-up-other-liquors.pdf

The standard Wine list link.

http://www.boozeitup-sxm.com/#!/wine-store

We use BOOZE IT UP in StM. Just order over the phone or Internet and they deliver or you can collect (and browse). BIU will look to price match and will try and obtain that rare/special bottle of liquor or wine not on their standard menu.

The standard Liquor price list link.

http://www.boozeitup-sxm.com/sites/all/themes/framework/content/files/booze-it-up-other-liquors.pdf

The standard Wine list link.

http://www.boozeitup-sxm.com/#!/wine-store

That's a helpful list. I glanced at some items I know pretty well and many of those are actually cheaper or the same price in Florida at least at discount liquor stores.

That's a helpful list. I glanced at some items I know pretty well and many of those are actually cheaper or the same price in Florida at least at discount liquor stores.

For us in th UK, because of the high taxes etc, price at BIU (and Caribbean) can be half price or even less. For example, a bottle of 5 Year ENGLISH HARBOUR, is around $12.00 (£8.00) in Antigua, but over £30.00 ($45.00) in the UK.

BIU also have a nice Bar/Cafe to revive one after the extensive browsing.

Enjoy :)

Liquor in the Caribbean is much cheaper than in PA. However, unless we are sailing out on NJ we do not think it is worthwhile to haul it home in checked luggage.