TA Questions

SKSMIKE5

We're on our first TA with Celebrity this April and are wondering how they adjust the time. I've seen some posts that say they did an hour a day and others that said they had a 3 hour adjustment at once! YIKES! We leave Ft Lauderdale this April and end up at South Hampton 13 days later. I've looked to see what type of ship activities they have for the 8 days we are at sea and it seems like there is quite a lot going on.I can't tell if there is a charge for some of it (dance lessons? Art Classes? ) Do they show movies in the theater and if so are they fairly current? Appreciate any additional information anyone thinks would be helpful! Thanks!

We're on our first TA with Celebrity this April and are wondering how they adjust the time. I've seen some posts that say they did an hour a day and others that said they had a 3 hour adjustment at once! YIKES! We leave Ft Lauderdale this April and end up at South Hampton 13 days later. I've looked to see what type of ship activities they have for the 8 days we are at sea and it seems like there is quite a lot going on.I can't tell if there is a charge for some of it (dance lessons? Art Classes? ) Do they show movies in the theater and if so are they fairly current? Appreciate any additional information anyone thinks would be helpful! Thanks!

We have done two TAs with Celebrity in the last two years, from FLL to Rome and Amsterdam. We absolutely love the TAs. So much to do that you may have two or three things going on at the same time you want to attend. Yes, they show movies in a small conference room with uncomfortable chairs. Better to watch them in the comfort of your stateroom on the TV. Virtually all the activities are free except the wine tasting seminar and some of the classes in the fitness center. On our cruises the dance lessons (by the very fit stage performers :D) and art classes were complimentary. They adjust the time one hour at a time as you cross from one time zone to another. Whoever said they adjust three hours at a time spent too much time in the Martini Bar! :eek:

I'm jealous!

We did the TA on the Silhouette in 2014. Time changed as we crossed the time zones so it was gradual. Most cruise activities were free. There was a painting class that had a $10 charge per session. Bingo had a charge. Movies were newer releases. You'll love it!

TAs and one-way voyages are so much more exciting to my wife and I. The itineraries are fresher, more sea days (I love relaxing on sea days), and they have an extra level of ambiance by harkening back to the days that sea travel was the norm. I think about my grandmother crossing from Ireland to the USA on the QE1 in 1948, although she wouldn't have had anything Celebrity offers :)

Also, the crows are fun to us because at home, we're the best traveled of our friends. On these more exotic itineraries, everyone is better (or equally) traveled as us so we can swap stories instead of feeling like we're just bragging.

I suspect you are on the Eclipse TA that we were on this past spring. They changed the time during the night. I know the first one was prior to our arrival in Bermuda and the 2nd the night we left Bermuda and then the others were as we crossed the ocean..

They did show movies nightly in the theater, but they were the same ones you could get in your stateroom. Have a wonderful cruise, we loved the Eclipse!:)

We've done a couple of TAs on Celebrity and as others have mentioned, the time changes one hour at a time. If I recall correctly, on one of the TAs we had a time change on night 2, then another on night 4, then night 6 ... it does take a toll. We're early risers and had to learn to 'forgive' ourselves for sleeping in several days.

Some activities do have a fee, while others will be free. I like the art classes and there will often be a mix of free and $10 charge. If you are interested in the art classes, register or show up early. They are really popular!

If you are on the Silhouette we are on the same trip. Thanks for the question and comments. My bigger concern is clean clothes. I don't want to over pack but 13 days. Any hints?

We sailed on the Equinox in April of this year from Ft Lauderdale to Barcelona. No more than one time zone change per day. Surprisingly, the time changed in the middle of the afternoon each day. When it reached 2pm, the ship's time was adjusted to 3pm. That was OK with us, as we didn't lose an hour of sleep each night! [emoji3]

How would it be for people in there mid 30s?

You will find that TAs (on any cruise line) tend to be an older crowd.....but not too old to have fun! You will do just fine!

We sailed on the Equinox in April of this year from Ft Lauderdale to Barcelona. No more than one time zone change per day. Surprisingly, the time changed in the middle of the afternoon each day. When it reached 2pm, the ship's time was adjusted to 3pm. That was OK with us, as we didn't lose an hour of sleep each night! [emoji3]

That is indeed odd! All of the time changes on our TAs were done in the middle of the night, 2am as I recall, which is the generally accepted practice of ships at sea.

Yes, the last East bound TA we did with Celebrity, they have changed the way they do the time changes. It did suddenly become 3 pm at 2 pm. I did not care for that at all! Suddenly, right after lunch, you only have 2 hours before needing to shower and dress for dinner/cocktails. I much preferred it in the middle of the night! I also prefer West bound TAs where you gain hours!

TAs tend to have a lot of both experienced cruisers and older. Who else can take at least 3 weeks off? Those on board spend time in Europe either before or after their cruise. Some 100 on our cruise last year to Civitecchia were using the ship as transportation and lived in Europe for the summer. Active group and not old fuddy duddies.

Interesting comment on time change on Equinox. On Constellation we moved the clock 6 nights in a row at 2am each night.

If you are on the Silhouette we are on the same trip. Thanks for the question and comments. My bigger concern is clean clothes. I don't want to over pack but 13 days. Any hints?

Be elite for free laundry? Hehe, kidding around.

Undershirts, underwear and socks are pretty easy to wash in the sink if you bring a packet of liquid detergent. Drying is tougher unless you have a balcony (and even then you aren't supposed to leave clothing out). I pack 1/2 the shirts I need and depend on the undershirts to keep the actual shirts clean (enough). We usually suck it up and pay for some laundry on long cruises too.

How would it be for people in there mid 30s?

DW and I are in our 30s and love Celebrity. There's plenty to keep busy, plus we bring books and tablets. Our experience is that people of all ages love to talk about their other cruises and vacations so bringing them up is an easy ice breaker to meet people. The only difference I find with the crowd being older than me is all superfluous - I'm more likely to hear about someone's grandkids than their own kids; and I'm more often asking what someone did for a living before retiring, where I'm talking about my active career.

Yes, the last East bound TA we did with Celebrity, they have changed the way they do the time changes. It did suddenly become 3 pm at 2 pm. I did not care for that at all! Suddenly, right after lunch, you only have 2 hours before needing to shower and dress for dinner/cocktails. I much preferred it in the middle of the night! I also prefer West bound TAs where you gain hours!

The decision for the time change is the Captain's, so each sailing may be different. Our Eclipse TA this spring it was in the middle of the night..while from what I understand the Equinox and perhaps the Reflection did it in the middle of the night...who knows what next springs will be, but mostly it's been done at night.

Thanks everyone for the great responses!! We're getting excited! Have our plans for our three ports all we have left to do is buy our Premium Beverage Package!!

As far as laundry goes, we did a 14 day Med cruise last May and half way through they ran a laundry special....i think it was $25 for all you could get in the bag. If you roll the clothes you can get A LOT in the bag! THat saved us from packing two weeks worth of "casual" clothes.

Yes

We think west bounds are better, as you do gain an hour instead of losing one......

Helaine