Feel Free

bronzey214

Yup I agree with you there. It's catchy and probably effective to attract first time cruisers. Unfortunately once they cruise on NCL they will discover that "free" often times will cost you. Also unless you want to miss out on some highlights, you better schedule a lot of things in advance. Sort of dilutes the "Freestyle" concept. In some ways you have to plan ahead and schedule out your week more than the traditional lines.

I don't think every one will share your opinion. I'm a planner, so I don't have an issue reserving thing...and since they don't tell me what I have to or when I have to do it, I'm still free to cruise like the fun half Norwegian I am.

I mentioned just a few days ago that I thought the Freestyle slogan was tired and not reflective of the experience they offer. It did more so when Freestyle was first introduced years ago...but now every line has a similar structure. They need something new or more unique to differentiate themselves. I'm not sure this is it though.

That last tag line is a bit peculiar. "Feel free to follow the sun...instead of a schedule." Doesn't the need for reservations for most activities and meals on the mega ships is completely contradict that concept? :eek: Nothing about that conjures a 'freestyle' image in my mind.

I don't think every one will share your opinion. I'm a planner, so I don't have an issue reserving thing...and since they don't tell me what I have to or when I have to do it, I'm still free to cruise like the fun half Norwegian I am.

My point was that the concept of "Freestyle" is supposed to mean you don't have to plan out everything. This is true if you don't mind missing out on the best shows and restaurants. If you do mind, then better plan ahead. I'm a planner too so it doesn't bother me, but not everyone is and Freestyle gives the impression that they don't have to plan out a thing. I think they would be very disappointed if they didn't plan and ended up missing out on some key events onboard.

I sailed Norway for two weeks from the Arctic Circle on down. Absolutely amazing and beautiful country, but generally speaking the Norwegian's were a pretty somber group. Now "cruise like a Brazilian" or "cruise like an Irishman" or even "cruise like an Italian" I might relate to better. Those are some of the nationalities I associate with a fun loving and care-free people.

Maybe you might want to spend some real, non tourist time in Oslo, Stavanger or Bergen before you lump all Norwegians into that somber group. I've also cruised the artic in Norway looking for polar bears and met some wonderful, fun and happy Norwegians, but then I always feel that you get what you give out.

I mentioned just a few days ago that I thought the Freestyle slogan was tired and not reflective of the experience they offer. It did more so when Freestyle was first introduced years ago...but now every line has a similar structure. They need something new or more unique to differentiate themselves. I'm not sure this is it though.

That last tag line is a bit peculiar. "Feel free to follow the sun...instead of a schedule." Doesn't the need for reservations for most activities and meals on the mega ships is completely contradict that concept? :eek: Nothing about that conjures a 'freestyle' image in my mind.

I agree completely. As the new NCL ships have become more complex with more offerings, the need to plan ahead and schedule out the week has become more and more of a necessity. "Freestyle" is history.

Maybe you might want to spend some real, non tourist time in Oslo, Stavanger or Bergen before you lump all Norwegians into that somber group. I've also cruised the artic in Norway looking for polar bears and met some wonderful, fun and happy Norwegians, but then I always feel that you get what you give out.

Yes you're completely right it's my fault I found Norwegian's a somber group. Whatever!

I'll add I stated "generally speaking". You read what you wanted to read and please don't preach to me. I've probably been to Norway more than you have.

Edited by eroller

My point was that the concept of "Freestyle" is supposed to mean you don't have to plan out everything. This is true if you don't mind missing out on the best shows and restaurants. If you do mind, then better plan ahead. I'm a planner too so it doesn't bother me, but not everyone is and Freestyle gives the impression that they don't have to plan out a thing. I think they would be very disappointed if they didn't plan and ended up missing out on some key events onboard.

I believe freestyle started out as feel free to eat where you want and when you want. One doesn't have to miss anything, just look at the schedules and go to what you want, while eating when you want to accommodate what you want to do, not what NCL tells you what you have to do. Out of all the complaints I've read on here, missing out on things hasn't been one of them, so I don't think it will be an issue for new cruisers especially if the can read the dallies.

I know what you mean. It just doesn't live up to the hype, just like...

McDonald's, "I'm lovin' it" -- I don't really love it. Like maybe. It's just fast food.

KFC, "It's finger lickin' good" -- I didn't lick my fingers once.

Milk, "Got Milk?" -- yes, I have plenty, thank you, if you must know.

Army, "Be all you can be" -- not so much; they had a lot of rules and regulations.

GEICO, "15 minutes could save you 15% on car insurance" -- nope, only 12%.

See what I mean?

Edited by hawk1972

Out of all the complaints I've read on here, missing out on things hasn't been one of them, so I don't think it will be an issue for new cruisers especially if the can read the dallies.

I've read plenty of reviews where people have mentioned they missed out on activities/shows or restaurants were full because they didn't plan ahead ... and they wished they had done so. Nuff said.

I finally got to see the video and hear the audio. It's Pitbull! (Escape's Godfather.) :) Perfectly acceptable, and of a similar tone to RCI's new commercials. Much better than anything coming out of Carnival Corp. But I confess I have a reflexive need to hear "cruise...like a Norwegian.." at the end of every commercial.

Ah!! The habitual complainers are still here in the new year. Welcome back. Or, please go to the RCCL or Princess or Celebrity line thread of your choice. If you find a cheaper cruise, including specialty restaurants, and your drinks, BUY IT. I doubt you will.

I would not complain if there was one shred of truth in NCL's ads and emails.

They sent my son an email stating they were reinstating his expired cruise reward deposit and he could use it or transfer it to someone else. BFD When he tried to transfer it to my wife and I, they said it was NOT TRANSFERRABLE. Steve Stitt would not respond to my questions and said I misunderstood the email. Yes !! I feel very justified in complaining about that kind of BS----- Same as the stuff they say is FREE !!!

Edited by swedish weave

I'm free to do what I want on any ol' cruise. :p However, I'm sticking to NCL for 2016. I love the commercial and the way NCL incorporated Pitbull and the Escape. Nice job NCL!! :D

Edited by DavyB

McDonald's, "I'm lovin' it" -- I don't really love it. Like maybe. It's just fast food.

Army, "Be all you can be" -- not so much; they had a lot of rules and regulations.

See what I mean?

My favorite of all time.....where's the beef? Lol

Unfortunately it's welded onto the side of some of the ships. :p

Nothing a few cans of paint can't fix.

Next time you're at GSC, check out the Little Norways. In the right light, you can see several generations of NCL logos that have been painted out. They're still there, visible in the right light!

See what I mean?

You forgot "Join the Navy and see the world" (without mentioning that 70% of the world is water:)).

I agree but think we are in the minority in that thinking.

I certainly don't feel like I got a bargain on my upcoming cruise. I would much rather have a cheaper rate than one of the "FREE" options.

I don't ever remember me paying such a high amount to cruise in the beginning of February.

Bill

I feel exactly the same way about booking NCL Gem's January,2016 sailing. I know nobody twisted my arm, but I had two NCS (Next Cruise Cert.) and NCL was allowing to use both for one booking on sailings prior to Feb., 2016 and I felt trapped. I saw much better priced cruises and itineraries on different lines (RCCL, Celebrity) but $500 being tied up in NCS and the bait of "Free Promo" for which we paid additional $230 (UDP for 10 day cruise)... Anyway, I made a decision not to buy NCS on this sailing. I want to have more freedom in my decision making process and not tie myself up with any cruise company. At the end we paid more for this sailing then it is worth (versus other cruises we went on previously). :(

Ah!! The habitual complainers are still here in the new year. Welcome back. Or, please go to the RCCL or Princess or Celebrity line thread of your choice. If you find a cheaper cruise, including specialty restaurants, and your drinks, BUY IT. I doubt you will.

When you include all this stuff I think you are right they are hard to beat. I do hope someone picks up where NCL is leaving off and offers down a stripped down cruise with a low starting price and then give me the choice if I want the drink package, dining package, ect. It is so obvious they are simply baking in the price of these "free" perks into the price. My fingers crossed their marketing approach is unsuccessful so they don't continue it.

I am intrigued to see how the a la carte concept works for my DW and me on our upcoming cruise. The pricing is going to be a big part. I did notice last May on our cruise the UDP seemed to affect quality of food and ease of getting a table, both were far worse than the year before. I do hope eliminating the UDP and taking this path that quality goes back up and it doesn't require the necessity to make reservations further out like had to be done last year (unless you wanted to wait quite awhile many times).

Edited by kdzkatz