Metal Mailboxes?

CleoT

The problem is that on occasion your steward will take everything from your mailbox and put it inside the cabin on the desk or bed.

Those pesky stewards. And they even leave chocolate and towel animals! You're right, I didn't think about them moving the mail inside.

Krazy Kruizer, you are amazing! You actually had a picture of the mail box!

Have you had this picture on file waiting for someone to ask about the mailbox?

I have found your posts to be most informative and very helpful. And I have never seen one in which I thought you were rude or even impatient. I can't say that for everyone here at CC.

I have taken photos of things on ships that I thought might be on interest and that somebody might ask questions about. My DH thinks I am a bit nuts. :)

My most popular picture here has been one that I took to show the difference between the plexi glass railings and the steel railings. We were next to friends and had the partition open between the two so I decided that could be a handy picture:

9kxojp.jpg

I have taken photos of things on ships that I thought might be on interest and that somebody might ask questions about. My DH thinks I am a bit nuts. :)

You are, but in a good way. ;)

Peter, I do this too, but have no good filing system and usually end up digitally "leafing" through hundreds of photos!

Someday I will be organized!

I love it when people add (pertinent) photos!

Peter, I do this too, but have no good filing system and usually end up digitally "leafing" through hundreds of photos!

Someday I will be organized!

I love it when people add (pertinent) photos!

Instead of storing pictures just on my computer, I also store them on photobucket. I have an album for each group of pictures like: 2013 Westerdam ship pictures, 2013 Westerdam cruise pictures, etc.

Easy to find what I am looking for.

I often take pictures that answer questions that have been asked often in the past ... like "no jogging" signs on Vista and Sig ship promenades. My DW also thinks I'm a bit nuts for doing that ... and other things! :)

I know it's old-school, but what about slipping notes under the door? Before the mailboxes, that's how every piece of paper was delivered to rooms. If the kids are going to the room to look for messages, it only takes a few seconds to open the door and look for a note.

Leaving voice mail would be better if you could access messages from a house phone, but I don't think the system does that.

I've often thought ships should set up some kind of internal communication/information system that could be accessed from anywhere. Kiosks around the ship with the day's activities, menus, and a portal to access messages. Type in last name, cabin number, password and your messages pop up.

There is a "bulletin board" in the Crow's Nest where messages for other passengers can be left.

• 6 months later...
There is a "bulletin board" in the Crow's Nest where messages for other passengers can be left.

Kevin because you've been on the Oosterdam a couple of times, you're my ideal person to ask--but others who know please feel free to chime in!

Once upon a time there were REAL (not digital) bulletin boards where folks could post notices: special meetings, looking for poker buddies, etc. It was like an actual flipchart-style board on an easel near the movie theater...

The reason I need to know is we're trying to recruit more folks for a non-ship tour and may not have enough folks to make it go before we board. So posting a message on such a board might help us recruit more folks... (I already considered trying to recruit from the roll calls for other ships in port that day--alas, there are none.)

Downside of course--since I've also seen a post or two about such a board near guest services--is that the hotel folks may not want to have pax see competition against the ship's tours. Feedback? Thoughts? Thanks!

Edited by sofietucker

We have always been cautioned not to talk about CC "non-ship" tours at M&G's (i.e. in the presence of ship's personnel) -- so I would think posting recruitment for such on a visible bulletin board would be frowned on (and probably removed) -- no matter where the bulletin board was located.

Kevin because you've been on the Oosterdam a couple of times, you're my ideal person to ask--but others who know please feel free to chime in!

Once upon a time there were REAL (not digital) bulletin boards where folks could post notices: special meetings, looking for poker buddies, etc. It was like an actual flipchart-style board on an easel near the movie theater...

The reason I need to know is we're trying to recruit more folks for a non-ship tour and may not have enough folks to make it go before we board. So posting a message on such a board might help us recruit more folks... (I already considered trying to recruit from the roll calls for other ships in port that day--alas, there are none.)

Downside of course--since I've also seen a post or two about such a board near guest services--is that the hotel folks may not want to have pax see competition against the ship's tours. Feedback? Thoughts? Thanks!

The ones you see near the front desk are for groups traveling together -- not for the general public. They are just reminders from the leader as to what time they may have a cocktail party planned -- maybe a lunch together in the dining room, etc. But even those boards have been discouraged by the ships.

HAL does not want people advertising private tours.

The ones you see near the front desk are for groups traveling together -- not for the general public. They are just reminders from the leader as to what time they may have a cocktail party planned -- maybe a lunch together in the dining room, etc. But even those boards have been discouraged by the ships.

HAL does not want people advertising private tours.

Good poingt. HAL is in ghe business of selling excursions. No deason tthey would want to help people organize private gttoursv

r

I think your best bet is to continue using the roll call option. We've also had sucess recruiting excursion partners right on the pier after we leave the ship. Good luck and have a great time!

[quote name='CleoT']We will be on the Westerdam for the January 23rd sailing. This is my 4th cruise and our kids' 2nd. Our kids are 17 & 15 and this time they will be in the cabin across from us. I'm working on a low-tech way to keep in touch and am wondering if the mailboxes outside the door are made of metal.s.[/QUOTE]

Not all metals attract magnets.

DON