Metal Mailboxes?

CleoT

We will be on the Westerdam for the January 23rd sailing. This is my 4th cruise and our kids' 2nd. Our kids are 17 & 15 and this time they will be in the cabin across from us. I'm working on a low-tech way to keep in touch and am wondering if the mailboxes outside the door are made of metal. I have researched and know that the doors aren't so much but I'd like to bring along magnets that can hold a note clipped to it which could be attached to the inside of the mailbox to be more discreet, leave messages in a more private manner, yet not allow a small piece of paper to slip out the bottom or get stuck in any mail/daily schedule/whatever. It's no big deal if not but I have these magnets and thought about it tonight.

I'm a big lurker here and love keeping up by reading everyone's posts. The kids' first cruise was on the Eurodam 5 years ago. Our son is graduating high school in May and when we told him to pick anywhere (within reason) for a trip he didn't hesitate to say a cruise. Although we booked months ago, we've only just this week been able to plan (we had a big home remodel then the holiday season) but now we're all getting so excited!!

Thanks for any responses/suggestions.

I know it's old-school, but what about slipping notes under the door? Before the mailboxes, that's how every piece of paper was delivered to rooms. If the kids are going to the room to look for messages, it only takes a few seconds to open the door and look for a note.

Leaving voice mail would be better if you could access messages from a house phone, but I don't think the system does that.

I've often thought ships should set up some kind of internal communication/information system that could be accessed from anywhere. Kiosks around the ship with the day's activities, menus, and a portal to access messages. Type in last name, cabin number, password and your messages pop up.

Great ideas, everyone. Thanks so much for the replies. And Krazy Kruisers, that pic helps a lot. I think I like the envelope idea best. And I agree, it would be wonderful if there was a way to get voice messages from any phone on the ship, but I figure it's too complicated or they would have done it already?

I keep post-it notes and a pen by the mirror in the cabin. Have a message, put it on the mirror. Got the message, put it in the trash.

That's what we use. But on our last cruise we had adjoining verandah cabins with the kids, so we left the message stuck to the outside of the verandah door.

I keep post-it notes and a pen by the mirror in the cabin. Have a message, put it on the mirror. Got the message, put it in the trash.

This system has worked well for us...

I like to get up early and it lets the other person know where they can find me.......dining room, lido, aft pool or taking a class.....

I used this method when I traveled with my niece. I left her messages on the mirror and she left me messages on the door. It was funny, I came back to the room just as the room steward walked by. He read me my message :-D

Luckily - it didn't say anything revealing- only "okie dokie"

We will be on the Westerdam for the January 23rd sailing. This is my 4th cruise and our kids' 2nd. Our kids are 17 & 15 and this time they will be in the cabin across from us. I'm working on a low-tech way to keep in touch and am wondering if the mailboxes outside the door are made of metal. I have researched and know that the doors aren't so much but I'd like to bring along magnets that can hold a note clipped to it which could be attached to the inside of the mailbox to be more discreet, leave messages in a more private manner, yet not allow a small piece of paper to slip out the bottom or get stuck in any mail/daily schedule/whatever. It's no big deal if not but I have these magnets and thought about it tonight.

Thanks for any responses/suggestions.

Here's a suggestion: just tape an empty envelope to the door and place your notes in them. We have done this in places where there are no mailboxes, and it works well. If I recall correctly, I believe the mail slots outside the door are heavy plastic, so the envelope taped to the door works well!

There are several different styles of the mail boxes, this is just one of them but it will give you an idea of what they look like.

Noordam2014162_zps2c26e977.jpg

Krazy Kruizer, you are amazing! You actually had a picture of the mail box!

Have you had this picture on file waiting for someone to ask about the mailbox?

I have found your posts to be most informative and very helpful. And I have never seen one in which I thought you were rude or even impatient. I can't say that for everyone here at CC.

I have found your posts to be most informative and very helpful. And I have never seen one in which I thought you were rude or even impatient. I can't say that for everyone here at CC.

Not to be a wet rag but is there some way for us to know if there might be double sided tape on that sign. Maybe it is metal but I'm not sure this absolutely makes it so. :shrug:

Thank you

Actually I took this picture because there have been people talking about service dogs (and other pets) and I wanted to show what was placed on one mail box (not ours) indicating that there was a service dog in the cabin. It was done by the crew. We have sailed a few times with this service dog.

Don't slide post-a-notes under the door. They have that one section that may make it difficult to slide under the door.

Also crew members do come and go and they may accidently step on the post-a-note which is small and could possibly throw it out.

Use envelopes to slide under the door -- cabin stewards will put them on the desk.

I like the idea of using envelopes, and then you can just put them in the mailbox. If things change before the message is picked up, you can just take the envelope and update the contents so they have the latest information.
The problem is that on occasion your steward will take everything from your mailbox and put it inside the cabin on the desk or bed.