Hubby can't go with me, what to do now??

Shilee11

Hi guys, hubby got his vacation request denied!! Our cruise is in a month, relatives are in the cabin next door.. No one else can come with me, I see that everyone says the best thing to do is for my hubby to just be a no show, do I still check him in online? What the heck do I say? He didn't get on the shuttle with me? I was hoping to at least maybe getting his flight tickets as a credit or something if possible through the airline. When you check in online you have to put the flight numbers and everything, I really don't know what to do here :(

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Hi guys, hubby got his vacation request denied!! Our cruise is in a month, relatives are in the cabin next door.. No one else can come with me, I see that everyone says the best thing to do is for my hubby to just be a no show, do I still check him in online? What the heck do I say? He didn't get on the shuttle with me? I was hoping to at least maybe getting his flight tickets as a credit or something if possible through the airline. When you check in online you have to put the flight numbers and everything, I really don't know what to do here :(

Did you book your flights through Carnival? If not, and they are not on Southwest Airlines, the chances of getting a credit for the airline ticket is minimal.

When you check in online, you do not need to put your flight information down. Just put down personal travel arrangements and go with that.

It IS best to just have hubby be a no-show if you can't find anyone else to replace him in the cabin. You should get a cabin credit for his gov't taxes, or they should go back to your credit card. Also, if you leave him as a no-show, you can always do a name change if someone IS able to go with you closer to sailing. BTW, you can do a name change up to 1 day prior to sailing. If you booked through a TA they can/should be able to do this for you for free. If you booked direct through Carnival, they may want to charge you $50 to do a name change.

Edited by jakesnana

Wow that really sucks. Did your hubby request the time off before booking cruise and flight ? Did employer suddenly change their mind ? Hope all goes well

Ya I figured we wouldn't have much luck with the flights, he put his vacation in at the beginning of Nov, he didn't hear anything so he figured there was no problem, yesterday they told him it was denied!! What do I say to Carnival? He didn't get on the plane?

Ya I figured we wouldn't have much luck with the flights, he put his vacation in at the beginning of Nov, he didn't hear anything so he figured there was no problem, yesterday they told him it was denied!! What do I say to Carnival? He didn't get on the plane?

I would tell Carnival the truth, all arrangements were made, and at the last minute your husband's firm denied him his vacation time so you traveled alone.

Most airlines provide a credit if the flight is cancelled before take off...so if it is definite that he cannot go, I would cancel them the night before you leave, you may have to pay a change fee when you go to use the credit, but a small credit is better than nothing.

Is there any chance the firm your husband works for may change their decision between now and then?

I would tell Carnival the truth, all arrangements were made, and at the last minute your husband's firm denied him his vacation time so you traveled alone.

Most airlines provide a credit if the flight is cancelled before take off...so if it is definite that he cannot go, I would cancel them the night before you leave, you may have to pay a change fee when you go to use the credit, but a small credit is better than nothing.

Is there any chance the firm your husband works for may change their decision between now and then?

Also, see section 6 of the Carnival Ticket Contract:

http://www.carnival.com/about-carnival/legal-notice/ticket-contract.aspx

It appears that as far as Carnival is concerned, they just don't offer a refund.

Do you have travel insurance? If so, many policies will pay for "Cancel for work reasons".

If not, then have him be a no show Just tell them at the port he's not coming. We had to do this once. Taxes/port fees and gratuities were refunded back to the CC we paid final payment with before we got back from our cruise.

It sounds like you are still planning on going, no? If so, Carnival is going to treat you as a solo passenger (so double fare), but like others said, you should just get his taxes/fees refunded.

It too bad hubby can't travel with you, sorry about that; however, there is a bright side to this. Having a cabin to yourself is awesome! You can spread out and you get the entire bathroom. :)

Ya I'm still going because I have relatives in the cabin next to me, if they weren't going, I wouldn't be either, this is the 1 cruise we take per year so I'm upset about it, I told him he should of never just assumed it was approved ..

To all of those who don't think trip insurance is important and that nothing will ever happen to you or others traveling with you, spending an additional $200 to get the insurance is better than losing all of your money. How often do we read about these kinds of scenarios here at CC?

Let's not start another Insurance discussion.

firemanbobswife[/url] user_offline.gif

5,000+ Club

im_yahoo.gif

icon1.gif

Do you have travel insurance? If so, many policies will pay for "Cancel for work reasons". ]

That's why I brought it up.:rolleyes:

[...]

It IS best to just have hubby be a no-show if you can't find anyone else to replace him in the cabin. You should get a cabin credit for his gov't taxes, or they should go back to your credit card. Also, if you leave him as a no-show, you can always do a name change if someone IS able to go with you closer to sailing. BTW, you can do a name change up to 1 day prior to sailing. If you booked through a TA they can/should be able to do this for you for free. If you booked direct through Carnival, they may want to charge you $50 to do a name change.

This cannot be the first time this has happened. Has anyone reading ever done a switch to a replacement cruiser?

Get him to show them at work that he has a paid in full non refundable vacation and maybe they can work with him.

He should be a no show at the pier, you can tell them anything you want like he went back to car to get something, he's outside having a smoke, he is coming to check in later etc. If you tell them in advance that he is not coming they will cancel him and charge YOU the single supplement. Since you don't have insurance no show is the best way.

I just thought of something, what if I cancelled my husband and myself and other 2 relatives could go into a suite? I wonder how much more that would cost? There are a couple suites left..

I just thought of something, what if I cancelled my husband and myself and other 2 relatives could go into a suite? I wonder how much more that would cost? There are a couple suites left..

If you cancelled yourself and your husband at this point, you would have a large penalty. You say the cruise is in a month. If you cancel 30-55 days prior, you would lose 50% of the cruise fare. 15-29 days you would lose 75%, and 0-14 days you would lose 100%. Probably not a viable option. Also, some posters mentioned doing a name change for $50.00. If you are booked early saver that won't work because no name changes are allowed on ES. Probably best to have hubby be a no-show and enjoy cruising solo with your relatives.

Edited by nwcruiselover