SDP if you miss your reservation?

mikemc1231

With the SDP if we miss a reservation at a specialty restaurant do you loose that meal from your package? For instance I have Bayamo booked but if someone in the family is not thrilled with the menu can I just cancel at the last minute. I am just worried about being charged and or loosing the meal from our package

Edited by mikemc1231

For instance I have Bayamo booked but if someone in the family is not thrilled with the menu can I just cancel at the last minute.
The menus are available on board from the start of the cruise, or you can find them posted here weeks/months before you sail. There are unexpected things that come up that justify a last-minute cancellation, but this is not one of them.

In the 'olden' days you were charged the "cover charge" on your account if you failed to cancel outside the 24 hours or if you failed to turn up.

Beside losing the meal on your plan I wonder if there is still a financial "charge/penalty".

We have booked some meals without a plan and would expect a charge if we failed to cancel or turn up. I wonder what the 'penalty' would be.

Mike

I understand in the old days if you didn't have a dining package and just paid individually and cancelled late you lost your money. However, looking at both the FAQ's and T/C's for the SDP it does not mention anywhere that you will lose a meal off your plan if you cancel.

https://www.ncl.com/specialty-dining-package/faq

Just wondering where folks were getting that info from.

Thanks.

In the 'olden' days you were charged the "cover charge" on your account if you failed to cancel outside the 24 hours or if you failed to turn up.

Beside losing the meal on your plan I wonder if there is still a financial "charge/penalty".

We have booked some meals without a plan and would expect a charge if we failed to cancel or turn up. I wonder what the 'penalty' would be.

Mike

Mike,

Here are the T & C for specialty dining...

================================

Dining Terms & Conditions

Refunds and Cancellation Fees

For standard dinner reservations, cancellations of dinner reservations must be made no later than 24 hours prior to the scheduled dining time. If cancellation occurs with less than 24 hours’ notice, the full price of the cover per guest will be charged to the guest's folio.

For pre-paid reservations, cancellations must be made no later than 24 hours prior to the scheduled dining time to receive a full refund. If cancellation occurs with less than 24 hours’ notice, no refund will be issued.

For Ultimate Dining Packages, no refunds are available if fewer restaurants are visited.

To ensure that our guests receive our best service, we can only hold your dinner reservation for 15 minutes. After 15 minutes, the unclaimed reservation will be released. For standard dinner reservations, the full price of the cover per guest will be charged to the guest's folio. For pre-paid reservations, no refund will be issued.

==================================

If you no-showed on a reservation you made on board, you are charged the per person cover charge, but it doesn't sound like you would lose one of your SDP dines. On the other hand, if you reserved online and used one of your SDP meals (or a credit card) you would be out of luck.

Vince

They can sometimes be a bit more flexible on board, although I'm sure you shouldn't rely on that.

I missed a booking one day without notice and went to another, unbooked restaurant the day after fully expecting to be charged for both. Instead they very kindly just counted it as one booking covered by the SDP. Very lucky.

The menus are all available right from the start though, so you should be able to make sure everyone is happy with them before you hit the cancellation period (after day 1 anyway).

If anyone is interested in "old" menus; they may be up to date with foods but there is no a la carte pricing:-

NCL.com

"Specials" "Free at Sea Promotion"

Scroll Down to "FAQ" "Top Questions We Get Asked"

"What dining options are available and where can I see the menus?" click +

Then you can look at lots of the restaurants, not perfect but good enough to give you a great idea.

Mike

For those interested, the Beyondships2 website has the a la carte pricing menus for the specialty restaurants listed in case you wish to check them out.http://www.beyondships2.com/uploads/8/2/4/5/8245255/30967_cagneys_escape_dinner_menu.pdf

Edited by SNJCruisers

I don't think I have ever heard of anyone being penalized in any way for a late cancellation or no-show. One problem is that they typically only have one name associated with each booking, i.e. the person who makes the reservation. Would that one person get charged for everyone in the party? Or would they ask you for everyone else's names so each person could be penalized individually?

In the case of a pre-paid reservation, people are probably less likely to no-show, but even if you do, I would imagine that if you ask nicely (and come up with a sufficiently convincing excuse) they will let you reschedule after the fact instead of just throwing the rule at you and keeping your money.

I tend to think that the rule is there mostly for show, and they only apply it in really egregious cases. But if it becomes a big problem (for example now that everyone can reserve the new à la carte venues for free online), they will have to get stricter.

With the SDP if we miss a reservation at a specialty restaurant do you loose that meal from your package? For instance I have Bayamo booked but if someone in the family is not thrilled with the menu can I just cancel at the last minute. I am just worried about being charged and or loosing the meal from our package

If your meal is loose just have your waiter tighten it up for you!

The reason you don't want to do this is because its inconsiderate of other passengers. If I try to book a time at a specialty restaurant and can't get in, I might have been able to if someone was courteous enough to cancel their reservation instead of simply no-showing. Don't worry about the fee, just do it to be a nice person.

However, NCL while threatening to charge if not canceled outside of 24 hours, will let you CHANGE a reservation to another restaurant/day without penalty when less than 24 hours.