Train to Civitavecchia from Rome

Daisyloo

I'm looking at taking the train from Rome to the port at Civitavecchia for our cruise on the Koningsdam. I was looking at the train schedules, and noticed that you can choose either a second class (ordinary) ticket for 5 euros, or a first class ticket for 7.70 euros. Nowhere on the site can I see what the difference is between the two tickets. Does anyone have any info?

Some have suggested there is more room for luggage storage on the first class car(s), but I think it depends somewhat as the train system seems to use a variety of stock.

Be that as it may, for the slight difference in cost you might as well get the first class ticket (assuming first class is available for the train you want).

I'm looking at taking the train from Rome to the port at Civitavecchia for our cruise on the Koningsdam. I was looking at the train schedules, and noticed that you can choose either a second class (ordinary) ticket for 5 euros, or a first class ticket for 7.70 euros. Nowhere on the site can I see what the difference is between the two tickets. Does anyone have any info?

Great suggestion. Last time in Rome before a TA we just paid for a private car to Civitavecchia. I need to do a little research on the train. How often does it run and where the station is at both ends. Never gave this a thought. Thanks.

"Great suggestion. Last time in Rome before a TA we just paid for a private car to Civitavecchia. I need to do a little research on the train. How often does it run and where the station is at both ends. Never gave this a thought. Thanks."

Private transfers are very expensive and if we can save on that cost we feel it will give us more to play with later.

I have a friend who has done the train twice from Rome to Civitavecchia and says it is easy to do and efficient. She suggests buying your tickets the day before you want to travel, assuming you are staying in Rome a day or two pre-cruise. She says go to Termini station the day before and get tickets from a ticket machine. She says it is easy and English is one of the language choices on the machines. She also used this visit to look around Termini to familiarize herself with where the platform she needed was. Also, beware of pickpockets, but this applies to all of Rome.

Termini station is the main transportation hub of Rome and you can get a train to Civitavecchia from here easily. I looked online and it looks like a train leaves Termini twice an hour for Civitavecchia, and the trip takes about 1.25 hours. The station in Civitavecchia is approximately a 10 minute walk to the port gates over flat sidewalk. Once at the port gates there are shuttles to take you to each ship.

Just google "train to Civitavecchia from Rome" and all sorts of info will come up.

Thanks for the info. We are doing this in October. I had heard that the shuttles to the ships were no longer right at the port gates which concerned me. However, if they are still right inside, then this is a very easy thing to do.....thanks.

Doug

Thanks for the info. We are doing this in October. I had heard that the shuttles to the ships were no longer right at the port gates which concerned me. However, if they are still right inside, then this is a very easy thing to do.....thanks.

Doug

I don't know when you were last there, but the port entrance at Civitavecchia has changed (about 2 years ago). It is farther from the train station. But there is a bus you can take (for 80 euro cents per person) to the new entrance and then you can take the free port shuttle to your ship, same as before.

Just don't expect the entrance to be at the fort!

Don't wish to hijack the OPs thread, but as I understand it, when we dock in civitavecchia we would need to get a bus to the train station, then a train to Rome, then vice versa returning to the ship.

Is this a viable alternative to taking a expensive ship trip (usual caveats about timings etc)?

Doug

You are correct on this. They now don't let you go in and out of the original port gate. Now you must take a shuttle to the Port Bus pick-up area. I think the ticket was l.8 euros for the shuttle to the Port Bus pick-up area. The port bus to the cruise ship is free. I think they decided this would make them some money, and I'm sure it has. It was much easier for cruisers before because all we had to do was walk from the train station about four blocks to the Port Gate and get on the Free bus to the ship. Now it is a slightly longer process. It is walkable to the Free Bus for Port area, but only if you know how to get there. My husband and I do because we have done it before. If you have much luggage, though, I would definitely just do the shuttle (l.8 euros) to the Free Bus to ship Pick-up area!

Don't wish to hijack the OPs thread, but as I understand it, when we dock in civitavecchia we would need to get a bus to the train station, then a train to Rome, then vice versa returning to the ship.

Is this a viable alternative to taking a expensive ship trip (usual caveats about timings etc)?[/QI

If you are taking the train to Rome, you might want to get a BIRG ticket. It includes your return trip to Civitavecchia, and also rides on the buses and metro in Rome. Always VALIDATE your ticket before you get on the train. If you are checked, and you haven't validated your ticket, you will be fined on the spot. It used to be a 40 euro fine, per person, but I've heard it has gone up. If you wish to see Vatican City first, get off at the San Pietro Station. It is a short walk from there to the Vatican. Afternoon trains can be very crowded, so we usually get on at Termini Station for the ride back to Civitavecchia. That train is usually on track 27, or so. It is a long walk to the back of the station, so allow time to get there. The trains run about every 30 min. so if you miss one, catch the next one.

You are correct on this. They now don't let you go in and out of the original port gate. Now you must take a shuttle to the Port Bus pick-up area. I think the ticket was l.8 euros for the shuttle to the Port Bus pick-up area. The port bus to the cruise ship is free. I think they decided this would make them some money, and I'm sure it has. It was much easier for cruisers before because all we had to do was walk from the train station about four blocks to the Port Gate and get on the Free bus to the ship. Now it is a slightly longer process. It is walkable to the Free Bus for Port area, but only if you know how to get there. My husband and I do because we have done it before. If you have much luggage, though, I would definitely just do the shuttle (l.8 euros) to the Free Bus to ship Pick-up area!

Unless they raised the bus fare in 2016, it is 80 euro cents per person.

Is the bus from the Civi train just a regular city bus or is there a specific bus? If so, how to recognize it?

The last time we were there, it was out the front door of the train station, go right and you should see a sign. Wait there for the bus to come. Buy your .80 cent euro ticket inside the train station. I think we got ours at the snack area in the station.

• 1 month later...

Thank you for the info from the port into Rome. We did a Rome in Limo tour last time but this time we just want to do our own thing.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Doug

Doug, Wayne/Trudy here. We are doing the Reflection Oct 121 TA out of Civitavecchia. Taking train from FCO to port. Be aware they moved the shuttle service from Michelangelo up to the Hotel Traghetto area.