First solo cruise (11th overall) HELP ME PICK!!

pbmsmile

I have decided to go on my first solo cruise next year for Spring Break or the week before Easter. My hubby and I (both teachers) have breaks on different weeks this next year so I am going to go on my own. I actually have a split break so I can choose either of these time frames.

My question is.... which ship?? I really don't care what the itinerary is because for the most part I have been to all of the places that Carnival stops. I am not a big drinker (except for a few frozen concoctions) but would love good food choices, lots of down time to tan and read, love the Dive In movie, and am very social :D. What is your FAVORITE ship and WHY??? I have been contemplating a solo for a few years and CAN NOT WAIT FOR THIS ADVENTURE!!!!!

I have decided to go on my first solo cruise next year for Spring Break or the week before Easter. My hubby and I (both teachers) have breaks on different weeks this next year so I am going to go on my own. I actually have a split break so I can choose either of these time frames.

My question is.... which ship?? I really don't care what the itinerary is because for the most part I have been to all of the places that Carnival stops. I am not a big drinker (except for a few frozen concoctions) but would love good food choices, lots of down time to tan and read, love the Dive In movie, and am very social :D. What is your FAVORITE ship and WHY??? I have been contemplating a solo for a few years and CAN NOT WAIT FOR THIS ADVENTURE!!!!!

I love to cruise solo. My advice is to chose a ship and itinerary just like you would if you weren't cruising solo. Just go with what you love to do.

I cruised solo on the Valor over spring break 2 years ago to the southern carribbean. It was a 7 day cruise ... last year I did a 5 day out of Miami ... found a much, much better group of travelers on the Valor ... many more solo travelers ... still friends with many of them! And the ports were by far the best of all my cruises!

Going solo, I would recommend an itinerary that has stops in ports that has the beach right next to the ship such as: HMC, Grand Turk and Roatan. These are 3 fun ports that offer the convenience of the beach by the ship. You can go to the beach at your leisure. I stay on board in the morning and enjoy an empty ship. I head to the beach in the early afternoon after passengers start going back on board for lunch and I stay at the beach until the last tender on HMC or 30 minutes before departure on Grand Turk and Roatan.:cool:

I like the ships that have the Alchemy Bar, the Blue Iguana Bar and the Red Frog Pub. There are always nice people to meet there.

I like to cruise on ships with the steakhouse. I usually hook up with a group that plan to dine there.

Karaoke and the piano bar are 2 other venues that have a nice crowd to mingle with.

Solo cruising is fun because you get to meet up with fun people but you can also spend some alone time if you want.

Enjoy your solo cruise!:cool:

Edited by JohnSpo

My favorite ships are the Spirit class ships. I loved both the Spirit and the Legend and am scheduled on the Pride next year.

I haven't ever done a solo cruise, but if I was, I'd look at the roll calls. Since you are very social, it would give you an idea of what the other cruisers you'd be with are like. For example: One of my favorite Carnival cruises was on the Legend a couple of years ago. CruisinpsychRN was on that cruise & she was fun. It was a really fun cruise partly because of the people.

Just my 2 cents... or 2 nickels... or... maybe (because of inflation) Quarters!

I've probably cruised solo over 20 times, mostly on Conquest class ships. However, I was recently on the Magic, and that became my favorite Carnival ship.

It had more food venues, open spaces, a 5th deck walkaround, new, clean and modern.

Sunshine has all the food venues, no other ship does. Mixed reviews.

I've been cruising solo for a few years now and really love it. No one else's time schedule or preference of activity.

The Sunshine is one of my favorites! I had planned to do my first SOLO on her last year but ended up inviting my mom and sister and we had a blast!

I hear ya on the solo. Love them! (Doing the Panama Canal 13 days in Jan 2017) :)

Anyway, what is your budget? You will most likely be paying a double supplement, and depending on what type room you pick and length of cruise, your fare could be up there, especially for spring break/Easter. Since you don't seem to care what ship/itin, I would look at the fares first.

But good luck - you will love solo cruising. :)

I cruise SOLO quite often, as well, due to scheduling of my wife's business. I ALWAYS have a GREAT time aboard "Dream" out of New Orleans. Might be a bit closer to you in the Midwest as well. In any case, you won't go wrong with "DREAM". ;)

"SKY"