NCL Star Penthouse Suite

overeazy1

Have been looking at a cruise on the Star and I see they have suites on the very front of ship or the very back. Trying to figure out the advantages or disadvantages of either of them and wondering why the ones in the back are higher price. Also wondering about the Butler and concierge service. Not sure what I should be able to ask them to do or expect from them. Is it something that I will only get what I ask for or do they offer to do things. I don't like to be demanding of people but a few extra perks would be nice. Don't want to high jack this thread about tipping them only want know the things they should be doing so I know the level of service I was getting to base the tip on. Thanks

We've cruised in both forward and aft penthouses, and each has their own particular advantages.

The forward penthouse balconies on this class of ships is enormous. Combine that with the unobstructed view of where you're going, and you may sit out there and feel like you're on your own personal cruise ship. The minuses are that these balconies can be very windy when the ship is underway, and on some cruises (Alaska) this can translate to cold.

The aft penthouse balconies are not as big, but they are still spacious. Since you're cruising behind the ship, the wind is not a problem. Minuses are that you may feel more vibration from the engines, and on some ships the aft balconies can be overlooked from the buffet above.

Personally, we love the forward penthouses. But I'd say more people seem to prefer the aft penthouses, and that's why they're priced accordingly.

As to the butler and concierge: Look at this way. They can do as much or as little for you as you want. The butler takes care of anything to do with your cabin. He/she resupplies your Lavazza espresso machine, brings snacks, fruit, meals you order...just about anything to do with your comfort in your cabin.

The concierge takes care of everything outside of the cabin, from specialty restaurant reservations to priority disembarkation at ports, to booking last minute shore excursions.

You will find that both the butler and the concierge will inquire about your comfort and your needs, but if they're good, they won't be pushy about it. They are usually very experienced at this, and will quickly figure out if you like the attention or not.

As for tipping, that is entirely up to you. The butler and the concierge do not participate in the gratuity pool. So if you feel their service has been above and beyond, you might want to show your appreciation.

Have been looking at a cruise on the Star and I see they have suites on the very front of ship or the very back. Trying to figure out the advantages or disadvantages of either of them and wondering why the ones in the back are higher price. Also wondering about the Butler and concierge service. Not sure what I should be able to ask them to do or expect from them. Is it something that I will only get what I ask for or do they offer to do things. I don't like to be demanding of people but a few extra perks would be nice. Don't want to high jack this thread about tipping them only want know the things they should be doing so I know the level of service I was getting to base the tip on. Thanks

We sailed in 9732 and loved the cabin. We took my adult DSD with us and there was room for all three of us. We saw lots of whales and dolphins which is not counting the flying fish from our aft penthouse balcony. I had my binoculars with me and it was a really nice off and on sea show. We are booked in another aft penthouse similar to this one except the starboard rather than aft. The wrap is enough room to walk around and you can take a chair and sit but it is a skinny area. We had two chairs, two loungers, and a small cocktail table on our balcony.Deck 9 is buffered by staterooms above and below. Noise was never an issue nor the soot that was reported by some CC posters. We have never stayed forward only visited. It would be hard to get me to give up the wake.

The previous poster summed up the butler/concierge nicely. We do not ask for much but anything we requested came quickly. I loved a turkey sandwich with chips when we returned in the afternoon and it was brought pretty quick. I loved when the doorbell rang in the afternoon because it meant treats! ;)

Thanks for the replys. Sometimes I tend to overthink things. I was thinking the front looked larger with larger balcony but could wrap my mind around why the ones in the back would be more expensive then. Settled on 9636 since we couldn't get one with the wrap around deck. I enjoy just hanging out on the balcony sometimes drinking a cold beer watching the world go by. Of course since I have the beverage package it could put a little crimp into that. I use to just get a bucket of beer, head to the room and relax. With the BP you can't get buckets so it will be getting one and going back, paying for them out of the mini bar and just paying for a bucket anyways. No going to get so many that it will be that costly compared to everything else but hate the thought of paying for things twice. Are the prices in the mini bar different then at the bars?

As far as the butler would it be out of lined if in the evening I asked him if he could get a desert from one the speciality restaurants for us and put it in the fridge? I can see getting breakfast in the mornings but for dinner I would just as soon get out as eat in the room. Will they let us know what times we can get off the ship and where to go?

Thanks for the help.

Thanks for the replys. Sometimes I tend to overthink things. I was thinking the front looked larger with larger balcony but could wrap my mind around why the ones in the back would be more expensive then. Settled on 9636 since we couldn't get one with the wrap around deck. I enjoy just hanging out on the balcony sometimes drinking a cold beer watching the world go by. Of course since I have the beverage package it could put a little crimp into that. I use to just get a bucket of beer, head to the room and relax. With the BP you can't get buckets so it will be getting one and going back, paying for them out of the mini bar and just paying for a bucket anyways. No going to get so many that it will be that costly compared to everything else but hate the thought of paying for things twice. Are the prices in the mini bar different then at the bars?

As far as the butler would it be out of lined if in the evening I asked him if he could get a desert from one the speciality restaurants for us and put it in the fridge? I can see getting breakfast in the mornings but for dinner I would just as soon get out as eat in the room. Will they let us know what times we can get off the ship and where to go?

Thanks for the help.

We have the beverage package as well and yes unfortunately the bucket of beer is not included......however you can "Bar hop", getting drinks at each to bring back to your room ;) Yes, it's not as convenient but it IS free so take advantage. Your Butler will & can get you special desserts from Specialty restaurants...they also give you little treats (Chocolate covered Strawberries etc..) I've heard that the Butlers will unpack for you, so I don't think dessert is a stretch for them ;)

Enjoy your cruise!

Thanks so much, never though of just doing the bar hop on the way back but would like to think I might have caught on before it was over. Start at the front and work my way back and I will be set for the afternoon.

Hi

You will love whatever room you are in. It's a cruise. What 's not to love?

Are you in 9736 or 9236 maybe? 9636 is a side balcony but these other two are on the aft. We have been in 9736 and will be on deck 10 in just two weeks in a suite on the back again. My hubby LOVeS the back balcony and we just stumbled on a suite once because it was all that was available on the back and we've been sold on them ever since.

Your butler will be happy to bring you just about anything you want. We asked for very little so found that when we did ask for something it was always dealt with swiftly and so genuinely graciously. A bucket with ice to keep all that beer in might be your first request. ENJOY!

We sailed in 9732 and loved the cabin. We took my adult DSD with us and there was room for all three of us.

<snip>

I can't figure out what DSD means.

None of these from the Urban Dictionary seem to fit.

Do Some Damage

Daily Struggle Disease

Deloitte Shut Down

Dope Smoker's Disease

gary

Going to be in 9736. You going on the cruise at the end of the month? Will be a new experience for us at the very back and after reading some reviews I am glad we are not on Deck 8.

Edited by overeazy1

Like you, my wife and I did not take advantage of all of the services that the Butler and Concierge had to offer. We did use the concierge to book our shore excursions, dinner reservations, and entertainment. Suites also offers a myriad of other benefits. On the Star you will enjoy breakfast and lunch at Cagney's Steak House. The menus are limited but the food and service is exceptional. You also have access to a pre-cruise concierge (phone # 855-625-4283). She (or he) will arrange for first day requests such as special pillows, extra hangers, or unloading the pre-stocked items from your refrigerator. Of course you get priority boarding and unboarding as well as invitations for early entry into some special events like The Chocolate Buffet.

I didn't hear wake noise that bothered me on deck 9 so i am guessing 10 should be ok. I'll try to let you know when we return in April.

Thanks Linda! When are you going again? We are on the Jewel on April 24th..our first time in an aft penthouse. Sister's trip again :)

Thanks Linda! When are you going again? We are on the Jewel on April 24th..our first time in an aft penthouse. Sister's trip again :)

April 2nd to Cozumel, Belize, Roatan celebrating my birthday. We have an aft-wrap again starboard instead of port. Al and I loved the wide windows in your suite during the cabin crawl but I enjoy reading on the balcony too much. Maybe one day we will meet up with you guys again.

I haven't stayed in an AFT cabin but for an example of how noisy it can be take

a walk on the wild side - the jogging walking track on ships that have it. Stop

at the aft (Fan Tail) of the ship and take in the thundering thrust of the

propellers moving the ship along. Quite exhilarating but not all that noisy.

The jogging walking track is found on deck 7 (Promenade) on the DAWN and

the STAR and on deck 6 on the SUN. The next three decks up have the AFT

facing cabins (suites and mini-suites) - noise generally travels in an upward

direction so you should expect the same amount of exposure. By the time you

get to the top most aft deck be it a - sun deck; helicopter pad whatever the

noise has dispersed into the wind in your face.

One of the undesirable noise factors with the AFT cabins is when the ship is

maneuvering in port and the thrusters are moving the ship from side to side.

Significant vibration can be felt when this is being done but not a lot of noise.

Another factor is those cabins directly about the (Spinnaker) entertainment

lounge receiving excessive noise from whatever the entertainment is.

The FWD cabins those over the theatre can also get this noise but not as

much.

For first time cruisers - walk about the ship and take in the scope of the pro's

and con's - the good - the bad - and the ugly of cabin locations and the noise

presented at each. One note on any ship with hardwood deck floors avoid

selecting a cabin right underneath that deck. Movement of chairs tables and

maintenance equipment on the sounding - reverberated wood floors will leave

an impression of a location with something to stay away from. The carpeted

floors should be OK but beware of traffic patterns where galley equipment -

bus carts (dirty dishes etc.) passes over bumps in the floor and into and out

of service areas. If you choose your cabin poorly don't be afraid to go to the

Guest Registration Desk for any adjustments that can be made. NCL knows

where these 'LEMON' cabins are. With some idea where and when noise

happens you can make a better choice on your next trip.

That sweetheart cabin with the AFT viewing was oh so nice but it was located

right over that theatre surround sound BASS speaker ! BOOM-DA-DA BOOM !

Going to be in 9736. You going on the cruise at the end of the month? Will be a new experience for us at the very back and after reading some reviews I am glad we are not on Deck 8.

We stayed on deck 8 right over the spinnaker lounge this fall (on the Dawn) and for sure there was some noise. It didn't bother us because we were often out and about late and we can sleep through most anything anyhow, but I could see that it might be an issue for light sleepers or for a family with children. Deck 9 puts you right between two decks of suites so it will be "sweet". Enjoy every minute.

Does anyone know if noise from the wake in an aft penthouse on deck 10 is an issue?

Hi

We have never found the wake to be an issue. It might be the thing hubby likes the most - he finds the sound very soothing and spends most of his outside time on the balcony. Nothing quite like your own private piece of paradise, a nice cold drink and whatever else you want. There are lots of things to do on the ship, lots of great places to spend time and always knowing you can retreat to your own little piece of heaven. Enjoy ALL your upcoming cruises!

Just got back from the Star last week. We were in cabin 9732. Great location, quiet, beautiful views, wrap around deck. We like the aft suites on Jewel class a little more, but the Star is a nice ship, with a great crew. Any questions, let me know.

I'm going to be the voice of dissent here annietownsend. We've stayed in Dawn's (sister to Star) aft penthouses on deck 10 twice. Gorgeous views, loved watching for marine life on the way back to Boston from Bermuda, nice cabin, quiet location, but I'm not a fan of the wake and propeller noises. I certainly couldn't fall asleep out on the balcony. Even when Dawn was going slower for the 2 days down to BDA it was noisier than I like. Maybe next trip we'll try a forward suite if I can figure out one where people or the bridge wouldn't be able to look down on us. I actually brought foam earplugs last year, but I could still hear the churning water noise. Hey - talk about your first world problems, huh?

Just got back from the Star last week. We were in cabin 9732. Great location, quiet, beautiful views, wrap around deck. We like the aft suites on Jewel class a little more, but the Star is a nice ship, with a great crew. Any questions, let me know.

I hope you enjoyed 9732 as much as we did:D

I'm going to be the voice of dissent here annietownsend. We've stayed in Dawn's (sister to Star) aft penthouses on deck 10 twice. Gorgeous views, loved watching for marine life on the way back to Boston from Bermuda, nice cabin, quiet location, but I'm not a fan of the wake and propeller noises. I certainly couldn't fall asleep out on the balcony. Even when Dawn was going slower for the 2 days down to BDA it was noisier than I like. Maybe next trip we'll try a forward suite if I can figure out one where people or the bridge wouldn't be able to look down on us. I actually brought foam earplugs last year, but I could still hear the churning water noise. Hey - talk about your first world problems, huh?

On the DAWN you are going to have a problem here.

The OS on deck 12 overlooking the Bridge does not have a Balcony.

The Bridge is on deck 11.

On decks 9 and 10 the FWD balconies if you are at the very front (railing)

you can be seen by the crew on the Bridge and deck 10 if on deck 9.

Moving back closer to your cabin you are shielded from view.

The neighboring suites if at the railing can peer over the partition and see into

your space.

The best solution is to go for the 2 BR corner OS WITH 2 BALCONIES on both

decks 9 and 10. Get a forward facing balcony and a very private side facing one.

The SD and SJ suites on deck 12 are excellent for size and vanity features.

There are 10 SD suites with a similar open balcony (which is visible from the

deck above). The 3 most rear cabins on either side are prone to traffic noise

from the jogging running track above and deck chair movement at times that

the crew is cleaning. Cabins 12030 12530 have a smaller slanted cramped

balcony.

The cabins directly by the Library do not have balconies and are outfitted for

the handicapped. The cabins forward of the elevators and stairs are large

deluxe suites SJ with a great deal of space but no balcony. There are a few

inside cabins adjacent to these suites for the quietest location on the ship.

Other than these and the AFT cabins the only other place found with suites is

the Penthouse suites SC on deck 11 fwd (10 suites spaced between other

balcony cabins - 5 on each side of the ship)

On the STAR everything is pretty much the same except the suites on deck 12

fwd there are only 4 SD balcony suites the rest are SJ family.