Freedom of the Seas - Labadee issues today

I was told today by an RCL agent that most ships (including the Indy which I'm going on next month) will be going to Belize. Hopefully, this mess will be settled soon. Belize and Falmouth are my least favourite ports so I was hoping for at least one where we could have a nice beach day.

Which sail date?? we are going on Feb 8th

If they send us to Belize, All I can think of is Breaking Bad when Saul Goodman tells Walter White to send a guy to Belize(have him killed). I recall the government of Belize responded by saying Belize is a great place to visit..

Better Call Saul

We're on the Allure in April. First time I've ever booked a cruise for the ship rather than the ports BUT, if either Nassau or Belize are substituted for Labadee, we would cancel since we're before final payment. Puerta Maya would be acceptable though. One "turkey" port (Falmouth) out of three I can put up with but two out of three would be a deal breaker. Plenty of other places in the world to spend several thousand dollars that week :)

Short time viewer of this board, first time poster.

It saddens me to see the narrow field of vision some cruisers have. There is more to the world than how fine the sand of a beach is, or your OBC getting refunded. While we (most of us, Americans) have been so astronomically lucky to have been born in a country where upward economic mobility and a high standard of living are fairly common. Let's not forget that 1/3 of the global population lives in extreme poverty (less than $2/day). Haiti is the poorest country in the Americas. The bottom 90% of the country is included in this 1/3 of the global population living on less than $2/day. That's 90% of a country struggling constantly to survive. The US has played a large part in preventing them from real and radical change. These protests ARE the way to change for that 90%. I hope it serves them well. Included in my post is a documentary about where the unrest comes from. And please realize that life is really really hard, and really really unfair for a lot of people. So before calling them stupid or disruptive, please take a look at the bigger picture here.

People don't get what they deserve, people get what they get.

Edited by clevverfirst
forgot link

It saddens me to see the narrow field of vision some cruisers have. There is more to the world than how fine the sand of a beach is, or your OBC getting refunded. While we (most of us, Americans) have been so astronomically lucky to have been born in a country where upward economic mobility and a high standard of living are fairly common. Let's not forget that 1/3 of the global population lives in extreme poverty (less than $2/day). Haiti is the poorest country in the Americas. The bottom 90% of the country is included in this 1/3 of the global population living on less than $2/day. That's 90% of a country struggling constantly to survive. The US has played a large part in preventing them from real and radical change. These protests ARE the way to change for that 90%. I hope it serves them well. Included in my post is a documentary about where the unrest comes from. And please realize that life is really really hard, and really really unfair for a lot of people. So before calling them stupid or disruptive, please take a look at the bigger picture here.

Very good post, I keep telling people that where we live Wisconsin we have our drinking water come from Lake Michigan, which represents 1% of the clean drinkable water and that we are lucky to be near that resource.

A day adrift at sea on the Carnival Triumph is better than a day at Nassau.

Tried to post a pic of my one and only visit to Nassau (thumbs down by the sign). The locals weren't too thrilled with that as they watched my wife take it. We quickly got back on the ship! Good times ...

Edited by DeepFreeze

Maybe we appear to have a narrow field of vision because we are here to talk about cruising. There are other places where we can talk about the inequities in the world. I'm sure you could help someone out by forgoing any future cruises and giving that money to someone less fortunate.

This is a forum that deals with mutimillion dollar cruise ships and the people who spend thousands of dollars sailing in them. This is a first world problem website. We talk about sandy beaches and OBC for missing out on those beaches.

Edited by Ocean Boy

I know other lines do...I just got off the phone with RCI and she told me that the decision to go to Labadee or not will be made while we are on the Oasis. We sail a week from Saturday.

I asked RCI if an obc would be given of our port fees if they bypass the port...and was told to take it up with the ship.

Has anyone reading this missed a port...and did YOU receive an obc to equal the port fees paid?

Edited by dansu

Maybe we appear to have a narrow field of vision because we are here to talk about cruising. There are other places where we can talk about the inequities in the world. I'm sure you could help someone out by forgoing any future cruises and giving that money to someone less fortunate.

This is a forum that deals with mutimillion dollar cruise ships and the people who spend thousands of dollars sailing in them. This is a first world problem website. We talk about sandy beaches and OBC for missing out on those beaches.

Perfect response, thank you. I will be archiving your words for future inspiration.

[emoji106]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

It is still sad to see people saying things such as "they want to sabotage the riches RCL is bringing to the country." and "its so sad because they're only losing money for the government through port fees". They are protesting for a complete reform of the political system (more likely), or protesting RCL not holding up it's end of an agreement with the country (this I know less about, have not seen any real coverage of it, only speculation on CC). And people are saying the protesters were doing a disservice to "their fellow countrymen" and "shooting themselves in the foot" by holding this peaceful protest is a classic case of (not necessarily you, Ocean_Boy, but you seem to hold the ideology) the rich and powerful taking the majority of the wealth, implementing a system that benefits them and few others, and turning the people fighting for the scraps against each other, saying "It's the other poor man's fault that you, a poor man, don't have more. Fight harder for his scraps. He is the enemy." It's seen in America all the time. I really was shocked to see it on a cruise forum, that kind of attacking of someone breaking the status quo, especially in a country where the status quo desperately needs to be broken.

If this is infact a board to only discuss first world problems about our OBC, then lets not insult and dehumanize these very real, very unfortunate people trying to better their situation with peaceful protest. Those protesters are probably some of the most literate, intelligent people in a country with a 49% literacy rate.

Let's discuss the OBC and alternative beaches and how to make the most of a sea day, and not throw snide jibes at some of the poorest people in the western world.

Kudos to you. The expectation is that we (US) have the ability to eliminate all of the worlds ills. Life is short and I've worked very hard to be able to afford the ability to travel.

The passengers and not the port(s). What did you read.

Originally Posted by fletch1027 View Post

Yeah, because 2 ports on a 7 night cruise to the Caribbean would be pretty sad...

Apparently two of the ports are going to be sad. The post says nothing about the passengers. What did you read?