Freedom of the Seas - Labadee issues today

Just wondering if they don't stop in Haiti do they pick another port to stop at or is it considered just a Sea Day? We were actually planning on going to Haiti with Project Medicare before booking this cruise but things there are getting worse and it's not exactly safe at the moment. Hopefully the tension eases.

Just wondering if they don't stop in Haiti do they pick another port to stop at or is it considered just a Sea Day? We were actually planning on going to Haiti with Project Medicare before booking this cruise but things there are getting worse and it's not exactly safe at the moment. Hopefully the tension eases.

Project Medishare is an awesome project. Yes closer to the elections the tension is rising and the streets have been chaotic, tires burning, truck being assaulted. But it is in some of the areas. Medishare people are loved by the population and are protected, they do a lot of good. Dr. Green who started Medishare is a great man. You will be safe. The hospital is very close to the airport.

Different strokes...We've been to Half Moon Cay several times and don't bother going ashore there anymore. Yes, the beach is a beautiful white sand, but it's boring compared to Labadee.

Absolutely, it all depends what your looking for. However the water and sand are much nicer on HMC than Labadee.

That sounds awfully high to me. Can it, or another value, be verified?

It sounds high to me too. I'm just going by what I was told. What I do have on better authority though is the money getting squandered by the government.

It sounds high to me too. I'm just going by what I was told. What I do have on better authority though is the money getting squandered by the government.

http://www.kosherica.com/kosher-cruise-blog/details.asp?a=Labadee,-Haiti&blogID=20065

On another note

I think the protestors knew exactly what they were doing, they knew where all the cameras and cell phones were. What would be sad is if the passengers starting posting pics and vids on social media, doing nothing more than being an enabler, and risking this sort of behavior in the future, causing ships to leave or not dock. It may be too late

Edited by setsail

Project Medishare is an awesome project. Yes closer to the elections the tension is rising and the streets have been chaotic, tires burning, truck being assaulted. But it is in some of the areas. Medishare people are loved by the population and are protected, they do a lot of good. Dr. Green who started Medishare is a great man. You will be safe. The hospital is very close to the airport.

Thanks! I can't wait to head there, so many people we work with have been! support Haitians 100%, it's sad to see the level of poverty in a country that is so close to home! Hopefully the protesting will settle down, they are desperately trying to market the island to tourists and this sort of activity is not helping their cause. However, if my family was starving and living in the same conditions that they are in I would probably do the same.

Thank you Moltar for bringing your personal political viewpoint into a cruising forum. It is exactly why I come to this website! Now what shall we do about the CL???

Don't know, never been :) Still 55 away from D+. What do you suggest?

http://www.kosherica.com/kosher-cruise-blog/details.asp?a=Labadee,-Haiti&blogID=20065

On another note

I think the protestors knew exactly what they were doing, they knew where all the cameras and cell phones were. What would be sad is if the passengers starting posting pics and vids on social media, doing nothing more than being an enabler, and risking this sort of behavior in the future, causing ships to leave or not dock. It may be too late

To late, pics are posted:eek:

Where was the security? I'm amaze they could just come into the "private resort" without anyone stopping them.

What if guest was already on the island having some beach time and 20 or so boats suddenly appear out of nowhere? Isn't this a cause of concern?

RCL did the right thing by skipping the island.

Where was the security? I'm amaze they could just come into the "private resort" without anyone stopping them.

What if guest was already on the island having some beach time and 20 or so boats suddenly appear out of nowhere? Isn't this a cause of concern?

Haiti is an extremely poor country that in all probability cannot afford such security.

Very good question. Today it was peaceful protest, but now with all the media exposure who knows what might happen next time a ships at port. RCL really needs to secure their private "island" better. Hate to think if few armed terrorists get any ideas.

Very good question. Today it was peaceful protest, but now with all the media exposure who knows what might happen next time a ships at port. RCL really needs to secure their private "island" better. Hate to think if few armed terrorists get any ideas.

What if you were at work in a tall building and a large jet flew by. Wouldn't that be cause for concern?

There is a limit to what a few guards can do when surprised by a large number of people. People who work at embassies around the world can verify this.

There is no army or navy stationed on Labadee, just some security guards.

Edited by Cuizer2

Anyone who was on the fence about purchasing trip insurance, might want to if sailing to Labadee. There are several cruise specific policies available that offer $750+ for itinerary changes. You might actually make money on the policy. Lol

Anyone who was on the fence about purchasing trip insurance, might want to if sailing to Labadee. There are several cruise specific policies available that offer $750+ for itinerary changes. You might actually make money on the policy. Lol

I am confused with that whole insurance thing. I always purchase it before sailing, but this last time we had a port canceled due to that hurricane in September and we did not get anything back. It said $500 for trip interruption/missing a port etc. They denied it when I put in a claim, so I am confused. Apparently it only covers excursion costs that are non refundable.

I am confused with that whole insurance thing. I always purchase it before sailing, but this last time we had a port canceled due to that hurricane in September and we did not get anything back. It said $500 for trip interruption/missing a port etc. They denied it when I put in a claim, so I am confused. Apparently it only covers excursion costs that are non refundable.

It depends on the policy. Most likely yours just covered non-refundable excursion costs.

One of the plans currently being offered will pay you $750 (for the inconvenience) if the cruise line makes any itinerary changes prior to sailing and you still choose to sail. Once you sail, I believe you receive $200 for any itinerary changes or late departures/arrivals to any port of call (3+ hours). That is the advantage of a plan specifically for cruises.

Keep in mind, the medical and evacuation coverage is the real reason why you SHOULD be buying any form of trip insurance. The medical aspects are what will potentially lead to financial disaster for you or your family. Yes, a missed airline connection is an inconvenience, but even if your policy doesn't cover airline delays of less than 6 hours, the airline change fee will not lead to financial ruin in the big picture if its not covered by your plan.

To get back to Labadee...

It might be an easy way to have your insurance pay for itself right now if an itinerary change is a higher than normal probability.