Use of USD for tipping

Hello, will be leaving soon for Australia and New Zealand, can't wait!!!

I understand that tipping is not required over there as it is in the States. However, there are always certain times that I may want to. Plus once I get on the ship I always leave something for my room steward and who ever else went out of their way during my trip. Now to my question, do I tip in American dollars,which is at a good rate right now and the receiver would end up with more, or in Australian or New Zealand money, which would be less of a hassle for them.

Thanks in advance for your helpful suggestions

Your anticipation that you may receive exceptional service in Australia is an interesting and novel concept, but who knows.

I would suggest if you tip at all, you tip in local currency unless you have no other option.

In my experience of human nature, tipping in foreign currency can sometimes be taken as patronizing by the recipient, even if not so intended.

But I probably have it wrong. At the end of the day, do what you think is appropriate.

Your anticipation that you may receive exceptional service in Australia is an interesting and novel concept, but who knows.

I would suggest if you tip at all, you tip in local currency unless you have no other option.

In my experience of human nature, tipping in foreign currency can sometimes be taken as patronizing by the recipient, even if not so intended.

But I probably have it wrong. At the end of the day, do what you think is appropriate.

Hello, will be leaving soon for Australia and New Zealand, can't wait!!!

I understand that tipping is not required over there as it is in the States. However, there are always certain times that I may want to. Plus once I get on the ship I always leave something for my room steward and who ever else went out of their way during my trip. Now to my question, do I tip in American dollars,which is at a good rate right now and the receiver would end up with more, or in Australian or New Zealand money, which would be less of a hassle for them.

Thanks in advance for your helpful suggestions

We do tip in Australia for exceptional service and we have encountered it quite often.We just are not expected to tip.

When you tip it should be in Australian dollars as otherwise it is -

1) condescending that your money is better then ours.

2) An extra hassle for the person to have to go to a bank or exchange place and queue to get the money exchanged for very little difference.

On the ship, tip in whatever currency you like.

I once saw a crew member sorting some money he had just about everything, I certainly saw US$ AUS$ Pound sterling, and Euro along with others I didn't recognize, that was on a local cruise.

On land AUS$ only.

On the ship, tip in whatever currency you like.

I once saw a crew member sorting some money he had just about everything, I certainly saw US$ AUS$ Pound sterling, and Euro along with others I didn't recognize, that was on a local cruise.

On land AUS$ only.

Just noticed, except when in New Zealand when it's Kiwi$ only.

Agree. Please tip in local currency on land, $USD are of no use to us on our isolated island nation!

On ship either, the crew will eventually be back on a US ship or back there between contracts.

I agree totally about tipping in local currency when on land.

For ships based in Australia, US dollars are not much use for the crew unless they can spend them in a port and they might be given an amount that wouldn't be really usable. What would you buy for $5 for example. When they go ashore on turn-around day they need AUD. When they finish their contract they are flown straight home to Indonesia/India or wherever. Their next contract could be on a US-currency ship, but how long would they have to keep those US$? If they have to exchange the US$ (most likely) they will lose a percentage in the transaction. Bottom line, I feel the currency used on the ship is probably the best, or ask them which they prefer.

On the ship, tip in whatever currency you feel is easiest, you may want to use some local money at the end of the cruise so you do not have to take it home. On the land portions and Port days etc, local currency would be best.

Australia may not have a culture where tipping is expected (X% on everything) but it certainly is appreciated by many in the service industry. We tip occasionally but most often we just round up the cost, especially when paying in cash.

A few years back an American chain opened a food store in Sydney with tips automatically added to the bill/check. It was howled down and the practise was dropped quick smart. Can't recall the name, possibly Hard Rock Cafe?

Most cafes and restaurants will have a tips jar somewhere where you can throw in whatever you think appropriate, often diners will leave their change if they paid in cash. It gets shared among the staff.

As has been said we do tip in Australia but it's not expected and is reserved for when you get exceptional service. While I am sure that any tip is welcome it would be preferable to do so in local currency. If you are paying by card there is usually an option to put in a tip there. Rounding up and leaving change is the most common. I know that some restaurants avoid even prices for dishes for that reason.

When we went on Radiance we pre-paid the tips, so it was part of the fare (the way it really should be) We did think our cabin steward was very good so gave him some extra at the end. We had AU$ but he was Indonesian so added in our left over Rupiah.

You'll also find a number of restaurants will print out the bill ("Cheque, please") which will have a line on it for 'Tips'. As others have said, you can tip if you want to - for exceptional service - but it is not expected. The line is there because they are using an international system that includes that line in all the versions of the product.