PVP says flavored teas now $$$

LMaxwell

Maybe:confused:, he also mentioned Cozumel, maybe they are cutting that out.... and he asked about people celebrating significant older birthdays ..... maybe that is the next cutback.....oh lastly it was world war II vets.... so they are gone also.

The WWII vets are doing this naturally :(

It's just another chip away from the classic cruise experience.

Carnival (and most other cruse lines) departed from the classic cruise experience long ago, and many of these changes were at the request/insistence of passengers. Going back to a classic experience would mean no flexible dining, stricter dress codes, no specialty restaurants, to name a few.

Carnival (and most other cruse lines) departed from the classic cruise experience long ago, and many of these changes were at the request/insistence of passengers. Going back to a classic experience would mean no flexible dining, stricter dress codes, no specialty restaurants, to name a few.

Not sure I am in full agreement with you, but I see your point. The industry has changed its offerings to meet customer demands. But, IMO, they have largely remained a "cruise" product and experience. They are moving away from that. Offering flexible dining and more lenient dress codes doesn't necessarily mean that a cruise type experience could not be offered.

This truly is a cutback . I have noticed cut backs on all the cruise lines . Carnival is not alone . Starting from a higher level , Celebrity's cuts are more apparent .

I am sure it's the tea drinkers fault, they always stole the bags by the dozens.. No one to blame but themselves.

I can understand removing multiple flavors on the Lido deck. I am sure some people just rob the box blind. That's the problem with an honor system. Some people just have no honor.

But I don't think they should charge for it in the dining rooms and restaurants; just serve it upon request.

I agree with you both . I actually saw this theft, as I was doing it . :eek: Seriously though , if it's not nailed down some will steal it .

Add in bigger better ships with many balcony's , much less smoking and prices that haven't changed and it adds up to a better experience today ! Edited by richstowe

This truly is a cutback . I have noticed cut backs on all the cruise lines . Carnival is not alone . Starting from a higher level , Celebrity's cuts are more apparent .

I agree with you both . I actually saw this theft, as I was doing it . :eek: Seriously though , if it's not nailed down some will steal it .

Add in bigger better ships with many balcony's , much less smoking and prices that haven't changed and it adds up to a better experience today !

It's been a few years since I've been on Celebrity and I'm looking to go back soon. What kind of cutbacks have they had?

It's been a few years since I've been on Celebrity and I'm looking to go back soon. What kind of cutbacks have they had?

While I don't know the reason, Celebrity has been discounting more than other cruise lines. I had a conversation with a BDM for Celebrity who admitted they are struggling with sales, hence someone the aggressive offerings they currently have.

I do miss the "classic" cruise, it's what made me love it so much but over the years it has slowly gone away and although we still love cruising I feel for the newbies who are missing out on a real cruise.

Guess the younger generation is missing out on a lot. Instead of golfing or skiing or fishing on a Sunday they would be forced to dress in hat and gloves and stockings with garter belts and sitting in church for 3 hours and then going home and putting on the pretty frilly apron and fixing a five course Sunday meal.

Times change and what is acceptable changes. I don't want to sit in a stuffy dining room three meals a day in my Sunday best while on vacation. I don't want to play shuffle board or have lectures on the natives of the Caribbean. I don't want to cruise with mostly "older" retired passengers (the only ones who could afford a cruise back then.

I don't think that "classic" cruising is all it was cracked up to be. Give me a vacation where I can live in shorts and t-shirts, eat when I want, use the exercise facilities, watch movies under the stars, enjoy watching my grand kids play on the slides or participate in scavenger hunts. Now that's a vacation for me.

In a very short period of time they pretty much eliminated the CD staff members , cut out all "free" aerobics/zumba and outdoor activities , eliminated bedtime chocolates , eliminated the "grand buffet: , gutted the Aquaspa Cafe (DW's favorite), lowered the quality of food in MDR , chopped up sections of the MDR and eliminated an entire bar (which had an amazing beer selection) to turn these into restricted suite areas , eliminated "free" food to be replaced by additional fee areas and for Aqua class reducing amenities like bottled water, flowers and other touches . Add to that jerking up prices while including a basic drink package . Sounds good but its a slick move to push you into upgrading as the classic package contains less and less choices .

That's all I can think of for now but there are more . Celebrity is still a class above Carnival but the cuts are deeper . Carnival is more then ever better value . Having whined this much :o, I'm thrilled to cruise on any ship. :)

Edited by richstowe

In a very short period of time they pretty much eliminated the CD staff members , cut out all "free" aerobics/zumba and outdoor activities , eliminated bedtime chocolates , eliminated the "grand buffet: , gutted the Aquaspa Cafe (DW's favorite), lowered the quality of food in MDR , chopped up sections of the MDR and eliminated an entire bar (which had an amazing beer selection) to turn these into restricted suite areas , eliminated "free" food to be replaced by additional fee areas and for Aqua class reducing amenities like bottled water, flowers and other touches . Add to that jerking up prices while including a basic drink package . Sounds good but its a slick move to push you into upgrading as the classic package contains less and less choices .

That's all I can think of for now but there are more . Celebrity is still a class above Carnival but the cuts are deeper . Carnival is more then ever better value . Having whined this much :o, I'm thrilled to cruise on any ship. :)

Thanks. I was aware of the "Cellar Masters" thing. I will be sad if I can't get any more free desserts at "Cafe al Bacio". The Grand Buffet thing wasn't there on our last cruise or 2. We never stayed in Aqua Class, but did enjoy the flower in Concierge Class. Guess I will have to go check it out for myself. Thanks again!

I don't remember tea time on the Splendor and it's not listed on the website when I look at the Paradise so I guess I'll never get to try it :(

On the sea day dailies, it just says 3 pm Tea. I think people just miss it or don't know it is special.

Ahhh bootleg teabags.... now that is an opportunity, significantly under priced as well. Could be a winner. Walking around in the raincoat with them stapled to the inside might be a problem tho...... Safety warning, stay away from the hot tubs.

Ha ha ha!:p

I've actually heard some conflicting reports from Royal/Regal that they do charge for the "regular" tea time now too and not just the Tea Tower in the Piazza.

Afternoon tea in the dining room was definitely NOT chargeable on Regal in January.

A pot of tea is, however, chargeable in the International Cafe.

According to PVP only 2 flavors of tea will be offered in Lido. No more flavored teas at Lido available. Flavored teas only offered in dining rooms and restaurants and for a charge, not sure how much. Tea Time will be a $$$ event; not sure how much they will charge. Basic tea will be available in MDR at no charge still.

This is just FYI. No need to play kill the messenger.

Last thing I want to drink on a Caribbean Cruise in July is hot tea. If these little nit-noid charges or eliminations help keep the fare down then I am all for it!