Standard Drinks Package

Jetlagged787

Does anyone know the date that the Standard Drinks Package was introduced please?

When we booked our cruise, the only perk we recieved was a Classic package. I received our final invoice this morning and see that our package has been downgraded to Standard. Before I contact Celebrity I want to gather the evidence, the main being that I feel sure that we booked well before they even introduced the Standard. It was certainly before I first read about it on these boards.

Thanks in advance.

It did not seem strange to me at the time that the original invoice did not mention the drinks package. I'm not as experienced at this cruising lark as most of you and accepted that an invoice showing how much the cruise cost, less the deposit with balance due was anything other than an invoice.

Now, comparing it with this invoice, I have noticed that the drinks package is mentioned now. I booked this online so will drop Celebrity a line to see what they have to say.

Meanwhile, if anyone does know when the Standard package was introduced I would appreciate a note of the date. Looking back over the threads it would seem to be around November 2015 and I booked in August.

Thread here

I hadn't even noticed this before. I would have thought it was just because they changed the name of 'classic' to 'standard' had you not pointed this out.

If they offer you the beverage package when booking online as a free perk, is the package they include dependent on when you made your reservation? I was considering upgrading to the premium package on one of my cruises that includes this perk, but now am going to have to reconsider as I think the price difference will be way more than originally thought.

The standard package looks to be the same ick they serve at the welcome aboard events. Plus, was looking forward to grabbing my cappuccino to enjoy on my balcony ... but now it looks as though we will be visiting the elite breakfast for those ... as well as for our mimosas. :(

If they offer you the beverage package when booking online as a free perk, is the package they include dependent on when you made your reservation? ...

(

It must be, surely. It certainly should be as far as I am concerned. I made the booking at the time that they were offering the Classic package as a perk and incentive to book. I do not see that when it comes time to pay they can downgrade to a package that was not even being offered for sale at the time that I booked. Surely they have to provide what they offer or can they entice us in with one offer and then change it at the point of delivery? By that logic they could even downgrade it to an alcohol free package or even take it away all together!

Not a happy bunny at all at the moment and still waiting for a reply from Celebrity. So far, not so much as an acknowledgement from them

Curiouser and curiouser. Celebrity have replied to my contact stating, "The standard drinks package is the Classic Drinks Package."

I have asked for an amended final invoice confirming that we will receive the Classic package. That shouldn't be a problem for them if it is the same as the Standard package. Watch this space.

Curiouser and curiouser. Celebrity have replied to my contact stating, "The standard drinks package is the Classic Drinks Package."

I have asked for an amended final invoice confirming that we will receive the Classic package. That shouldn't be a problem for them if it is the same as the Standard package. Watch this space.

Weird cause looking at that brochure on the thread you linked they are not the same.....unless X has done away with it already LOL

I checked the site where I purchased my cruise as well as Celebrity's site and both show that if I booked today under the current promotion, it includes the Classic package ... so happy about that.

I do see where the Standard Package is available for my sailing as well under the 'cruise planner' link. If it had been the standard package, to upgrade to premium (if my math is correct), it would cost us approx. an additional $700....which I am just not willing to do. Glad to see they are not cheesing out on offering at least the classic package in the BBB promo.

I cannot imagine what drinks would be available for under $6 each on Celebrity, especially the wines. I am guessing they would have had to contract with TJs for some 2 Buck Chuck. LOL

Anyhow, my worries were for nothing as of now. Will consider inside cabins again if they decide to force the standard package upon us in the future.

Edited by Cruise Raider

The OP is from Portugal not the US. Perks and promotions when booking in Europe are not always the same as in the US. I believe the Standard package was introduced in Europe awhile before it was available for purchase in the US. We met some cruisers from the UK on a cruise last summer who had the Standard Package - first we heard of it.

Thus far, the perks being offered in the US is the Classic package.

The OP is from Portugal not the US. Perks and promotions when booking in Europe are not always the same as in the US. I believe the Standard package was introduced in Europe awhile before it was available for purchase in the US. We met some cruisers from the UK on a cruise last summer who had the Standard Package - first we heard of it.

Thus far, the perks being offered in the US is the Classic package.

And the current promotion here in Europe is also Classic:

"Pay half for the second guest, plus a free drinks package worth £500pp". When you read further, the drinks package described is clearly the Classic.

And the current promotion here in Europe is also Classic:

"Pay half for the second guest, plus a free drinks package worth £500pp". When you read further, the drinks package described is clearly the Classic.

Wish we had a promo in the US for pay half for the second guest & a free drink package. Hope you get this resolved quickly.

It did not seem strange to me at the time that the original invoice did not mention the drinks package. I'm not as experienced at this cruising lark as most of you and accepted that an invoice showing how much the cruise cost, less the deposit with balance due was anything other than an invoice.

Now, comparing it with this invoice, I have noticed that the drinks package is mentioned now. I booked this online so will drop Celebrity a line to see what they have to say.

Meanwhile, if anyone does know when the Standard package was introduced I would appreciate a note of the date. Looking back over the threads it would seem to be around November 2015 and I booked in August.

Thread here

I also booked last August under a UK promo - we received classic drinks package, $300 OBC and tips included.

We are in a C2 concierge balcony cabin - what cabin grade did you book ? as I am sure at the time we booked that ocean view (and poss inside) included standard package, balcony and concierge included classic drinks package and suite (and poss Aqua) included premium drinks package

I'm not 100% on the actual cabin breaks as I didn't take a screenshot at the time but there definitely was a three tier drinks package offer dependent on the cabin class booked last summer.

I have just double checked our reservation on X website and it shows the classic package included.

Thanks for your post Barneymag. Unfortunately I did not get a screen shot either but it was certainly a Classic package with our Oceanview, Southern Caribbean itinerary. I remember it well as I was considering upgrading it to Premium to qualify for the craft beers. I scrapped that idea when I realised the cost of the upgrade far outweighed the value of the beer!

The jury is back and the decision by Celebrity was that, at the time of booking, the offer was for the Standard Package. I did not get a screen grab and have nothing in writing, so guess I'll have to drop it and try to enjoy what I do have.

Thanks everybody for your input. :)

Does anyone know the date that the Standard Drinks Package was introduced please?

When we booked our cruise, the only perk we recieved was a Classic package. I received our final invoice this morning and see that our package has been downgraded to Standard. Before I contact Celebrity I want to gather the evidence, the main being that I feel sure that we booked well before they even introduced the Standard. It was certainly before I first read about it on these boards.

Thanks in advance.

From Celebrity Cruises:

"Unlike the Premium and Classic packages which offer specific liquor brands, the Standard Package offers "well brands"; every main liquor type is available within the Standard Package (e.g. vodka, gin, rum, whiskey, etc.)

The Standard Package is already available onboard, and is available pre-cruise beginning Tuesday, November 17, 2015."

What they consider to be "WELL" brands can be almost anything. I do not think they will be offering $4.95 a liter spirits but for sure no $30 a liter vodka or gins.

bosco