Escape - Live 1/30

TheDougOut

They have "handcrafted cocktails from Bar Lab's James Beard Award-nominated mixologists Gabriel Orta and Elad Zvi" created just for The District. I tried them all and they are outstanding!

Thanks Doug and LrgPizza [emoji3][emoji106][emoji119]

d48887cc9b15069d75e79cbeeb8d7af6.jpg

Allow me to reflect on tonight's not-so-late roaming (1am) vs. last night's late night roaming (1:30am).

There's definitely a different late night scene on "sea day eve" vs. "port day eve". The above photo was taken about 15 mins ago @ the skyline bar. It's essentially dead (25-30 guests) compared to last night, even though it's earlier than when I passed by last night.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

They have "handcrafted cocktails from Bar Lab's James Beard Award-nominated mixologists Gabriel Orta and Elad Zvi" created just for The District. I tried them all and they are outstanding!

Thanks for reminding me that I have more cocktails to try. I'm not even half-way into this cruise, and I already have that sinking feeling that I'll be missing out on something. It's inevitable - there's simply too much to do.

ea52c61c7d4b13315c3f02157e71678b.jpg

Earlier tonight, when we stopped by the room after MDQ, we encountered stranger danger #2. Do you all instantly recognize what's wrong with this picture??

That's right - apparently after living the high life for two nights, I've lost my Latitudes Silver status, and as such, am no longer entitled to choc-a-leets.

Let's talk MDQ...

It's an amazing production. The dude that plays Jerry Lee is a ridiculously talented individual. The guy that plays Carl Perkins is, from someone that has no right to judge, an incredible guitar player. To me, these two performers (and the backing bass player, drummer and producer) made the show.

So what's left to critique?

Most of us know MDQ has hit some recent bumps in the form of show cancellations. Now I gotta say, I don't know what's taken place, or if new information has surfaced on this board, but I can't help but question if the current actor playing Johnny Cash previously played Elvis Presley. The dude is simply a dead ringer for Elvis. How much so? It's actually distracting to see him playing Johnny Cash.

So who's playing Elvis now? A fantastic performer when, and I stress "when", he's singing and dancing as Elvis. Unfortunately, if you take away the performing aspect, the guy is simply overshadowed by the talent surrounding him. I felt like I was watching Nick Jonas try to play Elvis. When he's simply talking the part, the acting was a little tough to watch.

Having said all that, I put this overall production right up there with After Midnight and The Brat Pack. NCL has really put together a top notch entertainment lineup on this ship.

That's a wrap on Day #3. I honestly have no idea what's in store for me tomorrow.

I learned tonight that my parents booked a last minute excursion through NCL, which I understand to be an open air bus tour with drop off at the sky ride to that lookout spot (sorry - don't recall what the official name is). I did this many years ago, with my then 4 year old daughter who's now busy at home wrapping up her senior year of high school.

I believe my gf has some non-NCL itinerary planned, that she told me about while I smiled and nodded. I'll just play along and hope she doesn't ask me if I know what we're actually doing.

At the end of the day, there will be no place like home. That's for sure.

Goodnight!

Any chance you can get a list of drinks from the Sugarcane Mojito Bar?

Over the course of 7 days, I'm sure that each and every watering hole will be frequented by Doug, so any drink menus that are posted will fuel the anticipation of breaking in the UBP in style.

May I humbly request a picture of the menu of the craft cocktails. Thanks. Man cannot live on beer alone. Yes, I know that statement is sacrilege to some.

078d1d63d6ccce0d96ae37666a11fc52.jpg

4282cb0296c8af0684787580c1bd99db.jpg

Uh, forgetting what I put on the intro after 4 hours of sleep.

Today's forecast: partly sunny, 82f/28c

Drink of the day: Painkiller. (I order mine with an extra shot of rum on top)

Edited by TheDougOut

Doug you're the best! I am enjoying your live reviews and great sense of humor. Thanks for the feedback and entertainment. Any chance are you on Untapped, Yelp, or Twitter? I would love to continue following and reading your reviews once the cruise is over. You could be seriously be paid doing what you enjoy, you have a talent with reviews. Cheers to Day 4 and USVI!!

f55602fa2af1d17843d9549000d26fc9.jpg

My vote for THE entertainer on the ship... Beau!! This guy takes the crowd on one crazy trip...

Glad to see he's still there. We saw him on our Dec 12th cruise. He's a little whacked and talented. Great performer. Gets the crowd going. Hope he's still on next week.

12135296e6bdd1f70fb1589d57bccf02.jpg

Ship's reflection while entering port

b70cb50006e06c720ddafc67b9b14e8a.jpg

I'm sensing a breakfast trend. We took our buffet food up a flight and ate at Margaritaville. This was being encouraged by the crew, yet only a couple people were up there. Great view from above!

283b04d11261f6594901fe629b6937c3.jpg

I see some senor frogs but no turtles.

bad7151edf343afbfddda76a635d5345.jpg

Attempting to preload on caffeine in the atrium before getting off the ship.

I always have two priorities when in port: avoid a caffeine headache and avoid "using" a public restroom. Remember all those great food nuggets at Food Republic last night? Yep - that's right. Today will be interesting.

Seeing guest services across the way - I realize I forgot to mention my visit last night.

I'm losing sense of time, but after posting those late-night area photos, I saw this poor guy working the guest services counter. We were quite possibly the only two individuals on the 6th floor. I figured it was my duty to pay him a visit.

All I could come with on the spot - I voiced a lack of noise complaint about the brew house. I'm not sure if he misunderstood, or if my phrasing came by surprise, but he apologized on behalf of NCL, and encouraged me to fill out a feedback form and drop it in the box.

The form is upstairs in the room. A task for later.