Escape - Live 1/30

TheDougOut

df0542612e461980625e21ff39407eb1.jpg

The small amenities stand isn't even open yet. As guests arrive, many drag lounge chairs down to the water's edge knowing that money will be collected at some point ($5 each). If you want a laid back beach experience, this is it.

ce2d85819b2034ccbf85b18325bd0cd2.jpg

529e2c67bc9b4254b96a532cd2547cfe.jpg

5617e09b66438d44c7c533836265c212.jpg

This photo helped me realize that it's not a selfie if the camera is pointed away from you, redeeming myself for the elevator incident earlier in the week.

b3a51bf4b0002b27c7a71c78fb38a304.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Ok, sail away is soon (edit: turns out maybe not), so I'm gonna try and wrap the story up quickly...

We spend what feels like hours at the beach. I look at my watch - 10:30am. Ughhhh. I don't want to sit here for another 2.5 hours. But if you recall, we need our driver because we still owe him $24+ for the ride.

Sue starts walking the beach looking for the other couples we traveled with, thinking maybe we can give them the money so we can go back sooner.

I start talking to other drivers, to see if anyone knows Freeman. One guy does, and offers to call him up. He calls, words are exchanged, and then he offers to collect the money and get it to Freeman. I ask him to ask Freeman (still on the phone) what time he originally was supposed to pick us up. The answer, "uh, maybe 1:30?". Nope - I'm not falling for it. In the end, I tell the guy to never mind, after which he admits that "maybe that wasn't the right Freeman."

Edited by TheDougOut

Sue finds one of the other couples, they are relieved - as they're anxious to leave as well. They said the couple that wanted the 1pm departure were serious snorkelers, and they were way out at the end of the bay.

I find another driver that "knows Freeman and his dad", and he offered to take us back to the pier where he'd help us find him. That was good enough for me.

We all gather our things and head back.

We get back to the pier, and the driver sets out to find Freeman. Over the next 20 minutes, we meet 4 or 5 people that know Freeman. They all offer to get the money to him, yet none of them know his phone number.

Guess what? Suddenly these same people DO have his number.

Calls are made. Once again, it becomes rather obvious we're not talking to our actual Freeman. When we don't go along, they reluctantly agree that they don't actually know him.

At one point, the driver that brought us back approaches and says he had Freeman on the phone. I take the phone, and just say, "listen, I just want to make sure the person that we owe money to gets it, so can you tell me what's currently being built on your childhood property?" The answer, "No worries, just give my friend the money and he'll give it to me."

After talking twice with other Freeman's, I had lost faith. I tell our latest driver that I'll just come back at 1:20pm (our orig time back) and try to find him.

Wonderful review, my daily routine is to get my coffee and check to see if you added anything new. Never want it to end.

Question for you---I never hear anything about "Buckets of Beer" do they still have this and how much are they. Thanks for finding out. Safe journey

A quick look at a feature we loved on the Breakaway, which is also found on the Escape. At the various entrances to the Garden Cafe, there are several sink stations where you can wash up before or after dining.

a88a7f08788f37363e6827bb33418dfa.jpg

a2f56f54af6510b8f30575a3c43d6231.jpg

Also nice - in each of the public restrooms there's a paper towel dispenser and garbage can at the door, so you can use a towel to open the door. There's a sign encouraging guests to practice this.

84497224a56bb8f783d808e2202b14aa.jpg

omg awesome! I am a germaphobe, but refuse to use the "washy washy", always soap and water for me pre meals!

Been following along for this awesome trip report, seems like you're having a great time!!

Sue and I got off the ship shortly after 1pm. It takes us no more than five minutes to find... the one, the only...

bd2543341412788133f16f38567f55ad.jpg

FREEMAN!!

It turns out he was on the phone with us... once. The last time. Apparently he was in a rush and didn't understand what I was asking. But no worries... kind words were exchanged, along with what we rightly owed him (plus a generous tip). The other couple left money with us along with their room number in case we never found him.

It ended up being a positive, friendly exchange. We left the island on a high note.

Another "great moment in design history" was spotted on the beautiful, new pier in Tortola.

An admirable safety measure: a big thick red line with a "Danger do not cross" warning to keep people from getting too close to the edge.

d403c0f57d34bff4b7757c5e0400d376.jpg

But then they had to go the extra step...

2dd5c755ad9d38fb0b42ea033d55250f.jpg

...by placing a big, happy, inviting smiley face right on the edge! I can just picture the little kids running over and spinning around to see the face upright. And then... splash!

Edited by TheDougOut

One other thing noticed while waking along the pier today. Even though it's an older ship, apparently the Spirit advertises more inclusive spa treatments.

NCL Spirit...

8571de8a286ca35b120cf199f4847461.jpg

NCL Escape...

cc9d108c5fb4109833d0e81456a5bd92.jpg

I hope your captain is giving you the BVI tour by slowly sailing out past all the islands. We had our frosty drinks and a good spot on the Waterfront to enjoy that sailaway. Passed a half a dozen smaller islands....beautiful :D

Nice post prediction!

I was just about to mention how great this "island show" has been on the way out. I had read in another reviews about how beautiful this leg of the journey is from the port-side balconies.

7d7da760b475250af3dfc0e2d57129a7.jpg

3:42pm

And check out that shiny handrail!

Edited by TheDougOut

Thanks for the great review and pictures we will be sailing Saturday just wondering if you prebooked Coral World or just paid

We did not pre-book - we got off the ship, grabbed a cab, and paid & booked the sea lion swim once there.

Safe travels!

Question about the pics, do you still have to go through a third party photo service or can you upload directly from your iPhone? It seems like you're able to do it relatively quickly based on the number of photos you post.

I panicked during the Miami sail away when I lost cell coverage and switched to the ship's wifi, as it was then that I realized NCL was blocking the tinypic app (which was used prior to sail away). I tried several other similar apps - all blocked.

My on-the-spot & panicked decision - to download the "ImageSize" app, which allows you to resize your photos locally on the phone, greatly reducing the file size before praying that the ship's wifi is happy happy enough to upload it.

The app has worked great, and I'm sure there are many more out there, some of which may even be more suitable.

So I take a shot, jump into ImageSize, reduce it, jump into the CruiseCritic forum app, import the reduced file, then go! Utilizing the original, full-sized files would have been near impossible.

When I get home, I'll be interested to access the thread using my typical devices to see how the photos have come across. I'm hoping much isn't getting lost with the reductions.

If CruiseCritic wanted to encourage more live threads, an app-embedded image reducer would be an interesting enhancement.

Ok, here's a photo from up on deck last night that had us all dying. My mom asked for a photo of the three guys: myself, my dad, and my brother in law.

For some reason, it turned out looking like I was introducing a boyfriend to my dad, and my dad not quite approving.

bd097a4b54d9ab8f858e534903e1ce41.jpg

I don't think you're giving your dad enough credit - he looks quite pleased to be in the presence of such a happy couple...

I don't think you're giving your dad enough credit - he looks quite pleased to be in the presence of such a happy couple...

That photo KILLS me. I'm laughing at it now. I can't wait to order Christmas cards this year.