Escape - Live 1/30

TheDougOut

A quick look at a feature we loved on the Breakaway, which is also found on the Escape. At the various entrances to the Garden Cafe, there are several sink stations where you can wash up before or after dining.

a88a7f08788f37363e6827bb33418dfa.jpg

a2f56f54af6510b8f30575a3c43d6231.jpg

Also nice - in each of the public restrooms there's a paper towel dispenser and garbage can at the door, so you can use a towel to open the door. There's a sign encouraging guests to practice this.

84497224a56bb8f783d808e2202b14aa.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Ok, here's a photo from up on deck last night that had us all dying. My mom asked for a photo of the three guys: myself, my dad, and my brother in law.

For some reason, it turned out looking like I was introducing a boyfriend to my dad, and my dad not quite approving.

bd097a4b54d9ab8f858e534903e1ce41.jpg

It still cracks me up each time I look at it.

I know you are a beer guy but have you tried The Cellars? Any chance you can snap a picture of the wine list? Great review!

Arghhhhhh!! We keep saying we need to get there, as we have several winos in the group. Trying again tonight...

Yet another example of all the options vying for your attention. Can someone check to see if there are rooms avail for Saturday's sailing? I may need to stay on just to do this ship justice.

Question about the pics, do you still have to go through a third party photo service or can you upload directly from your iPhone? It seems like you're able to do it relatively quickly based on the number of photos you post (outside of the terrible Escape Wifi that I have also experienced).

Thanks in advance for the tips and loving your review!

89553e86495b5dffb195c72ec77cc6cf.jpg

Honestly, I don't even remember what it's called

New name: Wifi Trouble Forgetter, with Orange Zest. It's strong.

After cross referencing from your #343 post with the Craft Drink menu from the Brew House, I would hypothesize that it's a Jackhammer.

Alright, it's 12:53pm. Sue and I are getting off the ship in a few mins in an attempt to rectify a little financial issue we have with a taxi driver. Long story, and all I can say is that I'm going out of my way to set this straight.

I'll fill everyone in later with the details of the day. If this is the last post you see from me, just assume we never got back on the ship.

Edited by TheDougOut

Doug,

Loving your review/travel log. Your sense of humor has been cracking me up, in particular your brother-in-law's surprise choice for a beer. Never leave such important decisions up to an amateur, important choices like that should be left to the professionals! Did you do any excursions in Tortola? We leave in 10 days, cannot wait.

Coach Jim

Ok, story time.

This morning Sue asks me, "Hey, you wanna go to a beach named after the brewery that was built there?"

Well, duh... let's go.

7cd97491817482af4b6d63528b418ad2.jpg

We get off the ship shortly after 8am, walk up to the awaiting taxi dispatchers, and say we're headed to Brewer's Bay. The guy directs us to an awaiting van, where we join 2 couples that were already loaded. Big guy gets to sit up front - I knew there was a reason I failed to lose all those lbs before the trip.

And we're off...

Edited by TheDougOut

Really loving your review and getting me excited for our first time on NCL.

Since I have never been on NCL and only Royal and Princess, whats the TV channels like?? I have a 12yr old who likes cartoons and a husband who likes sports and Fox News..LOL

Also any Pizza? how is the ice cream machine? ice milk or creamy actual soft serve??

The ride to Brewer's Bay costs $8pp. The taxi driver's name was Freeman - a great guy, and very personable. He's one of those drivers that takes great pride in his home island, and enthusiastically shares stories along the way. At one point we pass Freeman's dad, who exchanges a wave and a smile with group.

Now stay with me, as there's a reason I need to share these details. As we're exiting the town near the pier, Freeman points out the home where he grew up and where several family members still live. His aunt is in the process of building an additional home on the property. And while the streets out front are now quite busy, they were once quiet and would be the spot where they all played baseball.

A view of the ship as we head up the mountain...

a465886ac72f3b66eeb0f04baf769538.jpg

To those that haven't been on Tortola, the roads are quite scary. They basically climb their way through the mountains, are barely a single lane wide, and have hairpin turn after hairpin turn.

Many of you probably know of the tragic accident a few months back that killed several cruise ship passengers while visiting the island. This weighed on my mind as we descended the mountain, with the van's transmission squealing for the ride to be over.

Freeman pointing out Brewer's Bay from above...

bfdae20dddb98235d28dedf3702f4dd1.jpg

As we approach the bay, Freeman points out the ruins of the brewery that once stood there. And here I had been humorously fantasizing about some glorious oceanside brewery that handed out free samples to beach goers all day long. My fantasy was not to be realized, at least not today.

We get out of the van, and Freeman asks the group when we want to be picked up. The one girl chimes in first with 1pm, and everyone else remains quiet. So 1 o'clock it is. Freeman says not to worry about the morning fare, as he'd collect both portions after the return trip. No problem!

He then leaves us as we begin to explore.