10 nites and 4 people=40 pairs of underwear!!!

That's alot of undies!!! Do you pack your "holey" ones and trash them and not repack all that, do you buy new in the nice tight packages, or bring 5 and send them to the laundry??? wonder what RcI charges for undergarments? Just thought I'd ask...trying to save room for the important stuff like my blender!!

I have a clothes dryer that looks like an upsidedown umbrella without the fabric that folds down small for packing. It has several clothespins on each arm. We only pack 6 changes in underclothes and handwash them and hang them to dry overnight. Works great! We pack lightweight undies (microfiber or silk) and they dry really fast. If I didn't want different colors for under different outfits, I could even pack less.

I probably bring twice that amount per person because I don't like putting on used underwear when I change out of a swimsuit or get out of the shower. I like the idea of packing underwear nearing the end of its lifespan and then tossing it - might be a good way of purging my husband's pathetic stash. Then again, do I really want my poor cabin steward hauling off husband's underpants as they snarl and battle to crawl back into the stateroom??? :D :D

I agree with KKeeganS.

I pack two pair a day for my husband and I. Sweating all day on the islands, they have got to be changed for dinner. :p

Here are the prices for laundry and underwear.

SHIPBOARD LAUNDRY SERVICE

* All prices are in US. Dollars and are subject to change without notice.

MEN WOMEN

Shirt/T-Shirt: $2.50 Blouse: $3.50

Shirt (dress): $3.00 Dress (wash): $5.00

Underwear: $1.20 Skirt: $3.50

Jeans: $3.00 Nightgown: $3.00

Pajamas: $4.00 Swimsuit: $2.00

Handkerchif: $0.75 Slip: $2.50

Shorts: $2.50 Housecoat: $3.50

Bathrobe: $3.50 Hosiery: $3.50

Pants (wash): $3.50 Slacks: $3.50

Sweatshirt: $3.00

Socks: $1.00

PRESS ONLY - 50% of cleaning prices SHIPBOARD DRY CLEANING SERVICES * All prices are in US. Dollars and are subject to change without notice.

MEN WOMAN

Suit: $7.00 Evening Gown: $8.00

Pants: $4.25 Dress $7.00

Jacket: $4.50 Silk Blouse: $5:00

Sweater: $4.00 Silk Dress: $8.00

Coat: $7.00 Skirt $4.50

Tie: $2.00 Suit: $7.50

Shirt: $3.50 Blouse: $4.00

Shorts: $3.00 Scarf: $2.50

Vest $2.50

Silk Pajamas: $4.50

PRESS ONLY - 50% of cleaning prices Please note: We do not provide irons in the staterooms as they constitute a fire hazard.

We pack our underwear in a 2.5 gal zip lock bag. Fill it with the folded garmets, press out all the air, and quickly seal the zipper on the bag. Instantly vacuum sealed (almost) undergarmets that do not take up much space. Plus, if security at the airport must go through your luggage, it does not mess up the folding.

Just a thought.

Tim & Crystal

We also pack our undies in ziplock bags. If security has to go through your luggage, they can see what's in the bag without the undies being all over the place as they search. We always pack enough to get us through the cruise. 7 days means double the undies.

If it were me, I am in the 80 pair of undies category (a fresh pair when I wake up and another fresh pair for dinner). Although some of my dresses lay better with nothing underneath so we can factor in maybe 2 or 3 commando nights, but still.

The laundering idea does not seem ridiculously expensive....

Good God, when my DD cruises with us I usually pack her 3 pairs a day (if she is having a lot of fun she might "forget" to go until it is too late!)

We also pack our swimwear and our socks in zip locks. It makes it reeeeeeaaaaal easy to unpack when you get your luggage delivered to your cabin.

We do the same Alexis, we repack the undies as we wear them. We actually repack each morning, placing our dirty clothes in our luggage as we wear them. This makes it easier to pack the last night. Actually, we take a few minutes the last afternoon to finishing packing. That way we have the entire rest of the night to have a good time.

Tim & Crystal

Bonnie is right, pack thongs, they take less space. i just empty my undie drawer into my suitcase when i'm done packing and then smush them into all the tiny spaces left over from everything else.

someone went commando on our cruise, and as she was walking thru a door, a gust of wind blew her dress up. yes, fun for the guys quick enough to get a glance, not so fun for her though.

and who wears undies right out of the pack??? :eek:

I always take double undies too. I don't like putting on a 'stale' pair after swimming, etc.

Here's how I save a little space....

I pack my undies in 2 small ziplock bags (the quart size freezer bag), and then stuff them inside one of my DH's dress shoes (one bag for each shoe). The space inside the shoes would normally be wasted anyway, and the ziplock bag keeps out any unpleasant shoe odors from permeating my undies. Mens hankercheifs (sp?) can be packed the same way as well.

edited to add: Any remaining shoes get socks stuffed inside of them. My husband has big feet, so I can really fit a lot in his shoes. :D

DH and I pack a pair for each day. If we find we need more than one pair in a day, we'll handwash and hang to dry. Trying to pack light means not using a ton of space for underwear, but hygiene means at least a pair each day.

Yeah... at 1.20 per pair (plus the exchange rate for us CDN folks), plus the idea of someone else washing and handling my underwear, I think I'll pack a few more.

Do the panty toss. Go to Kmart/Walmart and buy the bag o' panties specials and just toss 'em. Best of both worlds..easy to pack and saves space for all the duty free liquor on the way home. Just hide the dirty ones when you trash them. We had one cabin attendant fish them out of the garbage and refold our used, cheap underwear! Talk about embarassing.

Double the undies for us! Zip lock baggies are the best for all undies and swimwear.

Here is another one.....mens undershirts, they take up so much room, they also work great in the zip locks.

Agree, we pack almost everything in the zip locks bags! We also utilize the cleaning services onboard, they do a great job. The prices are posted on their website, if anyone is interested.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/onboardExtrasFaq.do;jsessionid=0000ewo_i7GCRzRJ_pGBrIuRtK5:v29bc620

###

Buy new. Nice tight packages.
I'm with Legalwife...I take brand new undies just for the cruise (washed of course!) If you must know...One to two for each day of the cruise. Some days, are just spent in my bathingsuit. I have 18 pairs already packed for a 10 night plus a stay over. ;) I take them all home dirty. In fact I leave them right on top of the suitcase in hopes that the TSA avoids searching my bags. :D

Archived