Live...mostly...from Anthem

KarinaGW

All I can say is wow! Hope all passengers are ok and that no one was hurt.

I have been on both Anthem and Quantum and both look a bit "top heavy" to me. I have not a clue how this might affect "seaworthiness" but I am sure the captain knows what he is doing and that passenger safety is his top priority.

Best wishes to all onboard for much quieter travels in the future. Katherine

You Monday morning Quarterback's should stick to second guessing the Panther's playcalling.

You have no idea what information the ship had on this system.

Believe it or not- some storms are unavoidable. Also, sometimes conditions change. Sometimes it is for the better, and sometimes they deteriorate. If they were given information about the storm and it predicted 50 knot winds and they intensified, that is not the fault of the Captain.

Sure- you may be D+members or whatever but you're not a master mariner with YEARS at sea nor do you have the same information they had.

Before you call for the Captain to walk the plank perhaps you should know all the facts.

Perfect answer to all of the horrible comments about judgement when no one knows the truth yet......

Deck 14 damage. Looks cosmetic. Posted on F B

14_zps4bsrf6xn.jpg

Definitely purely cosmetic! Shame on whomever would make up some absolute CRAP about the ship is too damaged to continue and everyone's vacation is over. Seriously what goes on in your head? WOW Will be fixed easy peasy. Hopefully that is a severe as anything gets as far as damage. The cruise will certainly continue if that is the case.

And also, shame on all of the people pointing fingers and blaming the captain for risking your lives. I assure you your lives were not at risk. Although I am sure it is and was terrifying, it sounds like the worst has passed and better times are ahead. Happy sailing for the remainder, fingers crossed, and prayers for you all!

Sorry, I understand now why you were out of your cabin, but why in the world would you leave an 89 year old aunt with a walker alone in her cabin in a storm like this? I sail solo, and I'm much younger than 89, and I wouldn't want to be alone. When I was on the Jan 15th cruise, and thought we might be sailing through a blizzard, everyone that I met that was sailing solo, made plans to buddy up so we wouldn't be alone. Luckily we didn't need to.

She can also just go to Guest Services and ask for an extra key to give to you.

She was in her cabin when it started. When we were sent back to our cabin the ship was already rocking badly and I didn't want her getting out of bed to let me in (even before the closet door came off). I have an adjoining cabin and had been accessing her cabin via the balcony which was no longer an option. She asked for a second key at check-in and they said no, one passenger one key, I guess for the same reason that they now charge $4.95 for the RFID wrist bands they were giving out instead of room keys.

With 80 kt winds, you are just getting back into the top of the Beaufort scale, and out of hurricane winds.

Hi Lou,

Anything sustained above 64 KT is considered Hurricane Force. Winds have to get below 64 knots or they are in 12 Beaufort. Passengers are describing an all white sea, what you would expect in 12 Beaufort.

I believe the worst is behind them. It is still very bad, but improving. I have satellite AIS and the ship is still pointed into the wind and not making any headway towards Port Canaveral. I doubt the Capt. will turn the ship until the winds get below 40 to 45 KT.

The winds on the south side of this low are stronger than the winds on the north side. I do not think that was expected or forecasted. I realize this low bombed out as predicted, but the strongest winds south of the low center are a bit unusual.

Good luck to all aboard. Those aware of your situation are praying for you.

Leanna Petrone has a short video and update on Twitter. News stations have already asked her if they can use video. Won't be long now before it's on the news I guess.

Again, hardly anything I would classify as actual damage. Chairs tipped over and tables slid over. 7 second video of nothing really. News would be wasting their time with that.

Edited by Powersboyee2

Well it looks as though we're now heading south with a 15-20 knot tailwind. It's still a bit bumpy but nowhere near what it was like 3-4 hours ago. Going to try and get some sleep now. What a night.

First of all, prayers go out to everyone on board. Their safety is obviously what is important right now.

However those that say that RC had no clue of the capability of this storm are misinformed. As others have stated, weather models picked up on this storm well in advance. I have attached a graphic from the GFS weather model that came out around 11am on Saturday 2/6. The graphic (valid for Sunday evening 2/7, which would have given more than 24 hours notice) shows guidance that suggest winds up to 80 knots associated with this low pressure system. Unsafe sea conditions were being advertised.

I am not a meteorologist, I just follow the weather as a hobby. This particular weather model is free to access to the general public, I can only assume that RC would have access too? Not saying it was the captain's fault, but it seems somebody at RC made reckless or misinformed decision.

image.jpg.751e8bf761d58fd1366b750be42a4b10.jpg

That's me standing straight up. It gets kinda comical...I know the crew is doing everything they can to keep us safe.
I would have taken that picture with a bottle of wine or a glass in my hand.... then again.. no one to push the shutter. Edited by xlxo

Well it looks as though we're now heading south with a 15-20 knot tailwind. It's still a bit bumpy but nowhere near what it was like 3-4 hours ago. Going to try and get some sleep now. What a night.

Praying that everything starts calming down now, and hopefully you can get some well deserved rest. I'm heading to bed, as well, (but I'm on land). Will check back in the morning to this board, in hopes that everything is okay.

Something similar to this happened on a HAL ship a few years ago near the southern tip of South America. Big storm approaching so the Captain changed course to put the ship in safer waters. Trouble is, the storm had other ideas and changed course too such that the cruise ship was now in its path and too slow to escape, they too had a wild ride. It happens.

obviously what is shown in the photo is perhaps an easy fix as some are saying. however, nobody will know for sure until daylight and an inspection is performed exactly what other damage has occurred.

it is certainly an unfortunate and harrowing experience for all onboard including the captain. Seasoned or not, I would imagine the realization of the number of lives he is in charge of keeping safe is daunting.

Let me just fill you in, I'm loyal to RC also (Diamond Plus and been sailing with them since 1987) but here's the facts: My 89 year old aunt's closet door flew off the hinges and was sliding across the cabin floor, she uses a walker and was afraid to try to get out of bed, she had the only key to her cabin with her as RC only gave her one (only one passenger in the cabin so one key), she pushed the medical alert button in her cabin, someone called her to ask what the problem was but after 2 hours no one showed up to help so I went out looking for a security person who could open her door. That is when I saw the ceiling and also encountered three crew members who when I told them no one responded the told me about the 2 heart attacks and that they were responding to the most severe emergencies first. So as other have said, if you don't know all the facts you shouldn't comment!

Not trying to be critical but although some internal damage to the cabin is potentially scary in not sure it is a medical emergency.

I'm sure the medical teams were dealing with medical issues and perhaps that's why they have not came.

All of those critical of the captain, it looks it was predicted to have wind speeds of 75. Anthem could have easily handled that, the TA had a good few days of 80ish winds and swells of up to 18. The movement was noticeable but in no way dangerous. The ship operated as normal - venues open, indoor pools open, people out and about. If this is what was expected the captain knew the ship be fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by cynicalscotsman

First of all, prayers go out to everyone on board. Their safety is obviously what is important right now.

However those that say that RC had no clue of the capability of this storm are misinformed. As others have stated, weather models picked up on this storm well in advance. I have attached a graphic from the GFS weather model that came out around 11am on Saturday 2/6. The graphic (valid for Sunday evening 2/7, which would have given more than 24 hours notice) shows guidance that suggest winds up to 80 knots associated with this low pressure system. Unsafe sea conditions were being advertised.

I am not a meteorologist, I just follow the weather as a hobby. This particular weather model is free to access to the general public, I can only assume that RC would have access too? Not saying it was the captain's fault, but it seems somebody at RC made reckless or misinformed decision.

Your weather model shows speeds of up to 90....

Where anthem is when the storm hit shows speeds of 30.

Your weather model shows speeds of up to 90....

Where anthem is when the storm hit shows speeds of 30.

Not certain if you are agreeing or disagreeing with me. I am not sure of the exact location that the ship encountered unnavigable conditions, and also weather models don't nail down systems with 100% accuracy, they just paint a general picture of what to expect. What I do know is that the models had a consensus for a strong storm system developing off the eastern seaboard capable of hurricane force winds. I cannot imagine that heading in any general direction of said storm system would be in best interest of the passengers or the ship. Sure maybe they thought they could navigate around the storm, but it seems like a pretty big risk given the modeled strength at the time. An altered course or delayed sailing would have been more pragmatic in my opinion, but then they would deal with raging customers. Just my 2 cents.

Edited by Buckinbronco