Live...mostly...from Anthem

KarinaGW

I'm disagreeing with you.... (My previous post)

All of those critical of the captain, it looks it was predicted to have wind speeds of 75. Anthem could have easily handled that, the TA had a good few days of 80ish winds and swells of up to 18. The movement was noticeable but in no way dangerous. The ship operated as normal - venues open, indoor pools open, people out and about. If this is what was expected the captain knew the ship be fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 30th cruise but never joined cruise critic till now. We are finally moving south away from a massive storm we've been stuck in for almost 12 hours. Around 6 pm we got turned crossways in a whiteout situation with winds hitting 138 knots per the tv monitors. We are in a grand loft suite on back of ship and wind was ripping our door open and throwing our deck furniture around and over the bannister. One wall of deck is totally gouged up from chairs slamming into it. The other partition between us and neighboring suite blew off. I was trying to hold door closed. It was locked but wind was sucking it away from the frame.

Captain started doing hourly updates but had someone else do them since he could focus on keeping ship oriented. Crew struggled to turn ship into wind but captain said it was almost impossible due to violent shifts in wind.

As to the 45 degree listing, it was pretty close. Watched curtains for reference and they got close to 45 degrees more than once. Couch slid across the cabin and everything that wasn't secured was airborne. Luckily wireless stayed on and I was looking up specs on how far a ship can list before capsizing. Found a credible source that said they can handle a 60 degree list and recover which gave us a lot of comfort. Tv bridge info stopped giving wave height info around 6:00.. The last number I saw was 25'. It got worse from there.

They were finally able to turn ship nose into the wind but they struggled to keep it there. Plus anytime we got positioned straight into the wind, the waves slamming into the ship made it feel and sound like we were driving a car over a railroad tie. However we learned to appreciate this as it helped the rocking to subside.

Given the punishment the ship took, I was amazed it held together and that all systems remained operational. We've been sequestered to cabins since 3:00 pm yesterday, but I'm venturing out now that the worst is past to see what kind of damage we took. We are still listing back and forth at perhaps 5 degrees which still makes it difficult to walk, but nothing like we've had. The camera rotation which usually shows several areas of the ship ended up showing just the top pool deck so wondering if these areas took some damage.

Not sure how we sustained straight line winds of that magnitude without it being a hurricane. Maybe somebody smarter than me can elaborate about how common this is.

Our current location is

32 degrees 58.51 N

076 degrees 24.88W

Fluctuate between 0.9kts to 6kts

Course range 327 to 340

Humidity 90%

Sea depth 880m

12 beaufort.

hPa 997

Can someone please tell us what is going on and how much longer this will last?? I dont ttust the captain and wonder if i should be in a life boat? Are they any safer than being on the ship?

Swaying like crazy

First of all: keep calm!

The safest place is in your room! Storms like this FEEL scary and extremely uncomfortable. However, ships are build to take it!!! It is just not comfortable for passengers.

The danger comes from slipping/falling and/or beeing hit by things flying and sliding about - so stay in your room, ride it out and listen to any announcements made. It will pass!

Edited by Miaminice

On 30th cruise but never joined cruise critic till now. We are finally moving south away from a massive storm we've been stuck in for almost 12 hours. Around 6 pm we got turned crossways in a whiteout situation with winds hitting 138 knots per the tv monitors. We are in a grand loft suite on back of ship and wind was ripping our door open and throwing our deck furniture around and over the bannister. One wall of deck is totally gouged up from chairs slamming into it. The other partition between us and neighboring suite blew off. I was trying to hold door closed. It was locked but wind was sucking it away from the frame.

Captain started doing hourly updates but had someone else do them since he could focus on keeping ship oriented. Crew struggled to turn ship into wind but captain said it was almost impossible due to violent shifts in wind.

As to the 45 degree listing, it was pretty close. Watched curtains for reference and they got close to 45 degrees more than once. Couch slid across the cabin and everything that wasn't secured was airborne. Luckily wireless stayed on and I was looking up specs on how far a ship can list before capsizing. Found a credible source that said they can handle a 60 degree list and recover which gave us a lot of comfort. Tv bridge info stopped giving wave height info around 6:00.. The last number I saw was 25'. It got worse from there.

They were finally able to turn ship nose into the wind but they struggled to keep it there. Plus anytime we got positioned straight into the wind, the waves slamming into the ship made it feel and sound like we were driving a car over a railroad tie. However we learned to appreciate this as it helped the rocking to subside.

Given the punishment the ship took, I was amazed it held together and that all systems remained operational. We've been sequestered to cabins since 3:00 pm yesterday, but I'm venturing out now that the worst is past to see what kind of damage we took. We are still listing back and forth at perhaps 5 degrees which still makes it difficult to walk, but nothing like we've had. The camera rotation which usually shows several areas of the ship ended up showing just the top pool deck so wondering if these areas took some damage.

Not sure how we sustained straight line winds of that magnitude without it being a hurricane. Maybe somebody smarter than me can elaborate about how common this is.

Thank God you, the ship, passengers and crew are safe! What an amazing story.

Were the chairs and tables moving around in the cabins? We had a CL on the Allure for the TA. The door to the suite was on the 17th floor and the bed was on the 18th floor. I can't imagine how much that would be rocking. Was there a place where passengers in the higher floors could go to get away from so much swaying?

I finally fell half asleep when things started getting better around 1:30am. Just woke up at 3:30 due to the movement. I have never been so relieved to see us moving! Thank you so much to the captain and the crew! Waters still rocky but things are clearly improved. Going to try to sleep for real now. :-)

Were the chairs and tables moving around in the cabins? We had a CL on the Allure for the TA. The door to the suite was on the 17th floor and the bed was on the 18th floor. I can't imagine how much that would be rocking. Was there a place where passengers in the higher floors could go to get away from so much swaying?

Unlike the Allure or Oasis, the RLS 8320 and other Loft Suites (Owner, Grand, Sky) on the Anthem are located 9 decks lower (deck 8&9) in the aft, so there are far less motions in comparison.

My parents are on board. They are in their mid 60s and don't really handle stressful situations well. I cant imagine what they are going through or how they're reacting. I booked this cruise for them for Christmas and I am freaking out. I feel responsible for the horror they went through and if anything happened to them...I don't know what I will do.

I live in Ireland, I know it's still early morning on the east coast but have there been any updates?

Thank you to everyone keeping us updated. And I'm praying for everyone's safety. I'm so worried.

My parents are on board. They are in their mid 60s and don't really handle stressful situations well. I cant imagine what they are going through or how they're reacting. I booked this cruise for them for Christmas and I am freaking out. I feel responsible for the horror they went through and if anything happened to them...I don't know what I will do.

I live in Ireland, I know it's still early morning on the east coast but have there been any updates?

Thank you to everyone keeping us updated. And I'm praying for everyone's safety. I'm so worried.[/quote

That was a wonderful gift, you had no way of knowing this would happen.

I am sure your parents are fine and will have one hell of a story to tell!:)

Reader

Thank you to everyone keeping us updated. And I'm praying for everyone's safety. I'm so worried.[/quote

That was a wonderful gift, you had no way of knowing this would happen.

I am sure your parents are fine and will have one hell of a story to tell!:)

Reader

Thank you so much for your kindness...I needed that right now! My husband is at work and I'm sitting at home thinking the worst. Thanks again!!

Thank you so much for your kindness...I needed that right now! My husband is at work and I'm sitting at home thinking the worst. Thanks again!!

A quick story for you : I sent my kids down to Florida for their babymoon a few years ago. I booked them into a hotel and later found out that the bears were having their convention there:D The bears are a gay Men's group...lol My son got quite a bit of attention to the amusement of his wife as he is a weight lifter.

The kids had fun, although some pools and venues were closed at certain times. (It all turned out well, yours will too)

Reader

Edited by Reader0108598

A quick story for you : I sent my kids down to Florida for their babymoon a few years ago. I booked them into a hotel and later found out that the bears were having their convention there:D The bears are a gay Men's group...lol The kids had fun, although some pools and venues were closed at certain times.

(Hopefully this will make you smile.....)

Reader

hahaha!!! It did! Needed that...thank you!!

I finally fell half asleep when things started getting better around 1:30am. Just woke up at 3:30 due to the movement. I have never been so relieved to see us moving! Thank you so much to the captain and the crew! Waters still rocky but things are clearly improved. Going to try to sleep for real now. :-)

Hope you are sound asleep :)

I was on the Anthem of the Seas when it was delayed coming back into Bayonne for the Jan 15th sailing. We experienced rough seas, but nothing like the passengers experienced yesterday. However, people are quick to blame Royal Caribbean. I can say, with confidence, that Royal Caribbean and the captain would not take a chance on a storm. They may have known they would encounter some wind and swells, but not to the extent they did. Weather changes quickly. I'm sure the last thing Royal Caribbean wants to deal with it injured, or worse, passengers and a huge ship being out of service for an extended period of time.

Sorry, but in addition to the 45-degree angle thing, there's no way you are experiencing 125mph winds.

That's category 3 hurricane winds, and there are currently no hurricanes in the Atlantic.

This low pressure is what is known by meteorologist as a bomb. These are rapidly intensifying areas of low pressure and are also referred to as Nor'easters and winds sometimes reach over Hurricane Force. Unlike a hurricane, the winds are not concentrated near the center. Instead, these system produce strong winds over a larger area.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=49018495&postcount=1

We are on board Anthem. Yesterday was certainly an experience of a lifetime. It has given me new respect for this amazing lady called Anthem of the Seas and her Captain and crew. 150mph winds, 25+ ft waves, driving rain and Anthem took it like a champ. Yes I was scared, but the Captain kept us updated and things calm. We are in a suite on deck 12. All loose items were flug around. Dishes broken, glass in bathroom flung to for and broke. We put our loose items in the sinks and as much as we could away. It was a wild ride. M&Ms from mini bar for dinner. It was certainly an experience of a lifetime. I am in awe of this ship and what she can handle and want to thank the captain and crew for keeping us safe. Still confined to cabin and we are rocking. But we are underway again finally.

We are on board Anthem. Suite on deck 12. It has certainly been an experience of a life time. It has given me new respect for this Amazing lady called Anthem of the Seas. She took those 150mph winds and 25+ft waves like a champ. And the Captain and crew are incredible. It was a treacherous situation and they handled it admirably. We are underway finally, still confined to cabin, awaiting 8am announcement.

So glad the ship is moving again! Prayers for everyone on the ship! I can't even imagine what everyone went through! Everyone on dry land will be watching this post for updates.

Yesterday was our 1 year mark to our cruise on the Anthem and I will say it is a bit scary thinking that we could run into something like this.