Live...mostly...from Anthem

KarinaGW

I finally fell half asleep when things started getting better around 1:30am. Just woke up at 3:30 due to the movement. I have never been so relieved to see us moving! Thank you so much to the captain and the crew! Waters still rocky but things are clearly improved. Going to try to sleep for real now. :-)

That must have been a relief, and the worst is over. So very terrifying for all of you, and then you have elders and children. Read too that a couple people had heart attacks. Just awful. Prayers for all. What a "clean up" the ship will have, plus to verify any damage outside of visual. I'm guessing they will cancel the next cruise?

Edited by LuCruise

Karina, you and Laura (transam84) are giving us great info....I know I sailed with you many years ago, and Laura is a good friend....I am following info that you are both providing, both on and off CC......

Thanks for the great info, and stay safe....

Yes, just my opinion walking around the ship. I was on a 16,000 ton ship in the 1992 hurricane that hit Hawaii and this was far worse.

I question whether you are even on board - everyone seems to be confined to their rooms but you seem to be walking around freely and you know what's happened to the roof on deck 14 and that people are clutching cushions on deck 4. You say you're taking pics but not producing evidence. I smell a sensationalist troll.

It is interesting that MarineTraffic does not show the ship.

It's outside the range of MarineTraffic. If you notice the green areas when you look at the maps in a less magnified picture, there are areas that aren't covered. It's not unusual to not see ships off the east coast of the US for a lot of their transit.

I've also noticed that Anthem doesn't show up at all, even in it's last location a lot of the time. As it gets closer to FL, it should appear.

Edited by BND

I question whether you are even on board - everyone seems to be confined to their rooms but you seem to be walking around freely and you know what's happened to the roof on deck 14 and that people are clutching cushions on deck 4. You say you're taking pics but not producing evidence. I smell a sensationalist troll.

He already explained why he was out ,and referring to someone as a sensationalist troll...is not nice!

It is no wonder people are reluctant to post (their) expieriences:

Reader

Edited by Reader0108598

Adding my prayers for frightened Anthem o/t Seas passengers. I've sailed enough on Royal Caribbean to know (and doubters can verify this with a little research) that keeping a schedule takes priority over passenger comfort. But know that if the safety of passengers, crew and ship were in doubt, your Captain would have put into a safe harbor.

Sea Dawg

I'm in North Carolina and last night our local weather guy was commenting on how quickly the conditions of the storm changed. He called it a weather bomb and also said if you put this storm next to hurricane Irene they would look identical. So sorry for those who had to ride this out. I can't even imagine the experience. Glad people seem to be safe and feeling better.

He already explained why he was out ,and referring to someone as a sensationalist troll...is not nice!

It is no wonder people are reluctant to post (their) expieriences:

Reader

He's also the person that said that everyone will be disembarking, which appears to just be an opinion.

Our current location is

32 degrees 58.51 N

076 degrees 24.88W

Fluctuate between 0.9kts to 6kts

Course range 327 to 340

Humidity 90%

Sea depth 880m

12 beaufort.

hPa 997

Can someone please tell us what is going on and how much longer this will last?? I dont ttust the captain and wonder if i should be in a life boat? Are they any safer than being on the ship?

Swaying like crazy

This is many hours later so you are past it but they never would have been able to launch the lifeboats in those conditions. It would have been an unmitigated disaster if it came to it

Not sure how we sustained straight line winds of that magnitude without it being a hurricane. Maybe somebody smarter than me can elaborate about how common this is.

The wind showed on the cabin tvs is apparent wind, not the true wind. Ask an officer on board if he/she can tell you the true wind speed.

Sorry, but in addition to the 45-degree angle thing, there's no way you are experiencing 125mph winds.

That's category 3 hurricane winds, and there are currently no hurricanes in the Atlantic.

You don't have to have a hurricane to experience hurricane force winds.

East Coast storm is heinous. Captain has sent everyone to their cabins.

....the ship is dealing with 115mph winds and severe seas. Watching out our balcony is exhilarating and terrifying. Much water came though the deck doors on deck 5 before they shut the watertights. The captain is holding the ship in place against the wind possibly by sheer will. My cabin is making weird noises. At least we have 2 bottles of champagne. Hugs to all.

Sending well wishes from Arlington, VA as well!!!!!

We are on board Anthem. Suite on deck 12. It has certainly been an experience of a life time. It has given me new respect for this Amazing lady called Anthem of the Seas. She took those 150mph winds and 25+ft waves like a champ. And the Captain and crew are incredible. It was a treacherous situation and they handled it admirably. We are underway finally, still confined to cabin, awaiting 8am announcement.

That's cause your from NJ good work

Question for those condemning the Captain and the decision to continue...

What do YOU think should have been done? Cancel the sailing? Re-route? To WHERE? Really just curious as to how YOU would have done it better.

For those onboard, I'm glad today looks to be shaping up to be a better day. Enjoy the rest of your cruise! :)