Aft Balcony Stateroom on Rhapsody

Has anybody sailed in an aft balcony on Rhapsody? My husband and I are booked in 7660 in December, and we are really excited about the room location. However, I have read some reviews that those rooms can be prone to noise and vibrations from the engines. He's a light sleeper, and that will keep him up.

Thanks!

There is vibration when docking. It's like "magic fingers" on the old 25 cent bed machines if you are still bed. But most of the time it is not bothersome at all. :D We watched the wine glasses vibrate off of the coffee table one morning, before we caught them.....we find humor in strange places. :D

Edited by Coralc

We have an aft junior suite balcony "Around the Horn" Feb 28 cruise. With all of the cruises we have done with RCI we thought it would be a great way to see the "bottom" of South America. I was on the Allure in November in a balcony room mid ship and there was so much squeaking and rattling in the ceiling and walls they offered me another stateroom - during the cruise.

We were on the sister ship Vision in Dec/Jan in the corner aft cabin 7652 and we didn't notice any vibration. The only thing we noticed a couple of times was a little creaking noise from the where the curtain or door area. You didn't hear it all the time but it happened a couple of times. Sometimes I think it's the way the door is shut or maybe just the fact that the ship is getting older. I would not hesitate to go on the aft part of the ship.

Edited by Droop

We also had an aft JS on Rhapsody, Hawaii to Vancouver, in 2014. I think it was our favorite cabin ever! We enjoyed room service breakfast on our huge balcony each morning and it even arrived piping hot (every morning)! If there was any vibration, it was slight as I don't remember anything negative about our cabin!

We have sailed twice on Rhapsody, Cabin 8596 (starboard corner) and Cabin 8102 (aft center}. 8596 is right above your cabin. The Balcony his HUGE (or as Bernie would say YUUUUGE). We had a table and 4 chairs, and 2 loungers. You can sit around the side with enough room for 1 lounger facing aft. We had 10 on the balcony with plenty of room for more. As for vibration, it didn't really bother us, but our friends on Deck 7 didn't like it. So you may get some. But in my opinion it's well worth it for the views! As I said, it didn't bother us, but we were one more deck higher. We were in Alaska and again Greek Isles. For Alaska it's a MUST. We all gathered and sat on our balcony while the Captain did 5 circles in front of the Glacier. Much better than being in a public space.

If you do stay aft, you will find a long walk to the elevators. But during the day there is a "secret stairway" to the Spa just up the hall on your left. Go up the stairs and try the door. If open you go into the Spa reception area and can go out to the Solarium and Park Cafe. Very convenient if that's your destination.

Anyway, all I can say is we did it twice, and I'd do it again in a heartbeat. But the vibration didn't bother me. Only your DH can decide if it's too much of a risk for him.

We have sailed twice on Rhapsody, Cabin 8596 (starboard corner) and Cabin 8102 (aft center}. 8596 is right above your cabin. The Balcony his HUGE (or as Bernie would say YUUUUGE). We had a table and 4 chairs, and 2 loungers. You can sit around the side with enough room for 1 lounger facing aft. We had 10 on the balcony with plenty of room for more. As for vibration, it didn't really bother us, but our friends on Deck 7 didn't like it. So you may get some. But in my opinion it's well worth it for the views! As I said, it didn't bother us, but we were one more deck higher. We were in Alaska and again Greek Isles. For Alaska it's a MUST. We all gathered and sat on our balcony while the Captain did 5 circles in front of the Glacier. Much better than being in a public space.

If you do stay aft, you will find a long walk to the elevators. But during the day there is a "secret stairway" to the Spa just up the hall on your left. Go up the stairs and try the door. If open you go into the Spa reception area and can go out to the Solarium and Park Cafe. Very convenient if that's your destination.

Anyway, all I can say is we did it twice, and I'd do it again in a heartbeat. But the vibration didn't bother me. Only your DH can decide if it's too much of a risk for him.

We are planning on booking an Alaskan adventure for summer of '17 or '18. Good to know that the views are great from the aft of the ship. Thank for the tip!

There is vibration when docking. It's like "magic fingers" on the old 25 cent bed machines if you are still bed. But most of the time it is not bothersome at all. :D We watched the wine glasses vibrate off of the coffee table one morning, before we caught them.....we find humor in strange places. :D

There is no extra charge for the extra vibration at sea, so enjoy the experience!

We've done the same itineraries as Papaflamingo did- including being on the same Greek Isle cruise.

For Alaska, I would like to agree MORE with the observation that the aft cabins are the best. We were out there from 6am to noon on the day we visited the glacier. Just an amazing day.

We really did like having the same cabin on the starboard side for Europe- as the Greek Isle cruise have a lot to see.

One note about vibration- while we are ok with it, it is more when the ship is late, and has to run faster. Leaving Civaivecchia, the ship was about 3 hours late, and had to make Messina at a particular time to pass on time between Italy and Sicily. That evening was worse than nominal. We still slept, but you could tell that the vibration was worse.

We have no hesitation getting an aft cabin anytime.

• 2 months later...
We were on the sister ship Vision in Dec/Jan in the corner aft cabin 7652 and we didn't notice any vibration. The only thing we noticed a couple of times was a little creaking noise from the where the curtain or door area. You didn't hear it all the time but it happened a couple of times. Sometimes I think it's the way the door is shut or maybe just the fact that the ship is getting older. I would not hesitate to go on the aft part of the ship.
Would you by any chance have any photos of the room or the balcony?....Thanks....K.O.:)